Who is the best Ruckman of the 21st Century?

Who is the best Ruckman of the 21st Century?

• Dean Cox

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Aaron Sandilands

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Ruckmen
6 - Dean Cox | 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012
6 - Max Gawn | 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
4 - Aaron Sandilands | 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014

On a bit of a roll at the moment having done midfielders and defenders but I am curious about who you all think is the best ruckman of the 21st century?

To be on the list

• Must have 4 All Australians or more
  • Must have had majority of those 4 AA's in the 21st Century.

For ruckman at least the choice is pretty clear between these three as no others really get close.

I am going to go with Gawn personally as he is not only dominant in a tap to advantage but his contested marking can't be stopped when he is on form. I have never seen a ruckman truly dominate a game like Gawn can.

Dean Cox all the way for me. Great ruck and was such an athlete, that the Eagles essentially had an extra midfielder. Alongside Simon Madden, the best I've seen live (although would have loved to have seen Stephen Michael at his peak).

I would marginally have Gawn over Cox, especially considering he still has years left. Goldstein third place a fair bit behind them. Nic Nat would be up there if not for injuries

Dean Cox

Dean Cox. The bastard was basically a midfielder who happened to be 2m tall.

Just not fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn was/is better at contested marking though. He is basically unstoppable when he is in the zone.
Yes, but that doesn't really relate to me calling him a giant midfielder. Gawn is very good at taking advantage of being so tall. Cox was very good at football generally, whilst happening to be very tall.

Kane McGoodwin , I am surprised Sam Jacobs never got an All Australian honour at his best.

He was unfortunate in 2012. No disrespect to Todd Goldstein.

More than happy to replace Sandilands for 2014 for Big Sauce Jacobs. Sandi can keep 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Todd Goldstein is under rated I think. Not as good as those mentioned but not far below.

Gee, let me think

407b981adac70266692f4d381728229d

Todd Goldstein is under rated I think. Not as good as those mentioned but not far below.

I rate Goldy above Gawn, even taking away North bias. Goldstein is the most talented player North have drafted in 20 years - and if he'd played with a Richmond, Collingwood, etc. I have a feeling he might have got the edge on a few accolades that he missed out on. I'd have it:

Cox > Sandilands > Goldstein > Gawn

Cox is the standout from the group to me. He wasn't getting huge hitout numbers like Goldy, but there really wasn't anything he couldn't do. Sandilands doesn't have as many highlights as the others, but he consistently beat the other top ruckmen of his day.

Gawn is still very good, and him being a premiership captain puts his legacy in no doubt.

I rate Goldy above Gawn, even taking away North bias. Goldstein is the most talented player North have drafted in 20 years - and if he'd played with a Richmond, Collingwood, etc. I have a feeling he might have got the edge on a few accolades that he missed out on. I'd have it:

Cox > Sandilands > Goldstein > Gawn

Cox is the standout from the group to me. He wasn't getting huge hitout numbers like Goldy, but there really wasn't anything he couldn't do. Sandilands doesn't have as many highlights as the others, but he consistently beat the other top ruckmen of his day.

Gawn is still very good, and him being a premiership captain puts his legacy in no doubt.
Agree with you on most of that, especially in regard to playing in a bigger club.

Sandilands was a great tap ruck but the others, especially Cox and Goldstein were so much better around the ground, an equally important part of rucking in my eyes. Gawn dominates games pretty regularly, so I would go Cox, Gawn just over Goldstein. Not much between any of them.

Kane McGoodwin , I am surprised Sam Jacobs never got an All Australian honour at his best.

He was unfortunate in 2012. No disrespect to Todd Goldstein.

More than happy to replace Sandilands for 2014 for Big Sauce Jacobs. Sandi can keep 2008, 2009 and 2010.
Yeah, Imo Jacobs should have been AA ahead of Goldstein, bit over his career Goldstein was better for longer.

Cox and Gawn both 6 x AA and both 2 x B&F. Both with one flag.

Cox more skillful and Gawn the better contested mark. Gawn averaging just over 2 and Cox under 1.

Gawn more hitouts already from 87 less games.

Brownlow votes are rubbish, but for those that care Gawn has 108 votes from 203 games and Cox just 71 from 290.

I can't complain about anyone choosing Cox, but for me I think Gawn has influenced more games. And I'm clearly biased.

Back