What is your clubs best 22 of the 21st century so far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Corey and Wojo unlucky too

Actually Corey ahead of Duncan in the starting line-up, Duncan probably to the bench at Ling’s expense.

I thought about King on the strength of him having 2-3 really elite full seasons but it’s hard to ignore how good Ottens was when he was fit.

I loved Riccardi and it still pisses me off that we couldn’t quite get the big prize when he was still on the park

B: Enright Scarlett Milburn
HB: Stewart Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Dangerfield Bartel
HF: S Johnson Cameron Chapman
F: Stokes Hawkins Stengle
Foll: Ablett Ottens Selwood

Int: J Kelly, Blicavs, Duncan, C Guthrie.

Maybe a little bit midfielder heavy but Blicavs offsets that a fair bit. If not for injury Matthew Egan would present a real conundrum
Duncan has been a great player, but I think it's unfair to list him twice.

FB: Enright Scarlett Milburn
C: Duncan Dangerfield Kelly
HF: Bartel Cameron Miers
FF: Johnson Hawkins Chapman
FOL: Ottens Selwood Ablett
IC: Blicavs Guthrie Stokes Corey

Mine is also midfielder heavy but in this side you'd be able to have Bartel, Ablett and Dangerfield all rotating through the forward flank. Duncan and Kelly are both capable at half back but would be an excellent combo on the wing primarily.

Stengle with one AA season and one solid but unspectacular season hasn't got enough runs on the board yet. Miers delivering to that forward line would be a delight and he can effectively push up as a creative wingman.

Corey remains underrated. He'd round out the more electric midfielders nicely, as he did in the '07-'11 side. And he'd be dishing it out to the many classy players from the pack.

Tuohy is desperately unlucky. Kelly, Guthrie, Corey or Milburn would probably be the spots up for grabs.

Last edited:

Duncan has been a great player, but I think it's unfair to list him twice.

FB: Enright Scarlett Milburn
C: Duncan Dangerfield Kelly
HF: Bartel Cameron Miers
FF: Johnson Hawkins Chapman
FOL: Ottens Selwood Ablett
IC: Blicavs Guthrie Stokes Corey

Mine is also midfielder heavy but in this side you'd be able to have Bartel, Ablett and Dangerfield all rotating through the forward flank. Duncan and Kelly are both capable at half back but would be an excellent combo on the wing primarily.

Stengle with one AA season and one solid but unspectacular season hasn't got enough runs on the board yet. Miers delivering to that forward line would be a delight and he can effectively push up as a creative wingman.

Corey remains underrated. He'd round out the more electric midfielders nicely, as he did in the '07-'11 side. And he'd be dishing it out to the many classy players from the pack.

Yeah if I could be bothered I’d go back and change my original post but I’ve just made changes on the run, Corey to Duncan’s spot on the field, Duncan to stay on the bench and only be picked once.

I know Stengle’s only been there for two years and one of those he missed nearly half of it.

It’s just the one position that we have never had a consistently elite type posting 50 goal seasons (genuine small forward) so I’ve sort of clung onto him in the absence of others

Yeah if I could be bothered I’d go back and change my original post but I’ve just made changes on the run, Corey to Duncan’s spot on the field, Duncan to stay on the bench and only be picked once.

I know Stengle’s only been there for two years and one of those he missed nearly half of it.

It’s just the one position that we have never had a consistently elite type posting 50 goal seasons (genuine small forward) so I’ve sort of clung onto him in the absence of others
Fair enough. Hypothetically though I reckon in this side Bartel, Ablett and Dangerfield would alternate high half forward so Johnson and Chapman could stay deeper. I reckon they'd be going 40 plus and can still rotate through midfield.

Stengle with a few more good years could build his case. I included Miers because he was elite in his role in 2023 but also had a very good 2022 and former years as more of a goal sneak (even if his goal kicking radar was off this year). I imagine that's who Stengle would compete with for that last forward spot.

Fair enough. Hypothetically though I reckon in this side Bartel, Ablett and Dangerfield would alternate high half forward so Johnson and Chapman could stay deeper. I reckon they'd be going 40 plus and can still rotate through midfield.

Stengle with a few more good years could build his case. I included Miers because he was elite in his role in 2023 but also had a very good 2022 and former years as more of a goal sneak (even if his goal kicking radar was off this year). I imagine that's who Stengle would compete with for that last forward spot.

No doubt at all Johnson and Chapman if they played as permanent deep, small-ish forwards, would have been 40-minimum forwards. Johnson was that anyway rotating through the middle

B: C.Enright M.Scarlett D.Milburn
HB: T.Stewart H.Taylor A.Mackie
C: M.Duncan P.Dangerfield J.Bartel
HF: S Johnson J. Cameron P.Chapman
F: M. Stokes T. Hawkins C. Ling
Foll: G. Ablett B. Ottens J. Selwood

Int: J Kelly, M. Blicavs, J. Corey, M Rooke
Sub: D.Wojcinski

Last edited:
Collingwood 21st Century Best 23

FB Brayden Maynard - Simon Prestigiacomo - James Clement
HB Nick Maxwell - Darcy Moore - Heath Shaw
C Steele Sidebottom - Nathan Buckley - Dale Thomas
HF Jordan De Goey - Brody Mihocek - Jamie Elliot
FF Leon Davis - Travis Cloke - Alan Didak
FOLL Darren Jolly - Dane Swan - Scott Pendlebury
BENCH Ben Johnson - Scott Burns - Nick Dacios - Chris Tarrant
SUB: Anthony Rocca

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Would probably stick Rocca in the team as that forward line is a little on the short side otherwise. A very good team though.

Also my memory could be failing me but didn't Leon Davis do his best work off half back?

Would probably stick Rocca in the team as that forward line is a little on the short side otherwise. A very good team though.

Also my memory could be failing me but didn't Leon Davis do his best work off half back?
Davis played half back in 2011 and got AA alongside it, but retired shortly afterwards due to a falling out with Buckley.

Thoughts?
That would be one tough defensive group to crack. I'd probably only pick two of Maynard, Clement and Maxwell though. Maybe Ben Johnson or Lumumba as an extra running rebounder at half back? I've noticed you do have the former on the bench.

Rocca over Miochek surely.

Hill has had two excellent finals in a premiership. Controversial but he might slip into a side for grand final day over Davis, but of course he needs a few more years at the Pies before serious consideration.

Beams at his peak was a pretty special player. 3 seasons at the Pies with 7.4 score involvements or more per game. A season with 99 coaches votes. I guess he'd be in competition with De Goey?

Baker Hudghton Dempster
Goddard Fisher Sinclair
Montagna Hayes Dal Santo
Ball Riewoldt Steele
Milne Gehrig Schneider
Marshall Harvey Steven
Wilkie Geary Ross A Jones
Good shout, and not far off I wouldnt think. Personally, I would make 2 changes for a bit more team balance.

For me, feels a genuine forward short (2 mids on a HFF and no forward on the bench feels light). Would move Ball to the bench and Ross out. Third forward spot goes to Kozy, Hamill or Membrey. King probably takes that spot in a year or 2, but for team fit currently would go Members.

Also dont think Geary gets in (no need for him and Baker, and Bakes gets the nod there). For flexibility, would take J.Blake on that last bench spot.

Means 15 or so of our best 22 were playing together in 04/05. Bloody hell we had a good team then

Last edited:
B: McVeigh Hurley Fletcher
HB: Solomon Wellman Goddard
C: Heppell J. Johnson Caracella
HF: Hird Daniher Mercuri
FF: Stringer Lloyd AMT
Foll: Ryder Watson Merrett
Int: Hille, Misiti, Stanton, Hooker

Quite hard for the Dons, lots of reliance on the 2000 era

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something like this I'd say -

fb- J. Bowden, D. Gaspar, D. Grimes
hb- B. Houli, A. Rance, C. Newman
c- S. Grigg, K Johnson, W. Campbell
hf- B. Deledio, M. Richardson, K. Lambert
ff- S. Edwards, J. Riewoldt, N. Brown
r- T. Nankervis, D. Martin, T. Cotchin
i/c: N. Vlastuin, D. Astbury, D. Prestia, J.Short
Lacking a bit for genuine forwards. It's quite defender heavy. I think Lynch, Richo and Riewoldt could fit in the same side. One would be able to roam or play third tall.

Rioli has been good at either end. He or Bolton would add better balance IMO.

Yeah fair call I think - I did um and ahh a little on that final spot - Hunter would add a bit more team balance.

Also consider Liam Ryan but just not enough good footy unfortunately.
I guess there's a lot of competition for midfielders but Fletcher was very good and could be considered unlucky to miss out.

Thoughts?
Ben Reid or Tarrant for that Swingman spot?

Also as others have said Rocca over Mihocek.

Prove to me why Rocca is more impactful than Mihocek.
4 seasons going at 2+ goals a game compared to none.

Rocca set up more goals for team mates.

Booming kick.

More inside 50s and contested possessions per game.

A much better contested mark, borne out by stats and just watching them play.

The fact he did it for 15 odd seasons counts for something unless Miochek is well and truly ahead of him for talent and output.

What does Miochek do better - a few more tackles? Rocca even has hom covered for 1%ers.

4 seasons going at 2+ goals a game compared to none.

Rocca set up more goals for team mates.

Booming kick.

More inside 50s and contested possessions per game.

A much better contested mark, borne out by stats and just watching them play.

The fact he did it for 15 odd seasons counts for something unless Miochek is well and truly ahead of him for talent and output.

What does Miochek do better - a few more tackles? Rocca even has hom covered for 1%ers.

Can ruck and has played back.

FB: Saad, Weitering, Docherty
HB: Lappin, Jamison, Simpson
C: Kouta, Walsh, Camporale
HF: Walker, McKay, Marc Murphy
FF: Betts, Curnow, Fevola
R: Kreuzer, Judd, Cripps
B: Ratten, Whitnall, Waite, Gibbs

Probably missing something obvious here

Brisbane Lions 2000-2023

B: Johnson, Michael, Andrews
HB: Rich, Leppitsch, White
C: Lappin, Voss (c), McCluggage
HF: Akermanis, Brown, Zorko
F: Cameron, Lynch, Bradshaw
Foll: Martin, Black, Neale
Int: Power, Beams, Adcock, M. Ashcroft
Sub: Pike

McRae, Hanley, Rockliff, Redden, Lyons, Notting probably most unlucky.

No doubt I’ve missed someone obvious.

Brisbane Lions 2000-2023

B: Johnson, Michael, Andrews
HB: Rich, Leppitsch, White
C: Lappin, Voss (c), McCluggage
HF: Akermanis, Brown, Zorko
F: Cameron, Lynch, Bradshaw
Foll: Martin, Black, Neale
Int: Power, Beams, Adcock, M. Ashcroft
Sub: Pike

McRae, Hanley, Rockliff, Redden, Lyons, Notting probably most unlucky.

No doubt I’ve missed someone obvious.
Jed Adock ya reckon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back