If the VFL/AFL greatest team of all time, was selected today, who is in, and who is out of the team of the century

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong!
Carey actually did it in a different era entirely. He always had multiple defenders hanging off him.

You are familiar with the stat '20 & 3' correct?
Not many top line players managed 10 in their entire careers and Carey managed this 8 times in 23 finals he played.
He was a colossus.

Martin's unfit to lace the Ducks boots.
Not many players win a Norm Smith medal either and only one player has 3 of them, Dusty's 2017 season is probably one of the best ever seen, Premiership Player, Norm Smith Medal, Leigh Matthews Trophy, AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award, Jack Dyer Medal, Gary Ayres Award, All Australian, Yiooken Award, Ian Stewart Medal, Lou Richards Medal.

Not many players win a Norm Smith medal either and only one player has 3 of them, Dusty's 2017 season is probably one of the best ever seen, Premiership Player, Norm Smith Medal, Leigh Matthews Trophy, AFLCA Champion Player of the Year Award, Jack Dyer Medal, Gary Ayres Award, All Australian, Yiooken Award, Ian Stewart Medal, Lou Richards Medal.

And ironically, Patrick Dangerfield matched that in 2017 but received half the fanfare as Geelong got smashed in the prelim final.
But I wouldn't for a second have Dangerfield ahead of Diesel Williams or James Hird. Martin's in the same category as Dangerfield.

And Dangerfield’s biggest contribution in that Prelim was getting laid out by Rory Sloane
Martin overtook Dangerfield in finals that year by playing 3 great finals compared to 1.

It's a lot easier to look good when your team are swarming the opposition though as opposed to being run ragged. Dangerfield's performances in winning finals over the years are similarly strong. Martin's performances in losing finals over the years are similarly patchy/ineffective.

Overall Martin has the better percentage of strong finals but he has also played 10 less and much more often was part of a dominant finals side.

Over their whole careers Dangerfield has been more consistently elite. Not a lot splits them overall.

Doull should be one of the first picked, I have no doubt he would be in an all time side if done again today.

A decent effort overall, perhaps a little too much recency bias, but a better contribution than I have given so can’t complain.

I would say 8 from one decade is too many, just like 6 from one club is too many.

Collingwood not having a single player is just stupid.

I think it's a funny quirk but... if you think a bit about it... is is just a coincidence?

Collingwood are, by some distance, the most successful club.

They've won 126 more games than any other club.

They have an all-time win record of 61%. Which I had to check a couple of times, because it's actually quite absurd over 127 years. 1600 wins from 2652 games.

They have an all-time percentage of 112%, which is also pretty amazing.

They've played in 45 grand finals, compared to 30 for the next best, Essendon. 50% more. It's ridiculous.

Their dominance over the competition is not really recognised due to the Collywobbles phenomenon. Had they even just broke even in Grand Finals, people would have their heads around just how successful they've been.

So the point is... this is a team game and the Team Of The Century is an individual award. Individuals matter less to team success in footy than any other sport (there's so many players on the field).

Collingwood have had far better teams than the rest so maybe it's not a surprise they've had less standout individuals. It's a bit chicken-and-egg I'm sure... They've had less standout individuals, but their individuals have also stood out less in a relative sense because they've been surrounded by better players. They're not called upon to perform as many individual heroics because the load is shared by other good players.

Then you look at Brownlows... South / Sydney (they of the 72 year flag drought) have the most with 14. Then St Kilda and the Bulldogs with 10 each - two of the most unsuccessful clubs.

I reckon there's something there, it says a bit about the sport.

I think it's a funny quirk but... if you think a bit about it... is is just a coincidence?

Collingwood are, by some distance, the most successful club.

They've won 126 more games than any other club.

They have an all-time win record of 61%. Which I had to check a couple of times, because it's actually quite absurd over 127 years. 1600 wins from 2652 games.

They have an all-time percentage of 112%, which is also pretty amazing.

They've played in 45 grand finals, compared to 30 for the next best, Essendon. 50% more. It's ridiculous.

Their dominance over the competition is not really recognised due to the Collywobbles phenomenon. Had they even just broke even in Grand Finals, people would have their heads around just how successful they've been.

So the point is... this is a team game and the Team Of The Century is an individual award. Individuals matter less to team success in footy than any other sport (there's so many players on the field).

Collingwood have had far better teams than the rest so maybe it's not a surprise they've had less standout individuals. It's a bit chicken-and-egg I'm sure... They've had less standout individuals, but their individuals have also stood out less in a relative sense because they've been surrounded by better players. They're not called upon to perform as many individual heroics because the load is shared by other good players.

Then you look at Brownlows... South / Sydney (they of the 72 year flag drought) have the most with 14. Then St Kilda and the Bulldogs with 10 each - two of the most unsuccessful clubs.

I reckon there's something there, it says a bit about the sport.
It is a quirk.

It is hilarious Peter Moore won 2 brownlows and was a dominant player but Nichols got in 🤷‍♂️

But Moore does not deserve to be in, Madden probably does. Nichols doesn’t - certainly not as a back pocket.

Why they decided to make the team in 1996 I have no idea.

Some of these changes could’ve already been there like having Lockett and Carey in.

Although I think Lockett should be the FF I think the AFL would still keep Coleman in due to the fact they named the leading goal kicker medal after him in the early 1980s I believe.
Because 1897-1996 is the century in question, it's the VFL/AFL century, and according to the AFL, no football was played before that time and anywhere else in the country. Who are we to argue.

On moto g22 using BigFooty.com mobile app

now you calm down mate. lol

You already upset the cats fans saying Tyrone Vickery was more accurate in set shots as Gary Ablett senoir lol

He didn’t upset anyone. There are hundreds of more accurate kicks than him. He started a debate he couldn’t win because he tried to suggest that accuracy was somehow relevant to a player’s value if they are impacting the scoreboard less than someone who is more profligate in front of goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn’t upset anyone. There are hundreds of more accurate kicks than him. He started a debate he couldn’t win because he tried to suggest that accuracy was somehow relevant to a player’s value if they are impacting the scoreboard less than someone who is more profligate in front of goal

Did the tigers poster try to start a Richmond Vs Geelong poo fight? Did that tigers poster try to turn that poo fight into the standards of the SA poo fight threads?

Junior to replace Senior on bench
Buddy to replace Jesaulenko
I have never been happy with Silvangi at FB but you can throw a blanket over half a dozen

That is it.

Jnr and Snr both start.

Scarlett the standout FB.

Boris for Nicholls.

Just bemused dangerfield gets a mention. Even the most optimistic view has him barely in the top ten players in the midfield across the afl in his own career ‘period of time’ but he’s a TOC candidate?

Poster didn’t even put him in position. A winger?

Just bemused dangerfield gets a mention. Even the most optimistic view has him barely in the top ten players in the midfield across the afl in his own career ‘period of time’ but he’s a TOC candidate?

Poster didn’t even put him in position. A winger?
He could end easily end up on 8000 disposals, 350+ goals and 250+ goal assists as a pure midfielder (not a forward/mid hybrid) though.

I daresay that's quite rare for his or any era.

Not in GRAND finals would be accurate, Dusty played infinitely better grand finals than Carey.

On moto g22 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t believe Carey was the best player of the finals series 3 times and obviously didn’t get 3 flags from them either.

Like with every comparison to Dusty, people can only be considered better than him in H&A unless somebody breaks his finals records. Up to you if you value that over GFs and finals. I don’t.

I don’t believe Carey was the best player of the finals series 3 times and obviously didn’t get 3 flags from them either.

Like with every comparison to Dusty, people can only be considered better than him in H&A unless somebody breaks his finals records. Up to you if you value that over GFs and finals. I don’t.

That’s your rule.

They can be considered better than him full-stop by anyone who’s ever followed the sport because that’s how 99 per cent of people judge the game.

That’s your rule.

They can be considered better than him full-stop by anyone who’s ever followed the sport because that’s how 99 per cent of people judge the game.

I just said they could. What was the purpose of your comment? Do you just like talking to me or something? The obsessions vibes a getting a little weird.

now you calm down mate. lol

You already upset the cats fans saying Tyrone Vickery was more accurate in set shots as Gary Ablett senoir lol
Truth hurts.

But not sure if they got upset, they instantly dismissed the fact to cope. It’s a truely impressive skill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back