Who is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?

Who is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?

• Lance Franklin

Votes: 99 85.3%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Matthew Lloyd

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Nick Riewoldt

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Barry Hall

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Warren Tredrea

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Key Forwards
8 – Lance Franklin | 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
5 - Tom Hawkins | 2012, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
5 - Matthew Lloyd | 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003
5 - Nick Riewoldt | 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014
4 - Barry Hall | 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010
4 - Warren Tredrea | 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

In order to be on the list

• Must have won 4 All Australians or more
  • Must have won a majority of those All Australians in the 21st century, which is why Lloyd makes the list (just) but Wayne Carey doesn't even though he technically won an AA in 2000.

Now this is not quite as easy as I first thought it would be since I thought Buddy would be a shoe in not realising Lloyd was eligible too as Lloyd was a very good player, but I am still going to have to go with Buddy as I feel like he played majority of his career in a time when scoring goals was harder than when Lloyd played, and Buddy could do things no other player in the history of the game could do.

Who do you think is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?

Buddy > Riewoldt > Hawkins > Lloyd > Tredrea > Hall

Some blokes define an era (e.g. Carey/90s) and Buddy is that bloke for the 2010s.

The problem with Pavlich is he is not just a Key Forward.

I had the same problem with Goodes and Bontempelli as none of them really fit in a nice easy to define category.
3 goal 17+ seasons averaged
Pav 3
Buddy 3
Nick roo 1
Brown 1
Tredders 0

Pav ave 3 goals 17d 8 marks 2005-2008 a 4 year span in a team with a losing record over that period

3 goal 17+ seasons averaged
Pav 3
Buddy 3
Nick roo 1
Brown 1
Tredders 0

Pav ave 3 goals 17d 8 marks 2005-2008 a 4 year span in a team with a losing record over that period
Why do you Freo mob keep argueing for Fremantle players to be added to polls with the likes of GAJ and Buddy? Are you seriously voting for them over those two anyways?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you Freo mob keep argueing for Fremantle players to be added to polls with the likes of GAJ and Buddy? Are you seriously voting for them over those two anyways?
I just wanted to highlight how good pav was this notion of Jack of all master of none is false.
Notice how I am not negative I’m just positive.
I’m not canning anyone
I feel good

Matthew Pavlich kicked 700 goals from 353 games .

If us dockers fans wanna be trolling, dockers fans would say that Kepler Bradley is a bombers and dockers legend lol

A question that no-one was asking because the answer is so obvious.

Also the criteria appears cherry-picked to exclude the guy who, if included on the list, would have the third most goals, second most goals this century (238 goals more than Tredrea) and second most Coleman medals, but only three AAs (after not being selected one year when he won the Coleman Medal).

Or the guy with 700 goals (151 more than Tredrea) and six AAs, including three selections at HF or FF.

It's almost like the OP is trolling.

Last edited:
Matthew Pavlich kicked 700 goals from 353 games .

If us dockers fans wanna be trolling, dockers fans would say that Kepler Bradley is a bombers and dockers legend lol

Do you consider Shane Crawford to be on the same level as Voss, hird, Buckley?

Pavlich is the same level as Crawford. An absolute superstar who SHOULD be regarded in the top echelon, but playing for a struggling team for the majority of his career has ensured he sits a rung below

Serious question.... Where would you rate Roughead if he was on this convo? Yes I am talking about the hawks one

He actually kicked more goals than Buddy every time we played the Swans. Rough was so good he could play very well in literally every position on the ground, and routinely moved around, so he could easily have been top 5 this century - particularly if he hadnt got cancer.

Gunston is another who spent 30% or more playing around the ground and would be much higher up the list if he stayed forward.

Back