Opinion Your teams 21st century FAB FOUR?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleansweep17

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
So everybody knows of the lions dynasty fab 4 (Voss, Aker, Lappin, Black)

Would be interesting to see the others from the other 17 clubs:

A few rules:

1. All players must have played most of their games in the 21st century

2. They must all have played together in at least one game.

3. (Optional) rank each team member explanations are encouraged but not required

I’ll go:

1. Dusty
2. Rance
3. Riewoldt
4. Cotchin

1. Buddy
2. Goodes
3. Kennedy
4. Hall

If I had a 5th it would be Craig Bolton, almost included him over Hall.

I'd go bolton over hall (just)
Goes to show how well the swans play the market
Buddy and jpk - hawks
Hall - saints
Bolton - lions

Yes I did not think of that but you are right that 4 of the 5 I thought about were all traded, or otherwise brought in from other clubs, and with one notable exception they were all either very fringe players or definitely not ranked among the best at their old club.

Yes I did not think of that but you are right that 4 of the 5 I thought about were all traded, or otherwise brought in from other clubs, and with one notable exception they were all either very fringe players or definitely not ranked among the best at their old club.
Seem to recall lions none too pleased about bolton
RoK and micky O also candidates.

Seem to recall lions none too pleased about bolton
RoK and micky O also candidates.

Yes but from memory Bolton was not a first string player. If everyone was fit he was not in the Brisbane team. Kennedy had the same issue at the Hawks.

Truth be told I am not sure about Hall at St Kilda but from memory I think he was somewhat fringe when he left.

Back in the 2003 to 2012 period Sydney were very good at trading for players who their own club did not value, but as more clubs started doing it it became harder to find those sort of diamonds in the rough.

Also as good as RoK and O'Loughlin were, they are not quite in the top 4 of the 21st century discussion level.

What about Essendon? You guys had some very good players in the early parts of this century.

Yes but from memory Bolton was not a first string player. If everyone was fit he was not in the Brisbane team. Kennedy had the same issue at the Hawks.

Truth be told I am not sure about Hall at St Kilda but from memory I think he was somewhat fringe when he left.

Back in the 2003 to 2012 period Sydney were very good at trading for players who their own club did not value, but as more clubs started doing it it became harder to find those sort of diamonds in the rough.

Also as good as RoK and O'Loughlin were, they are not quite in the top 4 of the 21st century discussion level.

What about Essendon? You guys had some very good players in the early parts of this century.
Was playing and did my list above.

Lloyd a no brainer, as is merrett
And i have a soft spot for tippa.

Hird v jobe v hurls is a tough call

1. Riewoldt
2. Hayes
3. Milne
4. Steven

First 3 non negotiables.
Could interchange 4 with half a dozen players Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard, Steele, Marshall, Harvey

I think Harvey played his premium footy in the 90s

Steven gets the nod for really carrying the midfield load after 2012 for 8 years

1. Riewoldt
2. Hayes
3. Milne
4. Steven

First 3 non negotiables.
Could interchange 4 with half a dozen players Montagna, Dal Santo, Goddard, Steele, Marshall, Harvey

I think Harvey played his premium footy in the 90s

Steven gets the nod for really carrying the midfield load after 2012 for 8 years
Goddard quite stiff there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldstein ?
Yeah, probably:
Harvey
Petrie
Goldstein
Cunnington

Cunners didn't really peak until a bit later, but all 4 were big parts of North's 2014/2015 finals campaigns

You got Ziebell aswell
Ziebell is a good player, but not great. His real skill was reinventing himself; he had successful stints as a forward and a backman later in his career after falling out of the midfield.

Is Petrie a no brainer? I mean he was a pretty good player, but I never saw him as anything more than that.
North haven't been much more than a pretty good team for 25 years lol

Cos it's too hot to go outside, gonna run thru the afl

Adelaide
mcleod
Ricciuto
Goodwin
Betts

Bris
black
Voss
Aker
Lappin