Who is the best player in AFL history for a clone team?

Remove this Banner Ad

My own team, Pav AA as FB,CHB and CHF, I think as well as going into the middle when the acid was on.

Left field, Luke McPharlin, HF and HB as well as playing on a wing occasionally.

Gary Ablett Sr easily.

So many mentions of Goodes, but he'd be way too slow to keep up with many great midfielders once the ball hit the deck.

So the best player ever played with an average group? Doesn’t change he is the best player.
Best Player Ever?

I dont think so..

MAYBE the most exciting...

Wayne Carey, Ron Barassi, Leigh Matthews.. They could be in the GOAT catagory, and they all dragged thier team across the line multiple times for multiple flags.

Ablett was surrounded by all time champs of the game between 89 to 95, and yet failed 5 times to win it....

Spare the hubris mate

Best Player Ever?

I dont think so..

Wayne Carey, Ron Barassi, Leigh Matthews.. They could be in the GOAT catagory, and they all dragged thier team across the line multiple times for multiple flags.

Ablett was surrounded by all time champs of the game between 89 to 95, and yet failed 5 times to win it....

Spare the hubris mate

Winning a premiership as a player doesn't make you a better footballer, thats american rubbish.

Those guys played in far better teams than Ablett did.

Who care these champions ablett played with?

And to a very large number of people Ablett is the goat with a great deal of daylight between him and whoever might be next.

Best Player Ever?

I dont think so..

Spare the hubris mate

All time champions?
Hocking & Couch are all time champions who would get a game at any club in virtually any era.

Leigh Matthews would have won zero premierships had he been drafted to Geelong and not the Hawthorn footy club.

Wayne Carey is widely regarded as the GOAT but even he played for a side which contained superior defenders than what Geelong ever did in the 80's to early 90's.
I mean Geelong had Tim Darcy matched up on Jason Dunstall in the 1989 grand final.
In 1992, they had Andrew Rogers assigned to Peter Sumich!

Give Geelong a Mick Martyn or Chris Mew and they win a flag.
Guys like McGrath, Shulze, Rogers, Yeates were always battling against the best.

Gary Ablett Sr easily.

So many mentions of Goodes, but he'd be way too slow to keep up with many great midfielders once the ball hit the deck.

Problem is fans couldn't go watch training as a cloned team of Gary Ablett snrs are probably not there. A coach would also be a waste of time just let the Gary's do there thing

Goodes was fast, faster than most give him credit for. He ran out of the stoppage with opposition players not landing a finger on him more than once.

Good of him to sprint away from renowned "speedster" Ben Howlett, who was taken #30 in the 2009 rookie draft, after being passed over for being too slow in his draft year.

For those saying Buddy, if it’s gonna be any Hawk - it’s Roughie.

Buddy was superb with the ball in hand, but he’d be useless in the guts. Roughie on the other hand is slightly behind him in terms of run, better on the lead and mark and would easily trounce him if put in the middle.

Plus, Roughie was a pinch ruck to boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those saying Buddy, if it’s gonna be any Hawk - it’s Roughie.

Buddy was superb with the ball in hand, but he’d be useless in the guts. Roughie on the other hand is slightly behind him in terms of run, better on the lead and mark and would easily trounce him if put in the middle.

Plus, Roughie was a pinch ruck to boot.
Imagine what rough could've achieved if he didn't play stop-gap for half his career.

People forget he was more of a utility, and rarely played a full game in attack

Winning a premiership as a player doesn't make you a better footballer, thats american rubbish.

Those guys played in far better teams than Ablett did.

Who care these champions ablett played with?

And to a very large number of people Ablett is the goat with a great deal of daylight between him and whoever might be next.

Ok. Let me see. We can take the losing grand final sides, 89-95 as a measure

Decent to top notch players (Accoring to my decrepit memory):

(aa) If the player was All Australian/Team of the year Excluding Gary Ablett of course, who was in all the GF Years..

1989 - Lindner, Hocking, Hocking, Couch(aa), Bruns, Stonham (aa), Yeates, Scotty, Brownless, Bairstow(aa), Bews

1992 - Hinkley(aa), Bairstow(aa).McGrath, Riccardi, Couch, Scott, Stoneham(aa), Barnes, Brownless, Hocking

1994 - Mansfield(aa), S Hocking, Bairstow, McGrath, Riccardi, Couch, Pickering, Barnes, Brownless, G Hocking(aa)

1995 - Mansfield(aa), Ben Graham, Scholl, Colbert, Couch(aa), Pickering, Barnes, Colbert, G Hocking

Some really good names there. At least eqivalent if not shading Carey teammates in the late 90's.

It is a fallacy that Ablett did not have a top team supporting him. Note making 3 Grannies in 4 years is VERY rare..

Granted the Hawk sides Matthews played between 69-84 in were really good, BUT.. We remember them as good because they WON.

If these 4x Geelong sides had actually won a flag or 2, the reputations would be MUCH better.

Chad Cornes.
192cm, 95kg forward/midfielder/defender.
At the end of his career he looked like he was pushing 100kg

What would the coaches do on weeknights when the 22 Ablett Snr clones failed to show up for training?

Kardinia-Park-Surrounds_0000_Kardinia-Park_1-main-entrance.jpg
Start calling cop shops and hospitals?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back