What is your clubs best 22 of the 21st century so far?

So far I have

B: Doughty, Rutten, Johncock
HB: Smith, Talia, Dawson
C: McLeod, Ricciuto, Edwards
HF: Goodwin, Jenkins, Sloane
F: Betts, Walker, Welsh
Foll: Jacobs, Dangerfield, Thompson
Int: Douglas, Burton, Laird, Cameron

B: Johnson, Michael, Andrews
HB: Rich, Leppitsch, White
C: Lappin, Voss (c), McCluggage
HF: Akermanis, Brown, Zorko
F: Cameron, Lynch, Bradshaw
Foll: Martin, Black, Neale
Int: Power, Beams, Adcock, M. Ashcroft

B: Saad, Weitering, Docherty
HB: Lappin, Jamison, Simpson
C: Kouta, Walsh, Camporale
HF: Walker, McKay, Marc Murphy
F: Betts, Curnow, Fevola
Foll: Kreuzer, Judd, Cripps
Int: Ratten, Whitnall, Waite, Gibbs

B: Maynard, Prestigiacomo, Clement
HB: Maxwell, Moore, H.Shaw
C: Sidebottom, Buckley, Thomas
HF: De Goey, Mihocek, Elliot
F: L.Davis, T.Cloke, Didak
Foll: Jolly, Swan, Pendlebury
Int: B.Johnson, Burns, Dacios, Tarrant

B: McVeigh Hurley Fletcher
HB: Solomon Wellman Goddard
C: Heppell J. Johnson Caracella
HF: Hird Daniher Mercuri
FF: Stringer Lloyd AMT
Foll: Ryder Watson Merrett
Int: Hille, Misiti, Stanton, Hooker

FB: L.Ryan, Pearce, M.Johnson
HB: Hayden, McPharlin, Duffield
C: B.Hill, Mundy, S.Hill
HF: Walters, Pavlich, Ballantyne
FF: Mayne, Longmuir, Farmer
Foll: Sandilands, Fyfe, Bell
Int: Darcy, Grover, Neale, Hasleby

B: Enright, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Mackie
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Kelly
HF: Bartel, Cameron, Miers
F: Johnson, Hawkins, Chapman
Foll: Ottens, Selwood, Ablett
Int: Blicavs, Guthrie, Stokes, Corey

GWS
B: Shaw, Davis, Haynes
HB: Whitfield, Taylor, Williams
C: Kelly, Ward, Scully
HF: Greene, Cameron, Johnson
F: Daniels, Hogan, Himmelberg
Foll: Mumford, Coniglio, Steele
Int: Treloar, Shiel, Green, Finlayson

B: Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne
HB: Birchall, Sicily, Hodge
C: Hill, S.Mitchell, I.Smith
HF: Gunston, Roughead, Williams
F: Breust, Franklin, Rioli
Foll: McEvoy, Lewis, Crawford
Int: Hale, Puopolo, Guerra, T.Mitchell

FB: Lever, May, Hibberd
HB: Salem, Rivers, Brayshaw
C: Green, Oliver, Bruce
HF: Petracca, Robertson, Yze
FF: Fritsch, Neitz, Davey
FOL: Gawn, Viney, Woewoddin
IC: Jones, McDonald, K.Pickett, White

B: Firrito, Tarrant, Rawlings
HB: Archer, Thompson, King
C: Simpson, Swallow, Higgins
HF: Wells, Petrie, Grant
F: Thomas, Larkey, Brown
Foll: Goldstein, Cunnington, Harvey
Int: Stevens, Ziebell, Simpkin, Sheezel

B: Bowden, Gaspar, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Newman
C: Grigg, Johnson, Campbell
HF: Deledio, Richardson, Lambert
F: Edwards, Riewoldt, Brown
Foll: Nankervis, Martin, Cotchin
Int: Vlastuin, Astbury, Prestia, Short

B: Baker, Hudghton, Dempster
HB: Goddard, Fisher, Sinclair
C: Montagna, Hayes, Dal Santo
HF: Ball, Riewoldt, Steele
F: Milne, Gehrig, Schneider
Foll: Marshall, Harvey, Steven
Int: Wilkie, Geary, Ross, A Jones

B: Smith, Richards, Roberts-Thompson
HB: McVeigh, C.Bolton, Kennelly
C: Goodes, Jack, Hannebery
HF: Papley, Franklin, Davis
F: O'Loughlin, Hall, O'Keefe
Foll: Ball, Kennedy, Kirk
Int: Parker, Malceski, J.Bolton, Rampe

B: Morris, Lake, Wood
HF: Murphy, Grant, Gilbee
C: Griffen, Cooney, West
HF: Johnson, Naughton, Hahn
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Akermanis
Fol: Darcy, Bontempelli, Liberatore
Int: M Boyd, Hargrave, Cross, R Smith

B: Wirrpanda, Glass, Sheppard
HB: Hurn, McGovern, Waters
C: Gaff, Cousins, Kerr
HF: Cripps, Darling, Embley
F: Matera, Kennedy, LeCras
Foll: Cox, Judd, Shuey
Int: Naitanui, Priddis, Yeo, Braun

Short Port Adelaide and Gold Coast.

I assume these sides are just the first post in the thread?

I think the Hawthorn side posted needs a couple of changes.

Brad Sewell I assume was forgotten and needs to be in (ahead of Puopolo or Guerra). Sewell won out best and fairest in '07, got the most Brownlow votes for Hawthorn in our flag year in '08 (and '09), made the AA squad in '09, was 3rd in the Norm Smith in '08 and was 2nd in the Normie in '12 (would have won had Hawthorn held on). He also played more games for us that either Poppy or Guerra, whose resumes simply don't match his.

I also think Croad could come in for the other. Structurally the side looks better with him at CHB, he took the best forward every week to great effect and was All Australian in the role.

In terms of quality, I also favour Peter Everitt as a ruck (though I know some Hawthorn fans don't like his personality and leave him out as a result). But unlike our other options, he was dominant as a ruckman (best in the league for a bit and Hawthorn's best player). He won our best and fairest in 2004 and was robbed of his 3rd All Australian (had more than 100 hit outs more than any other ruck AND kicked 28 goals). Was AA again in 2005 and was top 10 in the Brownlow (#1 among rucks) in a poor side.

Instead of spruiking my own version - I think Judd2Sewell 's side (post #84) should be the one used.

I assume these sides are just the first post in the thread?

I think the Hawthorn side posted needs a couple of changes.

Brad Sewell I assume was forgotten and needs to be in (ahead of Puopolo or Guerra). Sewell won out best and fairest in '07, got the most Brownlow votes for Hawthorn in our flag year in '08 (and '09), made the AA squad in '09, was 3rd in the Norm Smith in '08 and was 2nd in the Normie in '12 (would have won had Hawthorn held on). He also played more games for us that either Poppy or Guerra, whose resumes simply don't match his.

I also think Croad could come in for the other. Structurally the side looks better with him at CHB, he took the best forward every week to great effect and was All Australian in the role.

In terms of quality, I also favour Peter Everitt as a ruck (though I know some Hawthorn fans don't like his personality and leave him out as a result). But unlike our other options, he was dominant as a ruckman (best in the league for a bit and Hawthorn's best player). He won our best and fairest in 2004 and was robbed of his 3rd All Australian (had more than 100 hit outs more than any other ruck AND kicked 28 goals). Was AA again in 2005 and was top 10 in the Brownlow (#1 among rucks) in a poor side.

Instead of spruiking my own version - I think Judd2Sewell 's side (post #84) should be the one used.
I agree you need a true CHB, which has to be Croad (or Frawley), I agree with Spider over McEvoy but it is close. Sewell is a really tough one. Does that team really need another midfielder when a player like Guerra a different role? Really tough call.

Some good points.

Sewell vs other non mids such as Guerra is indeed a tough call. I shared my views earlier in the thread about rep sides and players that most deserve recognition fitting an approximate structure as more important than worrying about the exact make up of the side as though they are actually going to play a game. On that front, I think Sewell trumps Guerra for all he produced at Hawthorn and deserves his place.

If they were to play a game, however, I would probably still select Sewell. Most teams these days run with multiple mids on the bench as a large number of players rotate through there (and the proposed bench already has 1 ruck, 1 inside player (Sewell), 1 defender and 1 outside player (Hill)). I don't think that's too many. Even if it was, I probably still would be inclined to pick Sewell as the midfield is full of attacking ball winners (which Sewell can also do to great effect) but Sewell has the capability to do what others can't defensively - can tag, focus on tackling, push back, etc (and play a more complementary role to Mitchell, Lewis, etc than someone like Tom Mitchell can).

Interestingly enough in making a choice between Sewell and someone like Guerra for team make up purposes is the fact that the first half of Sewell's career (before becoming an elite mid), was spent in Guerra's role in the back pocket (which shows he could play there if asked but probably wouldn't be and wouldn't do it as well as Guerra would).

If I did need to pick another defender instead, Guerra would be a chance but I'd probably lean toward Stratton if needing a lockdown or Joel Smith (2xAA, BnF) if needing an attacking threat. Guerra would be the choice if looking for a balance of the two.

Port Adelaide need more love in this thread.

They have AA tall defenders (Aliir, Cornes); AA small defenders (Wanganeen, Burgoyne, Montgomery, Byrne-Jones), AA key forwards (Tredrea, Dixon), AA small forwards (Grey, Wingard), AA ruckmen (Lade, Primus, Ryder), and AA mids (Cornes, Francou, Wines, Rozee, Boak, Wines).

Lumumba instead of Nick Daicos on the half back flank is crazy talk. Crisp would be ahead of Heretier in that position too. Otherwise, solid effort.
Heritier was a stud. Quick, strong and played on talls and smalls. Definitely deserves to be in the team IMO

I think people forget how good heritier was and only remember the drama at the end. Goodes has the same problem. Both stars overshadowed by how their careers ended in the minds of some fans.

Completely unfairly.

I think people forget how good heritier was and only remember the drama at the end. Goodes has the same problem. Both stars overshadowed by how their careers ended in the minds of some fans.

Completely unfairly.
Most underrated shepherder as well, always looking to put blocks on, great player and teammate.
He was very ahead of his time I reckon. Would be a superstar defender in today's game. Perfect blend of defensive strength and attacking flair.

In my memory he wasn't as good a kick as Stewart or Sicily but that sort of thing is always hard to remember perfectly clearly when it isn't your team.

Oh s**t so I do, I think I was reserving his place on the bench for Ling.

Can’t really see anywhere either Tuohy or Harley get in. They were both - are in Tuohy’s case - fantastic players.

All the stuff Harley offers gets covered by Mackie and Stewart though: the intercepting and zoning off, and I don’t think Tuohy is quite as strong and versatile as Milburn
Dual B&F Joel Corey might just scrape in.

Dustin Fletcher - Cale Hooker - Mark Johnson
Jordan Ridley - Michael Hurley - Mason Redman
Brent Stanton - Jobe Watson - Brendan Goddard
James Hird - Scott Lucas - Angus Monfries
Joe Daniher - Matthew Lloyd - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Paddy Ryder - Jason Johnson - Zach Merrett
Dyson Heppell - Adam McPhee - Darcy Parish - Joe Misiti

For Melbourne: Gawn, May, Neitz, Oliver and Petracca are walk up starts. Yze and Robertson also make it but you could quibble about their position. What sticks out is a lack of quality key defenders and forwards after May and Neitz, so Frawley gets in by virtual default.

B: Neville Jetta - Steven May - James Frawley
HB: Nathan Brown - Jake Lever - Michael Hibberd
C: Cameron Bruce - Clayton Oliver - Travis Johnstone
HF: Kysaiah Pickett - Russell Robertson - Adem Yze
F: Bayley Fritsch - David Neitz - Jeff Farmer
R: Max Gawn - Christian Petracca - Nathan Jones
I: Aaron Davey - Brad Green - Jack Viney - Jeff White

Jetta over Whelan was a toughish call but I reckon Nifty had the better career in the end. Doggy Brown was a really good servant for a long time off half back so had him ahead of the likes of Salem. Cam Bruce as a utility is why I don’t have Brayshaw in the side. Travis Johnstone was lazy af but played a lot of his best footy in finals and felt he had the skill set for the wing/outside mid role. Russell Robertson was very good as an undersized CHF and I rated his career more highly than Hogan, T McDonald, Miller and 21st Century Schwarz. Pickett and Fritsch are both prolific goal kickers and deserve their spots. Farmer is a tad controversial as he only had two years with us but his 2000 season with 76 goals was probably the best individual season I’ve seen from a Melbourne player. I like the versatility of Green and Davey off the bench and had N Jones and Viney just ahead of J McDonald.

Chris Johnson, Harris Andrews, Chris Scott.
Daniel Rich, Justin Leppitsch, Darryl White.

Clark Keating, Michael Voss(C), Simon Black.
Lachie Neale, Jason Akermanis, Nigel Lappin.

Charlie Cameron, Jonathan Brown, Joe Daniher.
Shaun Hart, Alistair Lynch, Craig McRae.

Dayne Zorko, Luke Power, Marcus Ashcroft, Hugh McCluggage.