Combined Best 22 of dynasty teams in 21st century

Remove this Banner Ad

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Basically combining the best players from the 4 dynasty teams this century: Lions 01-03, cats 07-11, hawks 08-15 & tigers 17-20.

To make it a truer reflection of the era, I have decided to make the minimum inclusion criteria to have played in at least 2 of the flags (EDIT: Please read this part for all including rance) . Wasn't sure whether to include the 2022 flag for cats however thought the 11 year gap between drinks was too long and the only relevant player it might have influenced would've been hawkins.

FB: J.Gibson - Scarlett - C.Johnson
HB: Hodge (vc) - Leppitsch - Enright
C: Lappin - Voss (c) - Bartel
HF: Akermanis - J.Brown - D.Martin
FF: S.Johnson - Franklin - Rioli
RR: Ottens - Black - Ablett
INT: Chapman - S.Mitchell - Selwood - Birchall
Coach: Clarkson

Cats (8)
Lions (7)
Hawks (7)
Tigers (1)

Bit surprised I only had 1 tiger, but I suppose as champion a team as they were, I never really rated them quite at the same level as the other 3. And I really wanted to squeeze riewoldt in somewhere but in the end the smalls were too hard to leave out.

I tried to make the bench realistic with positions that are often employed, so included birchall even though there are better players than him not in the side.

Obviously so many superstars have missed out, but that was always going to be the case combining 4 remarkable sides.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Enright - Lake - Scarlett
Hodge - Taylor - Burgoyne

Ottens - GAJ - Mitchell
Lappin - Voss - Bartel

Dusty - Brown - Akermanis
Rioli - Franklin - Stevie J

Bench:
Black, Selwood, Roughy + any of Reiwoldt, Hawkins, Rance, Chapman, Birchall, Gibbo, Lewis, Cotchin, Breust, Gunston, Leppitsch, Power, Smith, Grimes, Big Boy

Last edited:
Basically combining the best players from the 4 dynasty teams this century: Lions 01-03, cats 07-11, hawks 08-15 & tigers 17-20.

To make it a truer reflection of the era, I have decided to make the minimum inclusion criteria to have played in at least 2 of the flags. Wasn't sure whether to include the 2022 flag for cats however thought the 11 year gap between drinks was too long and the only relevant player it might have influenced would've been hawkins.

Cats (8)
Lions (7)
Hawks (7)
Tigers (1)

Bit surprised I only had 1 tiger, but I suppose as champion a team as they were, I never really rated them quite at the same level as the other 3. And I really wanted to squeeze riewoldt in somewhere but in the end the smalls were too hard to leave out.

I tried to make the bench realistic with positions that are often employed, so included birchall even though there are better players than him not in the side.

Obviously so many superstars have missed out, but that was always going to be the case combining 4 remarkable sides.

Thoughts?
Jesus that is a good side

To make it a truer reflection of the era, I have decided to make the minimum inclusion criteria to have played in at least 2 of the flags. Wasn't sure whether to include the 2022 flag for cats however thought the 11 year gap between drinks was too long and the only relevant player it might have influenced would've been hawkins.

Cats (8)
Lions (7)
Hawks (7)
Tigers (1)

Thoughts?
2008 is not part of the dynasty 5 years later. It's its own thing. You can easily slot Riewoldt in to Buddy's spot.

The only other one is Cotchin who has to be in the side somewhere. Probably for Birchall or Chapman.

Cats (8)
Lions (7)
Hawks (7)
Tigers (1)

Thoughts?
Welp, Richmond supporters aren't gonna like this very much.

Cats (8)
Lions (7)
Hawks (7)
Tigers (1)

Thoughts?
Pretty good effort.
Not much for me to disagree with...

But technically I don't think 2008 was a dynasty year so U can't have Buddy imo. I'd be tempted to put Hawkins in that spot ..

Cats (8)
Lions (7)
Hawks (7)
Tigers (1)

Thoughts?

Interesting exercise. Rance, Cotchin and Reiwoldt should all be in there for the Tigers though, IMO.

Given the sub existed during this era, thought I'd include it as well - given Bartel would probably make the team over Birchall and C. Johnson - but I needed to make sure I kept Gibson in for defensive balance (he's also the perfect sub given he played all 3 areas of the ground).

Also agreed with others that Buddy probably shouldn't be in here as the Hawks didn't even look likely from 09-11, so 08 was more an isolated event rather than part of the dynasty. Happy to leave him in there, but, given it feels blasphemous not to have him as part of this team. Probably have J. Riewoldt in his place, Bartel on field and C. Johnson as sub, if he wasn't eligible though.

For mine:

OUT: Birchall, C. Johnson, Bartel
IN: Rance, J. Riewoldt, Cotchin
Sub: Bartel

B: J. Gibson, Scarlett, Hodge
HB: Rance, Leppitsch, Enright
C: Lappin, Cotchin, S. Black
FO: Ottens, Ablett Jnr., Voss (C)
HF: S. Johnson, J. Brown, D. Martin
F: C. Rioli, Franklin, Akermanis
INT: Selwood, S. Mitchell, Chapman, J. Riewoldt

Cats (8)
Lions (6)
Hawks (5)
Tigers (4)

This team has literally no holes and would annihilate every other Premiership team by about 20 goals. Scary the amount of talent here.

Last edited:

Cats (8)
Lions (7)
Hawks (7)
Tigers (1)

Thoughts?

Come off it Curnfern. No way Dustin Martin deserves to be in that team on the strength of a few finals that only make up about 3% of his career games, and we are told by Fadge of Fadge Ratings fame those finals were in the weakest era in footy history, and he never got 30 possessions in any of them. And he was on the end of the work of a dominant Richmond team. And the team wasn't so dominant in finals because of any of the players or the coach, it was dominant due to the famous Richmond system. Any player could have played in that system and looked like an all timer. And any coach could coach that system and get the team to win.

So my team has one alteration from yours:

HF: Akermanis - J.Brown - D.Martin Richmond System(dv-c)

Omitted: D Martin

In: Richmond System(debut)

Please note Richmond System is multi positional and could as easily have been named in place of any defender. It was after all Richmond system that led to Richmond's dynasty Premiership teams recording by far the lowest scores against in finals of any of these dynasty teams. Like, Richmond lowest then daylight, then Geelong, Hawthorn, Brisbane miles behind in terms of conceding the lowest scores.

Just imagine how good your 7 defenders would have been had they too had the benefit of Richmond system. :)

Richmond system was so dominant, it goes straight into this team as deputy vice captain on debut. :cool:

Last edited:
Are we picking "best" players on H&A or to win finals? Very different sides and great point by Meteoric about who is coaching.

I'm picking a side to win a grand final. So no J Brown, no Rance. 4 on the bench, 1 ruck, 1 back 1 mid 1 forward.

Coach: Hardwick. 3 flags from easily the worst list of the dynasties, and his system is still winning flags. Did not lose a GF he made. Asst Fagan.

B: C Enright M Scarlett S Burgoyne
HB L Hodge (c) J Roughhead C Johnson
C: S Black M Voss J Bartel
HF: D Martin J Reiwoldt C Riioli
FF: S Johnson A Lynch P Chapman

R: B Ottens G Ablett J Akermanis

IC: C Keating M Ashcroft S Mitchell I Smith (not cramming midfielders in here as a sop).

**** me it's hard fitting all these champions into the centre square but Voss Ablett and Aker all better than Selwood Mitchell Cotchin etc. Small defenders aplenty too.

On the flip side an absolute dearth of ruck talent, dynasties have carbon rods.

And yes I guess I went with Norm Smiths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Rance and Riewoldt would make the team.

Rance Scarlett Enright
Hodge Leppitsch Bartel
Lappin Voss I.Smith
Ottens Black Ablett
Martin Brown Akermanis
Riewoldt Franklin Rioli
Chapman S.Johnson Mitchell Selwood

Burgoyne simply has to be in the team. Would have him at HBF over Bartel, who never played there, move up to the wing.

Burgoyne simply has to be in the team. Would have him at HBF over Bartel, who never played there, move up to the wing.
I know we can debate little edge cases but this is almost as non negotiable as Martin and Ablett.

Even though Bartel is the better player Burgoyne was about the most skilled Hawk in a team renowned for skill.

Pretty much the flawless player, big game performer, Burgoyne was all of it.

I know we can debate little edge cases but this is almost as non negotiable as Martin and Ablett.

Even though Bartel is the better player Burgoyne was about the most skilled Hawk in a team renowned for skill.

Pretty much the flawless player, big game performer, Burgoyne was all of it.

I'm saying Burgoyne for Smith, with Bartel moving up to the wing.

Enright - Lake - Scarlett
Hodge - Rance - Burgoyne

Ottens - GAJ - Mitchell
Lappin - Voss - Bartel

Dusty - Brown - Akermanis
Rioli - Franklin - Stevie J

Bench:
Black, Selwood, Roughy + any of Reiwoldt, Chapman, Birchall, Gibbo, Lewis, Cotchin, Breust, Gunston, Leppitsch, Power, Smith, Grimes, Big Boy

Pretty sure Rance and Riewoldt would make the team.

Rance Scarlett Enright
Hodge Leppitsch Bartel
Lappin Voss I.Smith
Ottens Black Ablett
Martin Brown Akermanis
Riewoldt Franklin Rioli
Chapman S.Johnson Mitchell Selwood

Interesting exercise. Rance, Cotchin and Reiwoldt should all be in there for the Tigers though, IMO.

Given the sub existed during this era, thought I'd include it as well - given Bartel would probably make the team over Birchall and C. Johnson - but I needed to make sure I kept Gibson in for defensive balance (he's also the perfect sub given he played all 3 areas of the ground).

Also agreed with others that Buddy probably shouldn't be in here as the Hawks didn't even look likely from 09-11, so 08 was more an isolated event rather than part of the dynasty. Happy to leave him in there, but, given it feels blasphemous not to have him as part of this team. Probably have J. Riewoldt in his place, Bartel on field and C. Johnson as sub, if he wasn't eligible though.

For mine:

OUT: Birchall, C. Johnson, Bartel
IN: Rance, J. Riewoldt, Cotchin

B: J. Gibson, Scarlett, Hodge
HB: Rance, Leppitsch, Enright
C: Lappin, Cotchin, S. Black
FO: Ottens, Ablett Jnr., Voss (C)
HF: S. Johnson, J. Brown, D. Martin
F: C. Rioli, Franklin, Akermanis
INT: Selwood, S. Mitchell, Chapman, J. Riewoldt

Cats (8)
Lions (6)
Hawks (6)
Tigers (3)

This team has literally no holes and would annihilate every other Premiership team by about 20 goals. Scary the amount of talent here.

As mentioned in the OP, i decided to make it a minimum of 2 flags players to better reflect the actual dynasties, which is the point of the exercise itself.

Otherwise overall id also agree rance was better than leppitsch.

2008 is not part of the dynasty 5 years later. It's its own thing. You can easily slot Riewoldt in to Buddy's spot.

The only other one is Cotchin who has to be in the side somewhere. Probably for Birchall or Chapman.

I did toss that up too but in the end The gap between cats first to last is only 1 year less

Also like i said in OP i tried to pick bench on positions rather than just put the best 4 midfielders in who are better than birchall

Poor Smith. It's tight at the top.

Yeah a team that has the likes of Hawkins, Joel Corey, Power, C. Johnson, Gibson, Birchall, Cotchin, Breust, Gunston, Hill, Grimes, Mackie, Ling, Kelly, Bolton, Short, etc likely not even on the bench then you know it's going to be invincible.

Last edited:
Yeah a team that has the likes of Joel Corey, Power, C. Johnson, Gibson, Birchall, Cotchin, Breust, Gunston, Hill, Grimes, Mackie, Ling, Kelly, Bolton, Short, etc likely not even on the bench then you know it's going to be invincible.
My brothers are pasting me in the chat for not having Buddy, who I think is allowable. I think Lynch and J Riewoldt clutch the win for you better than Buddy and some other dude.

Harry Taylor from Geelong is another absolute gun, Roughhead is more versatile but who do you leave out? Grimes criminally under rated even by a lot of Richmond people, so many good players to fit into 22 spots, but I don't like it when AA sides get 16 midfielders crammed onto flanks and the bench.

My brothers are pasting me in the chat for not having Buddy, who I think is allowable. I think Lynch and J Riewoldt clutch the win for you better than Buddy and some other dude.

Harry Taylor from Geelong is another absolute gun, Roughhead is more versatile but who do you leave out? Grimes criminally under rated even by a lot of Richmond people, so many good players to fit into 22 spots, but I don't like it when AA sides get 16 midfielders crammed onto flanks and the bench.

Good point re Taylor. I'd have him over Rance.

I did toss that up too but in the end The gap between cats first to last is only 1 year less

Also like i said in OP i tried to pick bench on positions rather than just put the best 4 midfielders in who are better than birchall
Hawks had only 6 that played in 08 and 13-15. Geelong and Richmond had 12 and 14 that played in all 3.

If Richmond won in 2025 is it still part of the same Dynasty? Or if Geelong won in 2016?

And I think the only benefit is to get Buddy in the side, which is unnecessary as you have Riewoldt and Hawkins to replace him.

Hawks had only 6 that played in 08 and 13-15. Geelong and Richmond had 12 and 14 that played in all 3.

If Richmond won in 2025 is it still part of the same Dynasty? Or if Geelong won in 2016?

And I think the only benefit is to get Buddy in the side, which is unnecessary as you have Riewoldt and Hawkins to replace him.

Hawks had 8 that played in both 08 and 13. 2 flags was the minimum criteria.

You can change criterias to fit your own team’s players in i agree that would rob the team of buddy and then a coinflip between riewoldt and hawkins. Probably riewoldt was better in their respective flag years tbh. But going off track now to change criteria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back