Who is the best Ruckman of the 21st Century?

Who is the best Ruckman of the 21st Century?

• Dean Cox

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Aaron Sandilands

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not about games played. The likes of Rehn and Kreuzer are nowhere near the top 3 ruckman of all time. They were both decent players (though Kreuzer was not even selected AA ruck once) but the bar for top 3 of all time is set very, very high.

It's a strange one - cos I think generally the great forwards and the great mids of yesteryear are well remembered but the truly elite rucks are largely forgotten outside of a couple of names such as those you originally highlighted (Farmer, Madden, Cox).

Take Gary Dempsey for example - until GAJ took over, he was the leading Brownlow vote getter of all time (which he held for 35 odd years). He won 1, finished 2nd another time and was top 10 an astonishing 13 times. He won 7 best and fairests, including 5 straight. He was named in the team of the century at 2 different clubs. He held the record for the most hitouts for about 30 years, until the game completely changed in terms of the number of stoppages. From his own era and before, he has nearly 2000 hitouts more than any other player ever. It's a similar story for marks - where he still sits 2nd of all time with the highest average ever despite playing in an era where 'chipping it around' didn't exist.

Then you have Graham Moss - he played over 320 games, won 7 best and fairests, spent just 4 seasons in the VFL and managed to become the captain of Essendon, win 3 best and fairests, win a Brownlow and have the 2nd highest Brownlow vote average in history. Oh and he also won a Simpson Medal (best player in the State game).

John Nicholls - who is a name most recognise but not one of the ones mentioned - was named in the AFL team of the century. Famous for his battles with Polly, many consider him in the top 2 rucks of all time. He captained 3 flags, mutiple AA's in the carnival era, won 5 B&F's and was an inaugural legend.

What about Len Thompson? Len won the Collingwood B&F 5 times, captained the club, was selected first ruck in their team of the century, won a Brownlow medal and was top 2 in the 'alltime hitouts' for more than 3 decades until the game completely changed.

or even Peter Moore (Darcy's dad). Moore won 2 Brownlows, multiple B&F's, was AA, etc and I wouldn't have him in genuine consideration for top 3 all time. Nor would I have Jimmy Stynes - who had a season where he was named first ruck in the AA team, won the B&F, won the MVP and won the Brownlow. He also won 3 other best and fairests, another All Australian, etc.

Going back to the real old timers - but you've also got Tom Leahy - who is considered easily the greatest ruck out of SA ever and one of SA's 5 best ever players. He won a Magarey, was runner up 3 other times, was SA's best player in the vast majority of his 31 State games and was the dominant player when his side won the 'Champions of Australia' against Carlton.

Guys Like Shaun Rehn and Matthew Kreuzer (with all respect to them) just don't belong in the same conversation. I'm not sure why some of those above names are so frequently forgotten (or underrated), with there being a number of other guys I could of mentioned in a similar category.

I think the thing about the super elite ruckmen is they often werent needed to win flags.

Same cant be said about forwards, mids and defenders.

Ive watched since the late 70s so many of the old timers are as much myths as anything else.

I am glad you are comfortable being open about it as I feel like in the mid 2000's it was only West Coast fans who were comfortable admitting they like Cox. Fortunately it was legalised in 2017 and now everyone is allowed to like Cox.

We often only won because we had big Cox - Cox certainly knew how to tap balls down the throat of players.

Anyway, I am clearly biased but surprised that Max Gawn has a significant number of votes. At this stage of their careers I thought there'd be little doubt Cox was still ahead for GOAT ruck of the 21st century. Gawn still has a few years in him though to change that.

We often only won because we had big Cox - Cox certainly knew how to tap balls down the throat of players.

Anyway, I am clearly biased but surprised that Max Gawn has a significant number of votes. At this stage of their careers I thought there'd be little doubt Cox was still ahead for GOAT ruck of the 21st century. Gawn still has a few years in him though to change that.

you wonder what would happen If Michael Gardiners body was fully fit for a few more years too.

Matthew Kreuzer

Will be interesting to see if he bounces back. The season with Melbourne, his confidence would have taken a hit. But he'll be top dog again at Sydney and have a point to prove.
People have very short memories. He was pretty much sacked by Collingwood for not being good enough anymore.

I'm a Goldy superfan, and Cox would still be my first and easiest pick if I was creating a superteam of the 2000s/2010s. I think Cox's decline in his last few years makes people forget how good he was.

I'm a Goldy superfan, and Cox would still be my first and easiest pick if I was creating a superteam of the 2000s/2010s. I think Cox's decline in his last few years makes people forget how good he was.

Goldstein is underrated in my view. A capable resting forward ruck and dominated hitouts - not his fault that often the North midfielders failed to take advantage of that. His durability also elevates him.

Think we can all agree Goldstein, Cox, Sandilands and Gawn are the clear top 4 post-2001.

Gawn for mine, although against the majority I see.

I prefer the ruckman to play a structural role not run to the wings and pockets to get possessions.
Dean Cox kicked 61 goals from 2013-2015. That's a lot for someone playing wings and pockets.

To put that in to perspective, Clayton Oliver has kicked 51 in his entire career. 10 less.

Poor Clarry, stuck on wings and pockets.

Goldie overall, but Gawn will overtake him.
Sandi next, with Cox 4th.
The reason I rank Cox so low is that besides taking the hit outs, he waa essentially an outside mid.
I want my ruckmen in the Mummy mould who get their hands dirty & make their team mates walk taller

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandilands Slightly overrated imo

Cox could have been a dangerous FF IMO. 3 goals in the first qtr vs The Swans in 2005. May have been the 2nd? But you could see what he was capable of given the chance.

Just as Big Maxy has shown when he pulverised Geelong in that prelim. And got the winning goal after the siren that year in the last home and away game knocking the catters off top spot and completely changing the dynamics of things in the finals. He did owe them, as he also cost them in round 1, 2018 vs The Catters. But he repaid that debt and then some. Cost them against the Blues in that epic final last season. Man what a *en game.

I'd have to go, actually I won't say that because it gives the wrong impression. I'd have to say Dean is the best as I already did.

But M.G isn't too far behind and his career is still a work in progress.

Goldstein is underrated in my view. A capable resting forward ruck and dominated hitouts - not his fault that often the North midfielders failed to take advantage of that. His durability also elevates him.

Think we can all agree Goldstein, Cox, Sandilands and Gawn are the clear top 4 post-2001.
you are an eagles fan. Where would you rate a peak michael gardiner before his injuries?

Matthew Primus 2001-2002 All-Australian seasons made The AFL change the rules, so maybe the best 2 season ruckman.

Back