Essendon 2000 has to be the greatest Team of all Time?

Were Essendon 2000 were the greates side ever to play the game in a single season?

• Yes

Votes: 50 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 81 61.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats 2008 were a great home and away team. One of the best ever there. But Premierships aren't won during the home and away season. Just ask West Coast 1991.

The Trophy cabinet called. They want their trophy back. But it was never theirs.

So you should have beaten us that night. There were 10 players in the team that night that didn't play in the 2000 flag. Only one of those 10 players, Berwick, wasn't at the club due to retirement. We were hit really hard by injury in 01, players in and out all season but that understandably gets lost in the passage of time. We also had a bad run of injuries in 99, and 02 as well. Then of course the salary cap issues hit at the end of 02, something Brisbane didn't have to worry about with being allowed to spend an extra 10% on their playing group than Victorian clubs. 2000 was the only season we got a decent run at it and every team needs that to win a flag. You can do all the planning in the world but you need some luck.

From memory Hird was playing injured in 2001 GF (a quick google says he tore his groin in the Prelim), which definitely wasn't a help. People have largely forgotten just how good he was.

2003 he came back from that serious face injury and finished 3 votes off the Brownlow medal from 6 (5 to Buckley) less games.

Bloke could seriously play.

From memory Hird was playing injured in 2001 GF (a quick google says he tore his groin in the Prelim), which definitely wasn't a help. People have largely forgotten just how good he was.

2003 he came back from that serious face injury and finished 3 votes off the Brownlow medal from 6 (5 to Buckley) less games.

Legend.

I wish all that bs didn't take such a toll on him. I wish him all the best. All these scum ridden people who like throwing out their s**t on others should hang there head in shame.

* attempting to take your own life FOR anyone. Long Live Hirdy:cool:

How about that bump on Hird in the 2004 elimination final? Then that ripping goal from Johnstone. Cracking game but Hirdy took the bump, go up and played on and played on well.

21 possessions and two goals.

And you can't forget that epic game where he kicked the winner against West Coast on Easter Saturday 2004 underlights at Telstra.

no argument from me.

I think that the teams that could have beaten or had a shot at beating them that I’ve seen were Carlton 95, us in 07, and us and the Pies in 11.

I know we had our shot in 08 and mathematically we did, but I think the best footy our side played was actually round 6 onward in 07. It won’t ever be borne out though in the history books because we finished the season 18-4.

I think 2007 suffers in comparison due to the PF where Cats only limped over the line against a relatively weak PF team. If it was a dominant PF I’d agree 2007 is near the top of single season dominance. Bombers of 2000 won their finals by 125 / 45 / 60 so I don’t think you can go past them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think 2007 suffers in comparison due to the PF where Cats only limped over the line against a relatively weak PF team. If it was a dominant PF I’d agree 2007 is near the top of single season dominance. Bombers of 2000 won their finals by 125 / 45 / 60 so I don’t think you can go past them.

Depends on the level/performance of the contender too; maybe that Collingwood side brought a much better level than the 2000 Roos/Blues in the finals.

Who's to say that Collingwood 2007 side were weaker than Bulldogs 2016 for example?

One less win than the team in 4th in the H&A both instances. Firmly in the chasing pack as underdogs rather than a leading contender.

6 goal win against the 2006 runner up, then beating the reigning premier on their home turf. Then they pushed a side considered one of the best this century to within a goal (no GWS/Sydney sides for them to face to claim a premiership).

Buckley
Swan
Burns
Didak
Medhurst
Davis
Thomas
Maxwell
O'Brien
O'Bree
Lockyer
Cloke
Rocca
Clement
Pendlebury Junior
Wakelin

That's a really solid nucleus of a team, a fair few of whom challenged the mighty Lions side of 2002-2003 and a great number who went on a dominant 2010-2011 run.

Depends on the level/performance of the contender too; maybe that Collingwood side brought a much better level than the 2000 Roos/Blues in the finals.

Who's to say that Collingwood 2007 side were weaker than Bulldogs 2016 for example?

One less win than the team in 4th in the H&A both instances. Firmly in the chasing pack as underdogs rather than a leading contender.

6 goal win against the 2006 runner up, then beating the reigning premier on their home turf. Then they pushed a side considered one of the best this century to within a goal (no GWS/Sydney sides for them to face to claim a premiership).

Buckley
Swan
Burns
Didak
Medhurst
Davis
Thomas
Maxwell
O'Brien
O'Bree
Lockyer
Cloke
Rocca
Clement
Pendlebury Junior
Wakelin

That's a really solid nucleus of a team, a fair few of whom challenged the mighty Lions side of 2002-2003 and a great number who went on a dominant 2010-2011 run.

I watched 2007 and Pies were an average quality finals team. Pies finished 6th with a percentage of 100% - that says it all really. Not saying the Bomber of 2000 faced any super strong opposition in finals either, but they blitzed them all.

Also 21-1 and 159% v 18-4 and 152%. Watching the Bombers of 2000 they never looked like not winning the flag from the moment they opened the season with wins of 93/43/36/47/24/63/40/64…. so they were flag favourites from basically the opening minute of the season until the final siren of the Grand Final, and not once did it ever look like they weren’t going to win the flag.

Geelong probably attained flag favouritism around mid-season, and were not looking like Premiers as late as the final siren of the PF.

So Bombers 2000 pretty easily over Cats 2007 for single season dominance, albeit Cats of 2007 were a great side.

Buckley
Swan
Burns
Didak
Medhurst
Davis
Thomas
Maxwell
O'Brien
O'Bree
Lockyer
Cloke
Rocca
Clement
Pendlebury Junior
Wakelin

Eagles 2007 were shithouse due to poor handling of their club both off the field and on it. Weak mindset. No discipline.

Lost home games to average Brisbane and Saints Teams. Blew a 37 point lead away to Essendon then blew a top 4 spot in the final home and away game of the year against The Dons after they almost let a 44 point lead slip at the last change. Were up by over 50 points in that game. Port absolutely blew them out of the water by 91 points when the final score should have read more like 190. You guys did hand them their first loss of the year and blitzed them and indeed Geelong were a good side. They had Judd on about 10 percent in The Port game playing at FF and Cousins went off injured blowing a 4 goal lead in the 3rd. A fully fit and firing West Coast in a different world where Judd wasn't injured and Cousins had his drug habit under control they could have won that Premiership. But they were anything but that year. We beat them missing Judd, Cousins and Kerr, in extra time so it shows what they were capable of.

2007 was the making of Hawthorn and us ( Collingwood ) although the Pies showed glimpses in 2006. We saw the future. You just pipped us by 5 points in The Prelim and we finished 6th with a 13-9 record.

Now all of this aside, You guys were great and in absolutely out of this world form after those early struggles. To be fair, one of the best sides I've seen. The form was just on another level. You also played such football in 1992 without the end product. But 2007 Geelong had that steely resolve and championship mindset.

Bombers still the best for me as they beat everyone by The Flemington Straight but Geelong 2007 certainly one of the best I've seen. 2011 also an insanely good team.

Dons 2000
Blues 95
Lions 2001
Cats 2007
Cats 2009
Cats 2011
Hawks 2013

Superb teams both single season and finals.

I watched 2007 and Pies were an average quality finals team. Pies finished 6th with a percentage of 100% - that says it all really. Not saying the Bomber of 2000 faced any super strong opposition in finals either, but they blitzed them all.

Also 21-1 and 159% v 18-4 and 152%. Watching the Bombers of 2000 they never looked like not winning the flag from the moment they opened the season with wins of 93/43/36/47/24/63/40/64…. so they were flag favourites from basically the opening minute of the season until the final siren of the Grand Final, and not once did it ever look like they weren’t going to win the flag.

Geelong probably attained flag favouritism around mid-season, and were not looking like Premiers as late as the final siren of the PF.

So Bombers 2000 pretty easily over Cats 2007 for single season dominance, albeit Cats of 2007 were a great side.

Indeed.

I would hate to admit this, west coast 1991 side could of went undefeated too.
No chance FreoM.

Imature side that got ahead of themselves and drank their own bath water. West Coast are the number 1 club for doing this. When it came to the crunch Hawthorn was like a Professional Fighter and West Coast like a backyard brawler.

No comparison.

Who else can really compare to that team? Losing a single game all season and destroying teams left right and centre is just unheard of. Geelong 2008 had their chance, but they got beaten when it truly mattered. They can't be compared to the great Dons in that respect because there's no flag. It's a results orientated business where nothing else matters but delivering the end product. Balls and nerves of steel and a championship mindset to reign supreme after suffering such heartbreak the year before at the hands of The Koutifides inspired Navy Blues. The word was they all sat down together at dinner ( eating a meal, a succulent chinese meal? ) after the Grand Final of 1999 and vowed to ensure that they take out the cup in 2000. And they fulfilled on that promised to one another and ran through every one in their wake leaving behind a path of destruction and damaged goods capturing The Premiership Cup.

Essendon 2000 is the greatest team to play the game. 16 Teams in the comp, the past teams just had way less teams to compare.

Who could you make comparisons with for arguments sake that they could match it with or topple The Dons? IMO you can't. But why not debate as we all love a good yarn.

Pies 2011 were the closest to dethroning them imo.
Pies had dons covered in most statical areas iirc but couldn't beat a bunny team in Geelong.
So given that Essendon get the chocolates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ruck situation crippled that side as it was non competitive and like playing 1 short.

Buckley
Swan
Burns
Didak
Medhurst
Davis
Thomas
Maxwell
O'Brien
O'Bree
Lockyer
Cloke
Rocca
Clement
Pendlebury Junior
Wakelin

I actually think on names and quality of career per player the 2007 squad is the strongest Pies squad I can ever remember.

Unfortunately, half the squad were in the twilight of their career and the other half too early in theirs to impact as they would go on to. Unfortunate

For an individual season yes, but would love to see them up against geelong 07 from the Richmond demolition game to the grand final.
Not saying geelong were better, but it would have been a cracking match.

Won his final club. B&f as a hbf, cbf looking up but may have even made that as team (on the pine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kouta doesn't do his knee and Blues win the 2000 flag. They had no answer to him (see last q 99')

We could have if Kouta didn’t go down.

People are selling our 2000 side short. We had guys like Campo, McKay, Whitnall, Ratts, Kouta, Hickmott and Hamill having career best seasons. We also still had the veterans in Bradley and Silvagni playing at a very high level. It was a much superior side to 99.

We had managed to marry the experienced guys from 95 side with a batch of good younger players. It all exploded 2 years later, but that’s a story for another time.

We didn’t have the depth of Essendon, I’ll grant that, the r20 game when we lost Bradley and Kouta in the first quarter but still led close to 3 quarter time was a real what if moment.

Losing Allan round 15-16 or so was a big blow too (even though he did come back) but he never seemed the same after then and unfortunately had constant injuries the rest of his career.

To be fair you do have to give it to that 2000 Bombers side i think. Carlton in 1995 lost two games and Essendon in 2000 only lost the one game.

Geelong in 2008 came close but they didn't finish the job on grand final day.

It probably will be twenty years without a finals win this year for the Bombers, so we may as well leave them dine out on this one.;)

Last edited:
there are plenty of teams that have dynasty type periods.

But as far as a single season goes, there is not another team that compares to Essendon 2000. Not only did they only lose 1 game for an entire season. Their winning margin was an avg of 51 points for an entire season. That is absurd.

it is irrefutable that it's the best single season ever.

Oh I know, I just think it’s amusing how you’re being so coy.

Essendon played 1 good season 20+ years ago, won a single flag with “the greatest team ever”.

It's a thread about a singular season, not multiple seasons. No one in here is proclaiming that Essendon is some type of dynasty for one season.

24/25 wins with an Avg winning margin of 51 points. Nothing near it has ever been done and thus the 2000 team, is the greatest team of all time.

Jesus.

Trust you to be in here melting about anything positive for Essendon ya sook lol

It's a thread about a singular season, not multiple seasons. No one in here is proclaiming that Essendon is some type of dynasty for one season.

24/25 wins with an Avg winning margin of 51 points. Nothing near it has ever been done and thus the 2000 team, is the greatest team of all time.

Jesus.

Trust you to be in here melting about anything positive for Essendon ya sook lol
Spot on re what the Dons have achieved.

No one else has come close. And no Geelong 2008 doesn't count. Because they didn't do the most important thing and the only thing that matters. Win the Premiership.

Jesus.

Yes, it is I that is melting. 😂

Back