Combined Best 22 of dynasty teams in 21st century

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all

Just to reiterate the quality of the players across the three clubs, assuming it’s 5-6 from each team in the combined 1st 2nd an 3rd team

Hawks 1st
Fwd. Roughead Rioli
Mid s Mitchell Burgoyne
Def Lake hodge Gibson

Hawks 2nd
Fwd Gunston Bruest Hale
Mid Lewis smith McEvoy
Def Birchall

Hawks 3rd
Fwd Franklin. Puopolo
Mid Sewell sheils hill
Def Guerra stratton

Ok I got 7 for each

Just to reiterate the quality of the players across the three clubs, assuming it’s 5-6 from each team in the combined 1st 2nd an 3rd team

Hawks 1st
Fwd. Roughead Rioli
Mid s Mitchell Burgoyne
Def Lake hodge Gibson

Hawks 2nd
Fwd Gunston Bruest Hale
Mid Lewis smith McEvoy
Def Birchall

Hawks 3rd
Fwd Franklin. Puopolo
Mid Sewell sheils hill
Def Guerra stratton

Ok I got 7 for each
How many games in the thirds do you reckon Buddy's played in his life?

How many games in the thirds do you reckon Buddy's played in his life?

Yep it’s just th qualification of premierships in the threepeat which is the kicker. I’m sure they’d find a way round that

Probabaly the first to get into the HOF though

Last edited:
Steven Johnson in 2007-09-11
20.3 disposals per game
2.3 goals per game
3.6 goals + goal assists per game

Dustin Martin in 2017-19-20
25.8 disposals per game
1.3 goals per game
2.29 goals plus assists per game

Now allowing for the missing 16 minutes per game in 2020 you can round that up a bit to make it 1.5 or 1.6 and 2.5 or 2.6 or so

But if you really think - and I’m not for one second trying to claim that it is Dustin Martin’s spot that Johnson should be taking in anyone’s team - that a comparison of Brownlow medal and coach’s votes should be a reason for trying to claim that another player who like Martin was very good at going between the middle and the forward 50 should be left out of one of these sides when he was producing those sorts of numbers?

That’s a pretty weak argument.
The great Stevie J won't be playing 100% game time, so a combined 22 will have Dustie coming off the bench to mind a half-forward flank when the great man takes a rest.

Yep it’s just th qualification of premierships in the threepeat which is the kicker. I’m sure they’d find a way round that

Probabaly the first to get into the HOF though

Yeah I don’t get the 3 flag qualification either.

Technically GAJ, Buddy and Rance aren’t “dynasty players” as the respective dynasties were made after they left.

Not sure anybody would want to discuss a thread like this without those players in it. Seems a little silly.

I reckon the forward line is the easiest to settle on.

It would have to be:

HF: Dusty, Buddy, S. Johnson

F: C Rioli, A Lynch, Aker

Right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PhatBoy officially thinks Dustin Martin is some sort of understudy to Steve Johnson in a combined team.

giphy.gif

Yeah I don’t get the 3 flag qualification either.

Technically GAJ, Buddy and Rance aren’t “dynasty players” as the respective dynasties were made after they left.
Grouping Rance with Buddy and GAJ.

That's quite funny...

And that's even before we point out that GAJ and Buddy both played in 2 x flags, 1 x losing Grand Final and 1x losing Preliminary Final.

Whilst Rance played in 1 x flag and 1 x losing Preliminary Final.

PhatBoy officially thinks Dustin Martin is some sort of understudy to Steve Johnson in a combined team.

giphy.gif

Phatboy officially said this where

Was it where I said I don’t think Johnson should be taking Martin’s place in anyone’s team?

Was that where I said it?
Was it? Was that where I said he is Johnson’s understudy? I’m just curious as to how official this statement actually was?

Yeah and at random (and yes it was random, I’m at work and don’t have time to peruse every game with a fine tooth comb) early in 2009 he has 28, 4 goals and 2 assists against Sydney who from memory had finished 4th(?) or 5th(?) the year before and there are dozens more examples where he did it. He’s not the first and will surely not be the last forward to kick a lot of goals or have a lot of assists against a bad team in a big win and help it have an impact on his career. It isn’t going to explain 60-odd games at 20, 2.3 and 3.6 though, with some big finals chucked in there for good measure

Of course he played some great footy against good opposition. He was a terrific player and played some great finals.

In 2011 he averaged 3.9 goals and goal assists per game - excellent stats.

Take out the 186-point win against Melbourne and the 2 x games against fledgling Gold Coast (it was their first season) in the remaining 20 games he averaged 2.4 goals and goal assists in 2011. (Kosi Pickett and Rankine were 2.6 in 2023, Papley 2.5.).

I realise all forwards pad their stats in big wins and if you removed the players mentioned above best 3 games they drop as well … but SJ had 33 goals and goal assists in 3 games against VFL quality and 48 in the other 20 games. To go down nearly 40% in goal scoring stats on the back of removing 3 games is pretty extraordinary.

So was 3.9 across the season reflective of the year he had, or 2.4 across 20 games more accurate?

He played an excellent GF so not saying he doesn’t produce when it matters as he does. Just saying with players who cash in as well as Stevie J did I take pure ‘stats’ with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As far as HOF worthiness there is buddy hodge gaj voss Martin Bartel Scarlett black and others with more of an argument to be made

If it is actually performance during respective teams dynasty make the following changes

Rance out for Hodge

Hodge is a two time Norm Smith winner, and Richmond did better once Rance retired.

J.Brown out for A.Lynch

Lynch was the Lions dominant KPF during their premiership era, multiple seasons of 70+. Brown a kid.

Riewoldt out for Roughead

Roughy kicked 75, 72, 75 and 50 in the Hawks 4 flag years - going at an avg of close to 3 per game

Riewoldt kicked 33, 24 and 54 and didnt even avg 2 goals per game in the Tigers flag seasons.

Cotchin out for any of S.Johsnon, Selwood or J.Corey

Cotchin only had 1 top5 finish (a 4th in 2017) during their strong era.

S.Johsnon kicked more goals than Reiwoldt
J.Corey and J.Selwood were winning BnFs during Geelongs flag era.
fair call for Roughy!

B. C Johnson(B) Scarlett(G) Enright(G)
HB Hodge(H) Rance(R) Burgoyne(H)
C Lappin(B) Voss(B) Bartel(G)
HF Martin(R) Franklin(H) Johnson(G)
F Akermanis(B) Hawkins(G) Rioli(H)
R. Ottens(G) Selwood(G) Ablett(G)

Inter Black(B), Mitchell(H), Lynch(B) Cotchin(R)

Geelong- 8 players
Brisbane-6 players
Hawthorn-5 players
Ricmond-3 players

Pretty much sums up the relative strengths of these dynasty teams since the year 2000

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back