Who is the best player in AFL history for a clone team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Curnow wouldn't be able to hit a target. Danger and Fyfe would struggle in this area too. Ablett's kicking power / length on both feet would make him problematic.
I don't have statistics to support this but Curnow going i50 is incredible, if only we could have Charlie kicking to Charlie i50. He is actually a pretty good kick, but he does take on risky options without any real penetration on his kicks so I do know what you mean.

That's fine, but would Ablett Snr realistically beat Curnow in the air? Would he beat Fyfe or Danger on the ground? Does he have the tank to go with any of them?

He be giving away 6cm at every marking contest against Goodes and Pavlich. They are two players who have excellent skills as well, and I know as a Swans fan Goodes was also very efficient ball in hand.
I think Pavlich is probably the consensus favourite for this thread so far. Goodes is absolutely an extremely viable option too.

For instance I don't think someone like Gary Ablett Jnr would do well in a clone team as yes he was an amazing player, but clone Ablett Jnr team would be pretty terrible in the ruck and is obviously not going to be good in the key position roles.
An extra GAJ at the drop of the ball though to win a clearance though? That elite disposal by hand and foot hitting up one of six GAJ's leading into space inside F50... KPD he'd be in trouble but that team would live or die on it's ability to win the ball back in midfield against whichever cloned player you're playing at KPF :D

interesting concept, apply players PB Stat in a single game and see how they fair in each third of the ground.
Pav
Defence
Rebound 50- 11
Tackles- 10
One percenters- 7

Mid
Hitouts- 8
Possessions- 36
Clearances- 12

Fwd
Goals- 9
I50- 11
Marks i50- 8

Kouta

Defence
Rebound 50- 8
Tackles- 13
One percenters- 7

Mid
Hitouts- 7
Possessions- 39
Clearances- 14

Fwd
Goals- 6
I50- 10
Marks i50- 5

(Prime) Pav better fwd kouta better mid similar defence but goes to Pav with an AA defenders guernsey

If you’re talking hypothetically, probably Ablett Sr. I mean based on skill, athleticism, leap, mark, strength: he pretty much has the tools for literally every position bar maybe ruck and his leap probably covers that anyway.
What would the coaches do on weeknights when the 22 Ablett Snr clones failed to show up for training?

Kardinia-Park-Surrounds_0000_Kardinia-Park_1-main-entrance.jpg

For each team?

Adelaide - Smart
Brisbane - Brennan over Voss
Carlton- Koutafides
Collingwood - Buckley
Essendon - Hird
Fremantle - Pavlich
Geelong - Ablett senior
Gold Coast - ?
GWS - ?
Hawthorn - Franklin
Melbourne - Lyon over Stynes
North Melbourne Archer over Carey
Port Adelaide - Westhoff
Richmond - Richardson
St Kilda - Goddard over Riewoldt
Sydney - Goodes
West Coast - Nic Nat over Embley
Western Bulldogs - Bontempelli
Nic Nat would have to the worst choice I've seen posted - Could not read the game, just chased the ball. Imagine an AFL game with 22 202cm players averaging 1.8 marks per game 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

Physically Jack Watts would be the perfect player - had the height speed and agility to play any position. At various times he showed that he could be an elite player in any position on the field. He did well as a small and tall forward, wing, ruck rover, defense and had a very good season as a backup ruckman.

Pity he had no desire to play the game. Can't believe he made it through the AFL draft process and nobody realised. Such a waste of talent.

From West Coast probably Elliot Yeo. AA as a defender and mid, runs both ways elite athlete with a great leap and burst, can also go fwd and kick goals.

From my team, a former player that comes to mind is Chad Cornes, started as a very talented forward, went back to win a flag as a key defender, then picked up AA honours rolling through the midfield. Averaged about 20 possessions over his career which is pretty impressive.

Wohldnt win this hypothetical contest but not the worst nominee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure Fev is a gentle and considerate lover.
I met him once outside the Carlton gift shop, he checked what number I got put on my jumper (it was 5, for Judd) and he told me I still had time to put a 2 infront of it, then he smashed my mum which is what Ling was referring to

Brodie Grundy, assuming they didn’t all have a big fat sook about playing anywhere but ruck, useless campaigner.

Bilcavs is the most versatile he has played everywhere but not with the dominance of the other candidates in one position.

I don't have statistics to support this but Curnow going i50 is incredible, if only we could have Charlie kicking to Charlie i50. He is actually a pretty good kick, but he does take on risky options without any real penetration on his kicks so I do know what you mean.

That's fine, but would Ablett Snr realistically beat Curnow in the air? Would he beat Fyfe or Danger on the ground? Does he have the tank to go with any of them?

I think Pavlich is probably the consensus favourite for this thread so far. Goodes is absolutely an extremely viable option too.
Ablett regularly played against 193cm full backs like Langford. No one has been quicker, had a better leap of been stronger in a marking cintect of over a ground ball in the history of the game. Endurance is not a huge problems as you can rotate all 22 GAS around the field. The only problems would be attitude And defensive pressure. Pavlich and Goodes would be too slow against a team of Abletts or Franklins.

For me it would be Goodes and Kouta comfortably. Both are too good of Runners for the other gun versatile taller types and obviously too big for the rest.
Goodes would be my pick

Watched him play at CHB on Carey at PP once…kicked 5 that day!
Dardy mcCrafty kicked 5 one day too but if you’ve only kicked 30+ twice in your career hardly a forward.
Pav did it 11 times 6x he kicked 60+
And he has a defender AA guernsey to unlike kouta.
Is there any other player in history that has got an AA guernsey at full back and kicked 700 goals like Pav ???

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back