Who is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?

Who is the best Key Forward of the 21st Century?

• Lance Franklin

Votes: 99 85.3%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Matthew Lloyd

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Nick Riewoldt

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Barry Hall

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Warren Tredrea

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Warren Tredrea has no right to be in this conversation.

There's a massive list of 21st century forwards that are streets ahead of him.. Josh Kennedy, Matthew Pavlich, Taylor Walker, Jarryd Roughead, Fraser Gherig, Brendan Fevola, Jack Riewoldt and more.

I have Tredrea way down the list.. just ahead of Travis Cloke and Drew Petrie.

Tend to agree with the comment about Franklin not being a key forward.
He’s clearly the best player on that list by daylight.
And obviously in the conversation for best player this century full stop.
Just kind of have an issue with him as a key forward because quite simply he was a freak and just didn’t really play like one both in terms of the microcosm of individual games and as a career in general.

There's a massive list of 21st century forwards that are streets ahead of him.. Josh Kennedy, Matthew Pavlich, Taylor Walker, Jarryd Roughead, Fraser Gherig, Brendan Fevola, Jack Riewoldt and more.

I might have Fevola ahead of Tredrea there, but Tredrea at his peak was a top tier, very fast, a marking magnet, good in contested play (would beat opponents 1v1, there's footage of Tredrea beating Gherig and Goodes in a 1v1 ending in a goal for him) and ground ball gets, just an all around versatile player.

tribey

I might have Fevola ahead of Tredrea there, but Tredrea at his peak was a top tier, very fast, a marking magnet, good in contested play (would beat opponents 1v1, there's footage of Tredrea beating Gherig and Goodes in a 1v1 ending in a goal for him) and ground ball gets, just an all around versatile player.

B717DFBA-C5C8-4707-997D-90C8FAD47BA2.jpeg

Currently #1 all-time key forward for goal assist average, and #4 overall.

Stat only began being counted in 2003, which omits half his All-Australian years when he was dropping dimes like Michael J. Fox in a tollbooth.

Oh look, another thread where Victorians underrate Tredrea. Shock horror
looks at poll results
Buddy Franklin - played half his career interstate - 85.9% of votes

If a nuffy tells you that Tredders isn't good, then ignore em
But he is not even remotely close to Buddy

looks at poll results
Buddy Franklin - played half his career interstate - 85.9% of votes

If a nuffy tells you that Tredders isn't good, then ignore em
But he is not even remotely close to Buddy
But Franklin was well known because he already played 9 seasons and arguably his best football in Victoria. Definitely loads of non-Victorian players who would have been more highly rated had they played in Victoria. I feel like Dangerfield is a testament to that, where he is more highly rated because of the move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Franklin was well known because he already played 9 seasons and arguably his best football in Victoria. Definitely loads of non-Victorian players who would have been more highly rated had they played in Victoria. I feel like Dangerfield is a testament to that, where he is more highly rated because of the move.
I do think players from interstate clubs are often overlooked by nuffies to be fair

Like how many Victorians could pick Chris Masten out of a line up? If you asked a Victorian who the Eagles best defender was in their 2018 flag 9/10 would say McGovern (when clearly Schofield played incredibly today)

I do understand why a Port supporter feels Tredrea is underrated, and I have to agree. I just don’t think he goes near Buddy is my only point.

I do understand why a Port supporter feels Tredrea is underrated, and I have to agree. I just don’t think he goes near Buddy is my only point.

I don’t think any fair-minded Porp Hour fan would be silly enough to mount a campaign against Franklin, who was obviously a generational phenomenon with absurd longevity to boot.

It’s the default strikedowns such as the one a few posts ago that claimed a raft of forwards to be “streets ahead of him” that rankle.

And we’ve heard it for over 20 years. Even when he was in his pomp, he was marked unfavourably to contemporaries Brown, Riewoldt and Pavlich for a host of subjective reasons that didn’t reflect reality, and even the odd Essendon fan would bob up to champion Scott Lucas (strangely only against Tredrea, not the other three).

Fast forward to today, I don’t remember the likes of Brendan Fevola, Taylor Walker or Josh Kennedy ever being favourite for the Brownlow in a year where they were All-Australian CHF for the fourth consecutive time, AFLCA MVP and B&F of the premiership team.

I mean cripes, if a Jack Riewoldt, Travis Cloke or Tom Hawkins had managed to pull off an individual season that dominant you’d have endless Wayne Carey comps, let alone claims of preponderance to 21st century spearheads.

But here we are.

I don’t think any fair-minded Porp Hour fan would be silly enough to mount a campaign against Franklin, who was obviously a generational phenomenon with absurd longevity to boot.

It’s the default strikedowns such as the one a few posts ago that claimed a raft of forwards to be “streets ahead of him” that rankle.

And we’ve heard it for over 20 years. Even when he was in his pomp, he was marked unfavourably to contemporaries Brown, Riewoldt and Pavlich for a host of subjective reasons that didn’t reflect reality, and even the odd Essendon fan would bob up to champion Scott Lucas (strangely only against Tredrea, not the other three).

Fast forward to today, I don’t remember the likes of Brendan Fevola, Taylor Walker or Josh Kennedy ever being favourite for the Brownlow in a year where they were All-Australian CHF for the fourth consecutive time, AFLCA MVP and B&F of the premiership team.

I mean cripes, if a Jack Riewoldt, Travis Cloke or Tom Hawkins had managed to pull off an individual season that dominant you’d have endless Wayne Carey comps, let alone claims of preponderance to 21st century spearheads.

But here we are.
It's tough to split Riewoldt, Pavlich and Tredrea. All tremendous players. Built like you-know-what, workhorses between the arcs, courageous, great marks, game changers.

I'm sorry Tredders hasn't received the necessary credit.

But here we are.
Once more, we’re talking about careers, not individual peaks. Tredrea had an outstanding peak, so did Koutofides. Several of their contemporaries have better footy to show for across their whole careers though.

Once more, we’re talking about careers, not individual peaks. Tredrea had an outstanding peak, so did Koutofides. Several of their contemporaries have better footy to show for across their whole careers though.

I mean yeah, but even marking him down for being a shadow of himself after mangling his patella tendon at age 27, not too many key forwards can boast 4 x AA CHF, 4 x B&F (3 x runner-up) and an AFLCA MVP on the resume.

And statistically his averages still stack up across 250+ games.

But here we are.
I would say Fevola is the example of a flash in the pan type player, who probably could've been the best of the lot but because he was a dumb man-child with a penchant for gambling and alcohol we'll never find out.

Tredrea is absolutely incomparable to a Fevola, Tex etc.

Tredrea is for sure in that middle ground with Riewoldt and Brown for mine. Pavlich probably a step ahead of those three only because of his ability to play everywhere, and had he played strictly KPF for his entire career he'd likely have gone close to Lance.

I get your frustration and really would not be concerned with anyone empty enough to suggest Travis Cloke is in the same league as Fevola, let alone Tredrea lol

This is it. Tredrea was really good for five years 2001 to 2005. Five years out of 14. Sure he got injured, but that’s football. It’s in those five years where all his greatness landed, apart from one B&F.

Riewoldt was a five time AA across 11 seasons, but was huge from start to finish across his career. So was Pav, who was a 6xAA across 7 seasons and also a 6xB&F across 10 seasons.

Of course it’s Buddy then Lloyd imo.

I don’t consider N Riewoldt a Key Forward.

Stiff criteria for J Riewoldt. 3 Coleman’s makes up for the 1 less AA imo. I think 2 extra Coleman’s is better than 2 extra AAs so I’d put him ahead of Hawkins and thus above Hall and Tredrea as well.

No credibility in a poll missing Jack R. Only coleman winner not make AA really just sums up how underrated he was and still is. None of the above mentioned in the poll accepted change like he did.

Not saying he's the best, clearly Bud, but he belongs on that list

No credibility in a poll missing Jack R. Only coleman winner not make AA really just sums up how underrated he was and still is. None of the above mentioned in the poll accepted change like he did.

Not saying he's the best, clearly Bud, but he belongs on that list

You mean aside from when Fraser Gehrig won the Coleman medal and didn’t get picked

Back