Best and worst grand finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 was the worst because it was over after 6 minutes, the Swans were lifeless and pathetic, all the other GF drubbings were still alive at quarter time if only just

But yeah it was perfect football by the Cats, plenty of N Smith candidates

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
2007 grand final was just as bad, you could tell Port had given up in the first few minutes. 2007 and 2022 winners were great sides but the losing sides barely tried.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

2007 grand final was just as bad, you could tell Port had given up in the first few minutes. 2007 and 2022 winners were great sides but the losing sides barely tried.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think you're right, Port were my second team before that day but I've hated them ever since, they still haven't recovered.

I have never said Podsiadly was the worst player to play AFL or that he didn’t deserve his premiership.

STPer18 said the 2011 grand final was ruined by the commentators focussing on Andrew Krakouers story instead of Podsiadly’s. He said Podsiadly was more deserving than Krakouer. He went on to say that Podsiadly would have had the last laugh on a ‘jailbird loser’ like Krakouer.

I just asked STPer18 why was Podsiadly more deserving? That’s it. I didn’t ‘sink the boots’ into anyone.
In my opinion... Both J pod and Krakouer would have fairytale endings if they got a premiership medal.

J pod was a mature ager at 28 years old. If he was this good, he should of been drafted at least 4 or 5 years before he was originally drafted.

Krakouer had his struggles. He spent time in Jail didnt he?

2013 was dead boring. My least favourite Hawks flag by a mile. Very few if any big moments.

Faves are 1989, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2010.

Ross Lyon is dead boring. It's his trademark.
When all is said and done, he'll be called a 'master tactician' who ultimately delivered nothing, and bored the masses with his monotonic cliches.

Ross Lyon is dead boring. It's his trademark.
When all is said and done, he'll be called a 'master tactician' who ultimately delivered nothing, and bored the masses with his monotonic cliches.

The best thing about 2013 was cashed up sandgropers having a big party over here. Shame they had to lose. They would have ‘gon off’ if they’d won

Tom Mitchell 2 grand final efforts are a bit underrated- he must have the highest grand final tackling average of players who have played more than 1. 13 in both and made a huge impact.

Let’s be clear not the best ever but a couple of very solid ones.

Of the ones I was at 1989 was the best. 1984 almost as good.

One sided games can actually show the purest skills. The second quarter on 1988 was utter brilliance in a downpour of Biblical intensity. One touch footy with a bar of soap, one side lost tge ability to play because of the conditions and the other did not. I saw most of it but I was sitting behind Darren Pritchards sister and her umbrella kept getting in the way. Bloody Tasmanians!

I'm told 1970 was better. Have to hate Carlton, but Jezza and Hopkins were untouchable and our mighty were felled in the midst of battle. Very sad to read in the "old newspaper" thread that Brent Croswell admitted he was on PEDs for that game.

Worst? That depends on your POV even more than best. One sided can be beautiful as our Geelong 07 and Hawthorn 88 friends can attest: even Essendon 2000 was a showcase of skills you could teach kids with.

I found both GFs in 2020 ugly AF. Malthouse was a very defensive coach but the majority of blame is on Lyon for his hideous game plan. I enjoyed moments and the result but I wouldn't show that replay to advertise our game.

A lot of it was ping pong between halfbacks as double teamed forwards were repeatedly swamped.

I think only the last quarter of the draw was real footy, the rest was humanity struggling against its own self destructive impulses. Even 09 was a better looking game.

By the same token 92 was ugly. Great outcome for the Eagles, superb coaching but Malthouse sides were never the best footy, there was always a healthy dose of "win ugly" 94 was better, I think his rectum unclenched a little.

Still fresh but 2023 was pretty, aside from the Pies butchering their shots on goal in the 3rd. Great coaching, superb forward play and some decent defence too but even with recency bias and my black and white goggle on I can see its not the best.

The best and the worst happened 2 years running, 1989 and 1990 respectively. I attended both, the contrast could not have been more stark.

Think you're right, Port were my second team before that day but I've hated them ever since, they still haven't recovered.

We haven't make a grand final since but we've certainly recovered since moving to AO. Club is in a much better financial position and gets 40k every game to home games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best and the worst happened 2 years running, 1989 and 1990 respectively. I attended both, the contrast could not have been more stark.
1990 was hardly the worst, but it was certainly no 1989
Collingwood of 1990 was also no Hawthorn of 1988-1989, but they won the premiership in emphatic style and after their draw with West Coast, won all their finals easily.

Collingwood of 1990 was a solid team of solid players. Every single one played at least 100 games. Compare that with my Geelong teams of the 90s, where the top players were wonderful, but the talent fell away quickly.

There are far worse Grand Finals than 1990, and most Grand Finals don't stack up against 1989.

1990 was hardly the worst, but it was certainly no 1989
Collingwood of 1990 was also no Hawthorn of 1988-1989, but they won the premiership in emphatic style and after their draw with West Coast, won all their finals easily.

Collingwood of 1990 was a solid team of solid players. Every single one played at least 100 games. Compare that with my Geelong teams of the 90s, where the top players were wonderful, but the talent fell away quickly.

There are far worse Grand Finals than 1990, and most Grand Finals don't stack up against 1989.
I went to that game, still unquestionably one of the worst, and lowest standard games, of any kind, I've ever seen. Just terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back