Who is the best midfielder of the 21st century?

Who is the best midfielder of the 21st century?

• Gary Ablett Jnr

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Ricciuto

• Chris Judd

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Joel Selwood

• Scott Pendlebury

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Ben Cousins

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Dane Swan

• Scott West

• Simon Goodwin

• Dustin Martin

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Nigel Lappin

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brent Harvey

• Christian Petracca

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he became a better player at GC, which is something because he was already an amazing player. Would not have become that player if he stayed at Geelong IMO.

Exactly right, cats wouldn’t feed him the ball like they did.

Lol “at one stage” talk about cherry picking stats mate. Have some credibility, what did he finish with at his time there? Bet my bottom dollar it was less.

I don’t need to. For the rest of his time he was averaging 15 😂😂😂
Even factoring in the football he played after smashing his shoulder, he averaged 15 contested possessions a game as a Gold Coast Sun.

But yeah.
Friends handing their friend a ball.

Go back to your cubby house boy.

I saw the stats, he shat the bed against port in 07, got outplayed by a defender in 08, shat the bed again in 09.

I even checked some of his prime H&A games in 2008. Then remembered Cooney had a better season so I switched over to his highlights.
Honestly, why do you bother participating in these threads when your sole objective is to derail them and spread uninformed rubbish. In case you hadn't checked almost 80% of respondents in this thread say GAJ is the best midfielder of the 21st Century and this is backed up by a few of his illustrious stats:
Think about those stats! For 8 years in a row GAJ was All Australian and he has won the Leigh Mathews trophy more than any other player by a country mile - 5 trophies to next best, 2

I don’t need to. For the rest of his time he was averaging 15
Even factoring in the football he played after smashing his shoulder, he averaged 15 contested possessions a game as a Gold Coast Sun.

But yeah.
Friends handing their friend a ball.

Go back to your cubby house boy.

So he reached libba’s level in 2023. Spectacular.

So he reached libba’s level in 2023. Spectacular.

Yes but it’s amazing how much more respect you gain for doing it for 6 consecutive seasons in a team of battlers rather than a team of guys with premiership and grand final experience having also proven you can do it when there are 5-6 other elite midfielders vying for midfield time too.

So strange. Such a conundrum.
Good comparison though, really top marks for effort.

Where will you go next?

Will you go down the ‘Chris Judd NEARLY reached that level for 1-2 seasons?’ Path?

What about the ‘Josh Kennedy did better than that……… for a while anyway, couldn’t maintain it for as long, wasn’t nearly as damaging in virtually every other aspect of the game’ route?

Must be tempting, surely.

Come on, what area will you try and take the piss out of next before you wet your pants again?

Yes but it’s amazing how much more respect you gain for doing it for 6 consecutive seasons in a team of battlers rather than a team of guys with premiership and grand final experience having also proven you can do it when there are 5-6 other elite midfielders vying for midfield time too.

So strange. Such a conundrum.
Good comparison though, really top marks for effort.

Where will you go next?

Will you go down the ‘Chris Judd NEARLY reached that level for 1-2 seasons?’ Path?

What about the ‘Josh Kennedy did better than that……… for a while anyway, couldn’t maintain it for as long, wasn’t nearly as damaging in virtually every other aspect of the game’ route?

Must be tempting, surely.

Come on, what area will you try and take the piss out of next before you wet your pants again?

Not my thing. I go for players peaks rather than consistency in H&A. Congrats on GAJ for being libbas level for 6 years. I mean his Brownlows were only 28 and 30 votes I think. Not even enough to win one today. Even Wines did better than that. But whatever floats your boat g.

Not my thing. I go for players peaks rather than consistency in H&A. Congrats on GAJ for being libbas level for 6 years. I mean his Brownlows were only 28 and 30 votes I think. Not even close enough to win one today. Even Wines did better than that. But whatever floats your boat g.

Oh right so now it’s players peaks in a home and away season where they don’t win or achieve anything.

You really chop and change what you rate, quite regularly a lot, don’t you?

Is it an email address thing?

‘Whoops, just changed email and username again. Better change what I rate in an afl player.’

Oh right so now it’s players peaks in a home and away season where they don’t win or achieve anything.

You really chop and change what you rate, quite regularly a lot, don’t you?

Is it an email address thing?

‘Whoops, just changed email and username again. Better change what I rate in an afl player.’

Gary abletts peak in H&A is behind many. Just look at the Brownlow medal votes. Even Danger did better twice.

It’s just his consistency that makes him good.

Gary abletts peak in H&A is behind many. Just look at the Brownlow medal votes. Even Danger did better twice.

Yeah I reckon that’s really true. I do.

I reckon that’s very very true and un-arguable.

Because if someone plays 22 ok games where the other 43 players are s**t, and they get 3 votes in each, that means they’ve had a better season than someone else 10 years earlier, who’s played 22 excellent games where the other 43 players were also often excellent so they’ve had to often share the votes. Like it’s just not even debatable hey 😂😂😂😂

It’s like you’ve just been created by a master race of aliens who’ve spent their days consulting a NASA super computer about how to take the components from every great philosopher ever to stride the planet and thought ‘how can we make a faultless thinker.’

Libba’s peak that was 3 contested possessions below Ablett’s is now what sets the benchmark for contested footy.

No that’s Abletts benchmark. His peak contested footy is libbas level. But he does do other stuff better.

Still waiting for the response regarding abletts low Brownlow vote tally’s. You surprised so many people beat him including Wines, Danger twice etc and even Cooney and Priddis beat him as his peak? What does that say about his peak aye?

Like I said he’s consistent, that’s the only thing that makes him good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No that’s Abletts benchmark. His peak contested footy is libbas level. But he does do other stuff better.

Still waiting for the response regarding abletts low Brownlow vote tally’s. You surprised so many people beat him including Wines, Danger twice etc and even Cooney beat him as his peak? What does that say about his peak aye?

No, Ablett’s average contested footy is Liberatore’s peak level:
Ablett’s peak contested football is far superior.
You wanted to try and debate something. Debate it properly instead of continuing to make a fool of yourself.

Still waiting for the response regarding abletts low Brownlow vote tally’s. You surprised so many people beat him including Wines, Danger twice etc and even Cooney beat him as his peak? What does that say about his peak aye?

I’ve already given it to you. Scroll back up.

Your inability to get your head around this reality is utterly terrifying

No, Ablett’s average contested footy is Liberatore’s peak level:
Ablett’s peak contested football is far superior.
You wanted to try and debate something. Debate it properly instead of continuing to make a fool of yourself.

Peak contested football in a game? In a season? What are you referring to.

Peak contested football in a game? In a season? What are you referring to.

You wanted to try bullshit your way through an argument because you thought Ablett wasn’t a good contested player and you had it thrown in your face that he was.

You thought highlighting one good season of Liberatore’s contested possession gathering - in which he matched Ablett’s entire CAREER average at the Gold Coast, would somehow make them look equal.

Then you claimed that you were only interested in their peaks as a guide.

So I pointed out to you that their peaks as contested players were Ablett averaging 17.5 contested touches a game and Liberatore 14.

Any time you want to make a coherent argument, feel free.

Are you actually addicted to coming back here and looking stupid or do you just keep returning thinking ‘ok ok I’ve got them this time.’

You wanted to try bullshit your way through an argument because you thought Ablett wasn’t a good contested player and you had it thrown in your face that he was.

You thought highlighting one good season of Liberatore’s contested possession gathering - in which he matched Ablett’s entire CAREER average at the Gold Coast, would somehow make them look equal.

Then you claimed that you were only interested in their peaks as a guide.

So I pointed out to you that their peaks as contested players were Ablett averaging 17.5 contested touches a game and Liberatore 14.

Any time you want to make a coherent argument, feel free.

Are you actually addicted to coming back here and looking stupid or do you just keep returning thinking ‘ok ok I’ve got them this time.’

Libbas cp average over a career. 12.18

GAJs cp average over his career. 11.20

Make of that what you will. Didn’t say he was bad still pretty good but a little below libbas’s level. Thought you rated consistency no? It’s worse for Gary in this regard.

Libbas cp average over a career. 12.18

GAJs cp average over his career. 11.20

Make of that what you will. Didn’t say he was bad still pretty good but a little below libbas’s level.

Lol, and one of them spent 7 seasons as a small forward 😂😂😂

Oh, and it was what, 3? Was it 3 posts ago? You said you were only worried about their peak?

Lol, and one of them spent 7 seasons as a small forward

Oh, and it was what, 3? Was it 3 posts ago? You said you were only worried about their peak?

Gary’s peak is better. I rate him higher overall obviously. I’m pointing out your flawed consistency argument. If we did your way he’d be considered worse, but my way with the peak argument he’s better which you agree with. See

I’ll leave the thread then if it bothers you. Sorry.

Sounds Good GIF by Leroy Patterson

Probably the stupidest argument I’ve heard.
If you need to create a heap of different accounts, only to come up with this sort of s**t, you’re seriously in all sorts mate.

Back