Who would win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleansweep17

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
So who would win if you made a combined vic team v a combined interstate team from the 21 century?

Eligibility:

- obviously at least 1 game in the 21st century

- the player vic/interstate status is based on which club they played the most games for IN THE 21st century. (E.g sorry eagles fans but Judd is a VIC player and cannot be picked in the Interstate team as he played more games for Carlton than the Eagles)

You can vote and post your teams if you wish.

Last edited:
Pretty hard to tell to be honest as I can't remember who is Victorian and who isn't half the time.

Just off the top of my head

B: XXXX- Andrews -XXXX
HB: McLoud - C.Bolton - XXXX
C Richardson - Goodes - S.Burgoyne
HF Betts - Franklin - XXXX
FF XXXX - Hawkins - Bruest
Foll: Cox - Fyfe - Kerr
Int: Kirk, Pavlich, Cooney, Neale

Pretty hard to tell to be honest as I can't remember who is Victorian and who isn't half the time.

Ok I fixed up the criteria to make it clear.

Ben hart
Corey Enright
Gavin wanganeen
In defence
Pav ain’t on the bench

Going by actual SOO rules (rather than which club they played for) might produce teams that look like this:

Non-Victorian:

B: G. Wanganeen, H. Andrews, J. McGovern
HB: A. McLeod, A. Rance, C. Enright
C: B. Cousins, M. Voss, S. Crawford
HF: M. Pavlich, N. Riewoldt, J. Hird
F: E. Betts, L. Franklin, J. Akermanis
R: D. Cox, N. Fyfe, S. Black
I: A. Goodes, M. Ricciuto, L. Neale, C. Bolton

Victorian:

B: D. Fletcher, M. Scarlett, G. Archer
HB: L. Hodge, J. Leppitsch, S. Mitchell
C: D. Swan, S. Pendlebury, M. Bontempelli
HF: D. Martin, J. Brown, P. Dangerfield
F: S. Johnson, M. Lloyd, S. Milne
R: M. Gawn, C. Judd, G. Ablett Jnr
I: B. Johnson, T. Stewart, J. Selwood, J. Roughead

Last edited:
Going by actual SOO rules (rather than which club they played for) might produce teams that look like this:

Non-Victorian:

B: G. Wanganeen, H. Andrews, B. Lake
HB: A. McLeod, J. McGovern, C. Enright
HF: M. Pavlich, N. Riewoldt, J. Akermanis
F: E. Betts, L. Franklin, L. Bruest

Victorian:

HB: L. Hodge, A. Rance, N. Buckley
C: D. Swan, S. Mitchell, M. Bontempelli
I: S. Pendlebury, T. Stewart, J. Selwood, J. Roughead
I thought Rance was from WA and Buckley from the NT.

Non-Victorian:

B: G. Wanganeen, H. Andrews, B. Lake
HB: A. McLeod, J. McGovern, C. Enright
HF: M. Pavlich, N. Riewoldt, J. Akermanis
F: E. Betts, L. Franklin, L. Bruest

Victorian:

HB: L. Hodge, A. Rance, N. Buckley
C: D. Swan, S. Mitchell, M. Bontempelli
I: S. Pendlebury, T. Stewart, J. Selwood, J. Roughead
Good effort. Out Fletcher, in Heath Shaw who has easily been the best back pocket this century.
Nathan Buckley is in the all stars side not the Vic team surely?
Pendles is better than Sam Mitchell on any metric, swap those two.
No way Jordan Roughead makes that side, surely there's better options.

Good effort. Out Fletcher, in Heath Shaw who has easily been the best back pocket this century.
Nathan Buckley is in the all stars side not the Vic team surely?
Pendles is better than Sam Mitchell on any metric, swap those two.
No way Jordan Roughead makes that side, surely there's better options.

It's Jarryd Roughead. Picked him for his versatility to play any position (forward, back, mid or ruck) from the bench (similar to Goodes in the Non Vic side).

Happy to hear a better suggestion - preferably for a versatile tall (or we could go someone like Josh Kennedy as a pure forward).

Flether, Shaw, Archer, Stewart, C. Johnson, Gibson - some tough choices for the back pocket and we all have our preferences.

Ended up putting Mitchell to a half back flank anyway to replace Buckley (as Mithell spent some time and won AA there). Other options include Nigel Lappin, Brendon Goddard (Sam Docherty, Rob Murphy, etc) but I think Mitchell was the best player of that lot so it makes sense to me. Pendlebury gets the centre spot you wanted.

It's Jarryd Roughead. Picked him for his versatility to play any position (forward, back, mid or ruck) from the bench (similar to Goodes in the Non Vic side).

Happy to hear a better suggestion - preferably for a versatile tall (or we could go someone like Josh Kennedy as a pure forward).

Flether, Shaw, Archer, Stewart, C. Johnson, Gibson - some tough choices for the back pocket and we all have our preferences.

Ended up putting Mitchell to a half back flank anyway to replace Buckley (as Mithell spent some time and won AA there). Other options include Nigel Lappin, Brendon Goddard (Sam Docherty, Rob Murphy, etc) but I think Mitchell was the best player of that lot so it makes sense to me. Pendlebury gets the centre spot you wanted.
Blicavs off the top of my head ahead of Mitchell. Really good effort to get the ball rolling in an interesting thread.

Blicavs off the top of my head ahead of Mitchell. Really good effort to get the ball rolling in an interesting thread.

Thanks mate.

Blicavs? Not close in my opinion (did you mean ahead of Roughead as a verasatile bench tall or did you mean in place of Mitchell on a half back flank as stated?). The former has some merit but not the latter in my view.

We obviously both have club biases but even when you said "Pendlebury beats Mitchell in every metric"..my thought was..."well no, not really"

Mitchell has a Brownlow medal, Pendlebury does not.
Mitchell has more total Brownlow votes and a much higher average.
They both have 5 B&F's.
Mitchell 4 flags (1 as captain), Pendlebury 2 flags (strength of side relevant for B&F's)
Pendlebury has a Norm Smith, Mitchell doesn't but has more Norm Smith votes than Pendles (both his runner ups were stronger performances than Pendles win in my view)
Pendles has a coaches medal whereas Mitchell averages more coaches votes.
Pendles has 6 AA's, Mitchell has 3 (big difference here)
Mitchell averages more of the ball, more clearances, more metres gained and more score involvements (and as mentioned, more Brownlow votes and coaches votes). Pendlebury averages more goals and assists.
Mitchell was also the better finals player over the journey.

In short, both absolutely elite champions who played similarly and both very deserving. Pretty hard to split IMO.

Thanks mate.

Blicavs? Not close in my opinion (did you mean ahead of Roughead as a verasatile bench tall or did you mean in place of Mitchell on a half back flank as stated?). The former has some merit but not the latter in my view.

We obviously both have club biases but even when you said "Pendlebury beats Mitchell in every metric"..my thought was..."well no, not really"

They both have 5 B&F's.
Mitchell 4 flags (1 as captain), Pendlebury 2 flags (strength of side relevant for B&F's)
Pendlebury has a Norm Smith, Mitchell doesn't but has more Norm Smith votes than Pendles (both his runner ups were stronger performances than Pendles win in my view)
Mitchell averages more of the ball, more clearances, more metres gained and more score involvements (and as mentioned, more Brownlow votes and coaches votes). Pendlebury averages more goals and assists.

In short, both absolutely elite champions who played similarly and both very deserving. Pretty hard to split IMO.
Yep, I definitely meant Blicavs over Roughead for that role. I think you select the best side though. Neither should be in the team.

Thanks mate.

They both have 5 B&F's.

Tom or Sam?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a cat’s perspective (bias) Hawkins for non and Bartel for Vic have to be close.

I’d choose Glass ahead of Bolton as well.

Also I think Petracca is better than Swan.

From a cat’s perspective (bias) Hawkins for non and Bartel for Vic have to be close.

Petracca has a bit to go to have the career Swan had.

Petracca has a bit to go to have the career Swan had.
I think he is on his way and is more appealing as a changing midfielder who plays more forward.

Already Premiership Norm Smith top 5 Brownlow multiple times 4x All Australian.

But I still see your point it’s one way or the other for me in 2 years time I think it’s an easy choice.

Yep, I definitely meant Blicavs over Roughead for that role. I think you select the best side though. Neither should be in the team.

Thanks for the clarification. The Non-Vic side had plenty of gun talls to pick from, especially up forward. There was Franklin, N. Riewoldt, Pavlich, Hawkins, Goodes, Tredrea, Richardson, J. Riewoldt (and technically even Carey but I didn't consider him), etc, etc.

Other than Brown and Lloyd who I've chosen, there were fewer elite options for the Vics. J. Kennedy, Roughead, Fevola, Lynch - maybe Barry Hall would be the main options.

My personal preference is not to pick 4 mids on the bench but go 1-2 mids, a defender and a forward that preferably can play 2nd ruck (hence Goodes for the non Vics and Roughead for the Vics). In other words, an attempt at balance.

Be interested to hear what you would do with the bench for a team like this?

(Maybe its my own bias but I also think Roughead isn't too far off given the options? Won multiple AA's, won a Coleman, was also AA as a ruck, kicked 70+ goals in 3 out of 4 flag years and was very effective in the midfield and at CHB. Played very well in finals and only ended up with 16 goals less than Brown, despite playing multiple other roles and being cut short from cancer).

Thanks for the clarification. The Non-Vic side had plenty of gun talls to pick from, especially up forward. There was Franklin, N. Riewoldt, Pavlich, Hawkins, Goodes, Tredrea, Richardson, J. Riewoldt (and technically even Carey but I didn't consider him), etc, etc.

Other than Brown and Lloyd who I've chosen, there were fewer elite options for the Vics. J. Kennedy, Roughead, Fevola, Lynch - maybe Barry Hall would be the main options.

I think Kennedy, Fevola and Hall were better key forwards than Brown.

It's my side and I'd have Glass (and Lake and McPharlin) ahead of Bolton too.

To be honest, the original poster who attempted a Non Vic side had him there and Bolton is one of his favourite ever players (fair enough) so I thought I'd be nice and leave him there.

Hawkins was absolutely very close. I originally went with Franklin, Hawkins and Pav and then did a reshuffle to fit N. Riewoldt in (making Hawkins the unlucky one). I probably need to fit Buckley back in too.

Bartel absolutely in the mix for his versatility but there are a few unlucky pure mids that have missed out as well that I'd probably prefer.

I wouldn't put Petracca on a wing (I feel I can get away with Swan as a speedy repeat effort beast as opposed to the bull of Pteracca) but you're right, he'll be in there (in the guts or half forward) soon enough. I tend to avoid players who are still mid career - I felt weird enough including Bontempelli on a HFF over the likes of Brad Johnson and Boomer Harvey (even Robbie Gray) - until a reshuffle was required cos I included some Non-Vics.

I think Kennedy, Fevola and Hall were better key forwards than Brown.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being old fashioned but I'd consider Kennedy and Fevola for the full forward slot but not the CHF one, as they were genuine, pure full forwards (that didn't do much up the ground). Hall definately for CHF but I slightly favoured Brown (with the best CHF's all for the other side - Franklin, Riewoldt, Richo, Pavlich, Tredrea, etc)

It's my side and I'd have Glass (and Lake and McPharlin) ahead of Bolton too.

To be honest, the original poster who attempted a Non Vic side had him there and Bolton is one of his favourite ever players (fair enough) so I thought I'd be nice and leave him there.

Hawkins was absolutely very close. I originally went with Franklin, Hawkins and Pav and then did a reshuffle to fit N. Riewoldt in (making Hawkins the unlucky one). I probably need to fit Buckley back in too.

Bartel absolutely in the mix for his versatility but there are a few unlucky pure mids that have missed out as well that I'd probably prefer.

I wouldn't put Petracca on a wing (I feel I can get away with Swan as a speedy repeat effort beast as opposed to the bull of Pteracca) but you're right, he'll be in there (in the guts or half forward) soon enough. I tend to avoid players who are still mid career - I felt weird enough including Bontempelli on a HFF over the likes of Brad Johnson and Boomer Harvey (even Robbie Gray) - until a reshuffle was required cos I included some Non-Vics.
Yes I agree with everything you say here as well, overall a very good effort.

Non-Victorian:

Victorian:

HB: L. Hodge, A. Rance, S. Mitchell
The non vic fwd line is juicy

Non-Victorian:

Victorian:

HB: L. Hodge, A. Rance, S. Mitchell
Rance holding down chb in both teams btw.

Back