Who is the best player in AFL history for a clone team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Current day I think Charlie Curnow would be great in this scenario.

Roughead for me. He could play forward. Had stints in both the ruck and midfield. Also started off down back.

When we lost Rough in 2011? Our season was always going to be difficult because of his versatility. Losing Bud in 2014 wasn’t as bad, as we had the players to cover for him. It was losing Rough that would hurt us, as he had that dependability.

I'd go Wayne Carey.

Pretty much played in most positions during his career (vague memory of him briefly at CHB but not sure).
Yep.

Carey played in the middle, down back and forward. Pagan would move him down back if we were being beaten there

I agree with all the names listed. To be named I think you need good general skills, reasonable specific skills and be tall and preferably big. Pav, Goodes and Bont all fit these criteria.

I would add Roughhead and Cox to the list.

Pav probably still my choice though.

I wonder how Buddy would go though? He was too good to ever really get a chance to play anywhere but forward.
You put way too much emphasis on being tall and way too little emphasis on speed, mobility and spread which is what the modern game requires. There's diminishing returns with height once you reach a certain point here, once your into the 193+ you're competitive in this scenario.

Someone like 22 Franklins would be better than 22 Rougheads for that reason.

Pavlich was selected in the All-Australian Teams six times: in 2002 (fullback), 2003 (half forward flank), 2005 (centre half forward), 2006 (interchange), 2007 (full forward) and 2008 (interchange).

Pretty handy utility.

Unless you rate ruck work disproportionately (and so favour Goodes), it has to be Pav. Far far superior as a forward, a more accomplished backman (though not elite in that position) and probably on par as a midfielder.
Pav equal to way better than Goodes in every position on the ground bar ruck

Unless you rate ruck work disproportionately (and so favour Goodes), it has to be Pav. Far far superior as a forward, a more accomplished backman (though not elite in that position) and probably on par as a midfielder.
Pav equal to way better than Goodes in every position on the ground bar ruck

Midfield too. Also Goodes was a serviceable forward even though he only started playing there at the end of his career. I bet he would have been a great defender if given the chance too.

18 Stephen Micheal's would go close to being one of the all-time great teams, although not 'AFL' history.

For those without the requisite age or national exposure Barry Robran was as versatile as they come.

In the 'modern' era, maybe a team of David Mundy's would put up a ripping challenge. Great finisher and of a suitable size.

In the 'modern' era, maybe a team of David Mundy's would put up a ripping challenge. Great finisher and of a suitable size.
Probably not so much. We were pretty desperate for a second tall forward early 2010s. Everybody 190+ was talked about how he'd go except Mundy. Did ok as HFF/HBF at times but was mostly a natural mid (and a decent 3rd man up in ruck contests when that was still allowed).

Pavlich was selected in the All-Australian Teams six times: in 2002 (fullback), 2003 (half forward flank), 2005 (centre half forward), 2006 (interchange), 2007 (full forward) and 2008 (interchange).

Pretty handy utility.
And he was still stiff with AAs
He should have been in the fwd line in 06 and 08 not on the pine.
In 2011 he should of been on the interchange winning the bnf from the midfield averaging:
1 goal 24 disposals 4 marks 4 tackles
In 2012 he should of been an AA fwd as well ave 3 goals 17.5d 6m

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peak Koutoufides?

I'm going with Kouta too.

Played everywhere. Mid. Forward. Wing.

Even did a bit of backup ruckwork & floated across CHB.

Physcially capable of playing any position.

As athletically capable as any player in history.

Aerobic capacity excellent.

Would be a brownlow winner if it wasn't for injury.

OK going to watch the 1999 prelim now :D

Options above lack pace.

Franklins v Abletts Sr is the pick.

Problem for the Abletts is that none of them would pass to the other Abletts, they would all be having shots from 75m. The Franklins would work better as a team, but their backman would struggle to defend. Interesting. Would be high scoring.

Peak Kouta comfortably then can’t split peak Goodes and Buckley.Pace compared to Kouta the worry for Pavlich and bigger types.
Nigel Smart was another player who could play anywhere. We usually used him to on Kouta & Ablett. Also, played important finals up forward.

Nigel Smart was another player who could play anywhere. We usually used him to on Kouta & Ablett. Also, played important finals up forward.
Interesting choice.

Fun fact - I can only think of two AFL players called Nigel off the top of my head and they’ve got 5 premierships between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back