What is your clubs best 22 of the 21st century so far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So my general idea here is I am going to get a list of as many best 22's from each club and then hopefully in a few weeks create a poll where we can find out the club with the best 22 from the 21st century, which I think will be interesting.

Now for me the only rules are be sensible with selections. So for instance yes Tony Lockett played in the 21st century, but he only played a couple of games and no one is going to claim that those were his best games, so someone like Tony Lockett is obviously not making the Swans best 22 for the 21st century.

This isn't a rule as such but I wanted Gulden in the Swans best 22, but the Swans board was very much against it, saying he needed a few more years before he could possibly be included, and I don't disagree with that assessment, but if you want to put some young players in your teams best 22 then go ahead.

So here is the Swans best 22, though admittedly there is a lot of debate, but the nucleus of Swans fans ideas are similar, even if everyone has slightly different best 22's.

B: Smith, Richards, Roberts-Thompson
HB: McVeigh, C.Bolton, Kennelly
C: Goodes, Jack, Hannebery
HF: Papley, Franklin, Davis
F: O'Loughlin, Hall, O'Keefe
Foll: Ball, Kennedy, Kirk
Int: Parker, Malceski, J.Bolton, Rampe

To me this is a very good side (obviously) with a very very dangerous forward line and a very strong defense. There are not many holes in this side, though the ruck is not the strongest in the world, and the midfield itself is a little on the slow side as there is not a huge amount of leg speed there. However in saying that given it is a best 22 of the 21st century I imagine most teams will be really strong.

I would love to see what best 22's other teams would have and what you think are the strengths and even weaknesses of your teams best 22.

Also other Swans fans, if you disagree with my best 22 (and I bet many of you do), feel very free to post as well.

B: Gibson Lake Burgoyne
HB: Birchall Sicily Hodge
C: Hill S.Mitchell I.Smith
HF: Gunston Roughead Williams
F: Breust Franklin Rioli
Foll: McEvoy Lewis Crawford
Int: Hale Puopolo Guerra T.Mitchell

So my general idea here is I am going to get a list of as many best 22's from each club and then hopefully in a few weeks create a poll where we can find out the club with the best 22 from the 21st century, which I think will be interesting.

Now for me the only rules are be sensible with selections. So for instance yes Tony Lockett played in the 21st century, but he only played a couple of games and no one is going to claim that those were his best games, so someone like Tony Lockett is obviously not making the Swans best 22 for the 21st century.

This isn't a rule as such but I wanted Gulden in the Swans best 22, but the Swans board was very much against it, saying he needed a few more years before he could possibly be included, and I don't disagree with that assessment, but if you want to put some young players in your teams best 22 then go ahead.

So here is the Swans best 22, though admittedly there is a lot of debate, but the nucleus of Swans fans ideas are similar, even if everyone has slightly different best 22's.

HB: McVeigh, C.Bolton, Kennelly
Int: Parker, Malceski, J.Bolton, Rampe

To me this is a very good side (obviously) with a very very dangerous forward line and a very strong defense. There are not many holes in this side, though the ruck is not the strongest in the world, and the midfield itself is a little on the slow side as there is not a huge amount of leg speed there. However in saying that given it is a best 22 of the 21st century I imagine most teams will be really strong.

I would love to see what best 22's other teams would have and what you think are the strengths and even weaknesses of your teams best 22.

Also other Swans fans, if you disagree with my best 22 (and I bet many of you do), feel very free to post as well.

I would find a spot for Jake Lloyd. He is a jet!

WCE:

Wirrpanda Glass Sheppard
Hurn McGovern Waters
Gaff Cousins Kerr
Cripps Darling Embley
Matera Kennedy LeCras

Cox Judd Shuey

Naitanui Priddis Yeo Braun

The Eagles had a pretty fair side in the 90s…a few of those guys played into the 21st century but I’ve drawn the line to include those who featured for the majority of their career, post 2000 (Phil Matera included as he played his best footy post 2000).

Can still slap together a very good side including -

3 Brownlows
3 Norm Smiths
18/22 of them have been All Australians
17/22 Premiership players

Hopefully I haven’t missed anyone too obvious!

B: Morris, Lake, Wood
HF: Murphy, Grant, Gilbee
C: Griffen, Cooney, West
HF: Johnson, Naughton, Hahn
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Akermanis
Fol: Darcy, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I: M Boyd, Hargrave, Cross, R Smith

My own Hawthorn side of the 21st century:

FB: J. Gibson, B. Lake, J. Sicily
HB: G. Birchall, T. Croad, L. Hodge
C: S. Crawford, S. Mitchell, I. Smith
HF: C. Rioli, L. Franklin, S. Burgoyne
F: L. Breust, J. Roughead, J. Gunston
R: P. Everitt, J. Lewis, T. Mitchell
I: B. Sewell, M. Williams, J. Smith, B. McEvoy

Something like this I'd say -

fb- J. Bowden, D. Gaspar, D. Grimes
hb- B. Houli, A. Rance, C. Newman
c- S. Grigg, K Johnson, W. Campbell
hf- B. Deledio, M. Richardson, K. Lambert
ff- S. Edwards, J. Riewoldt, N. Brown
r- T. Nankervis, D. Martin, T. Cotchin
i/c: N. Vlastuin, D. Astbury, D. Prestia, J.Short

Something like this I'd say -

fb- J. Bowden, D. Gaspar, D. Grimes
hb- B. Houli, A. Rance, C. Newman
c- S. Grigg, K Johnson, W. Campbell
hf- B. Deledio, M. Richardson, K. Lambert
ff- S. Edwards, J. Riewoldt, N. Brown
r- T. Nankervis, D. Martin, T. Cotchin
i/c: N. Vlastuin, D. Astbury, D. Prestia, J.Short

Are you sure about Nankervis? I am not too well versed on Richmond ruckmen but wouldn't Simmonds or Maric be better?

Are you sure about Nankervis? I am not too well versed on Richmond ruckmen but wouldn't Simmonds or Maric be better?
He was the main one I was iffy about. Simmons and Maric gave good service, Stafford too. We haven't really had a standout ruck in my time. Ottens was the one I was considering ahead of Nank though. Ottens was clearly a better player....Mostly for Geelong though :huh:

Nank is a 3-time premiership ruck and now captain and still got plenty left. Probably has to go to him.

FB: Michael Firrito - Robbie Tarrant - Brady Rawlings
HB: Glenn Archer - Scott Thompson - David King
C: Adam Simpson - Andrew Swallow - Shaun Higgins
HF: Daniel Wells - Drew Petrie - Shannon Grant
FF: Lindsay Thomas - Nick Larkey - Ben Brown
R: Todd Goldstein - Ben Cunnington - Brent Harvey (C)
I: Anthony Stevens - Jack Ziebell - Jy Simpkin - Harry Sheezel

B: Enright Scarlett Milburn
HB: Stewart Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Dangerfield Bartel
HF: S Johnson Cameron Chapman
F: Stokes Hawkins Stengle
Foll: Ablett Ottens Selwood

Int: J Kelly, Blicavs, Duncan, C Guthrie.

Maybe a little bit midfielder heavy but Blicavs offsets that a fair bit. If not for injury Matthew Egan would present a real conundrum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe a little bit midfielder heavy but Blicavs offsets that a fair bit. If not for injury Matthew Egan would present a real conundrum

B: Enright, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Mackie
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Bartel
HF: S Johnson, Cameron, Chapman
HB: Rampe, C.Bolton, Kennelly
F: Stokes, Hawkins, Stengle
Foll: Ottons, Ablett, Selwood
Int: Parker, Malceski, J.Bolton, McVeigh

That is a game I would love to see. Obviously the matchups are not exactly right, but we get the general idea.

B: Gibson Lake Burgoyne
HB: Birchall Sicily Hodge
C: Hill S.Mitchell I.Smith
HF: Gunston Roughead Williams
F: Breust Franklin Rioli
Foll: McEvoy Lewis Crawford
Int: Hale Puopolo Guerra T.Mitchell
I think you need a 2nd true key defender. Frawley in, hard to know who to boot out. Puopolo I think.

B: Enright, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Mackie
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Bartel
HF: S Johnson, Cameron, Chapman
HB: Rampe, C.Bolton, Kennelly
F: Stokes, Hawkins, Stengle
Foll: Ottons, Ablett, Selwood
Int: Parker, Malceski, J.Bolton, McVeigh

That is a game I would love to see. Obviously the matchups are not exactly right, but we get the general idea.
Geelong, by a lot.

Tuohy and Harley feel stiff. In fact you’ve got Duncan in there twice

Geelong clearly have the better back 6.

It isn't the back 6 against back 6 though.

I rate Craig Bolton's chances of shutting down Cameron, LRT shutting down Hawkins, Rampe would do a good job on Johnson and Smith would go to one of Stokes or Stengle.

It is obviously just a thought exercise though, but it is fun to theorise.

Tuohy and Harley feel stiff. In fact you’ve got Duncan in there twice

Oh s**t so I do, I think I was reserving his place on the bench for Ling.

Can’t really see anywhere either Tuohy or Harley get in. They were both - are in Tuohy’s case - fantastic players.

All the stuff Harley offers gets covered by Mackie and Stewart though: the intercepting and zoning off, and I don’t think Tuohy is quite as strong and versatile as Milburn

It isn't the back 6 against back 6 though.

I rate Craig Bolton's chances of shutting down Cameron, LRT shutting down Hawkins, Rampe would do a good job on Johnson and Smith would go to one of Stokes or Stengle.

It is obviously just a thought exercise though, but it is fun to theorise.
I agree with the idea of how fun it is, but the only one of the matchup's you listed where I think Sydney wins is Smith. So underrated. Small defenders don't ever get the plaudits they deserve.

Johnson and Cameron in particular would absolutely work Bolton and Rampe over by forcing them up the field.

I agree with the idea of how fun it is, but the only one of the matchup's you listed where I think Sydney wins is Smith. So underrated. Small defenders don't ever get the plaudits they deserve.

Johnson and Cameron in particular would absolutely work Bolton and Rampe over by forcing them up the field.

People forget how good Bolton was. I remember in the All Stars game back in 2008 Bolton started on Fevola, keeping him quite for a half while Jonathon Brown ran amok, and then in the second half Bolton went to Brown and suddenly Brown was quiet while Fevola did what he wanted.

The reason I put Bolton on Cameron is he could play against tall or small and was fairly maneuverable for his size.

As for Rampe, he would be fine on Johnson. He is another who could play on a tall forward one week and a small/medium forward the next.

WCE:

Wirrpanda Glass Sheppard
Hurn McGovern Waters
Gaff Cousins Kerr
Cripps Darling Embley
Matera Kennedy LeCras

Cox Judd Shuey

Naitanui Priddis Yeo Braun

The Eagles had a pretty fair side in the 90s…a few of those guys played into the 21st century but I’ve drawn the line to include those who featured for the majority of their career, post 2000 (Phil Matera included as he played his best footy post 2000).

Can still slap together a very good side including -

3 Brownlows
3 Norm Smiths
18/22 of them have been All Australians
17/22 Premiership players

Hopefully I haven’t missed anyone too obvious!

Probably squeeze Hunter in there for Braun.

Steven King unlucky, perhaps Riccardi though I couldn't fit him in to that line up and his best football was in the 90's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back