Best prelim finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe this is so far down the page.

I still think this was the biggest game of football outside of a grand final ever. The build up was just so huge. The personalities - Sheedy and Elliott at the forefront. The rivalry (the 'most premierships' thing mattered a lot at the time). The massive underdog vs what is arguably the best team ever.

And then the match itself absolutely delivered everything, right up to the dying seconds.
Personally, I preferred Ess' 130 point win in 1984 against Pies. But, '93 Ess vs Crows to come back from 42 points down with Timmy Watson kicker the sealer was pretty good.

1974 North v Hawthorn MCG. Wet, low scoring game; NM 8.8.56 - Haw 7.9.51
( can't find any vision of this game )

1976 North v Carlton VFL Park.
Carlton multiple chances in the last q, just couldn't find the next goal;
NM 10.7.67 - Carl 9.12.66
( some highlights on the you-tube )

All the big stars from all 3 clubs playing in these games.

They had to play the siren twice didn't they?

Incredible game. Hopefully we can see more Cats v Hawks finals in the future.

Still the best rivalry of modern footy.

They did. The players were still playing it was that loud. Interesting what would have happened if it was a tie at the time. Don't think you'll see a rivalry like Hawks vs Geelong, or a streak of so many game of the years for a long time.

No love for 2020 Port vs Richmond on here? The game was neck and neck the entire time!
A 46-40 scoreline even with shorter quarters never belongs in a list of best games. Just like last night was a close contest but wasn't a great game

1974 North v Hawthorn MCG. Wet, low scoring game; NM 8.8.56 - Haw 7.9.51
( can't find any vision of this game )

1976 North v Carlton VFL Park.
Carlton multiple chances in the last q, just couldn't find the next goal;
NM 10.7.67 - Carl 9.12.66
( some highlights on the you-tube )

All the big stars from all 3 clubs playing in these games.

I went to that game - low scoring game - but i will put my house on 2 things which happened in that game

Hawthorn flew out of the boxes - and i reckon they had 4 goals ( to nothing ) on the board by the 10 minute mark of the 1st qtr - i can remember when they got their 4th goal - and i looked at David Dench ( because i was down the Punt Rd end ) - he wasnt pannicking

And Doug Wade ( same end ) and i reckon Wadey might have had a long sleeve jumper on at this stage - given the rain - number 2 from memory - he took a mark about 1 metre from the left hand point post - and unlike where they run around and snap today - he just very deliberately tried to thread the needle - and he nearly did - he hit the post

A 46-40 scoreline even with shorter quarters never belongs in a list of best games. Just like last night was a close contest but wasn't a great game
46-40 with shorter quarters and constant rain.

They did. The players were still playing it was that loud. Interesting what would have happened if it was a tie at the time. Don't think you'll see a rivalry like Hawks vs Geelong, or a streak of so many game of the years for a long time.
Didn't help that the sound wasn't working in the Southern Stand all night. Barely heard the siren all night

I guess there's no general rule but to me a great prelim isn't really about a top quality 4 quarters of football or a team showing why they are the best at some point, it's about pure stress. The uncertainty that creeps into everyone in the stadium and those moments the crowd start to forget their nervousness and just yell. So of the ones I've attended yeah it's easily 2013, best I've watched was 99. if teams are out there playing sexy footy, the pressure isn't what it should be.

Last 20 years

2016 Giants v Dogs
2004 Port v Saints
2013 Hawks v Cats
2011 Pies v Hawks
2012 Hawks v Crows
2007 Cats v Pies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020 aka lightening premiership or covid cup. Plenty of Ansett cup matches were just as enthralling as that game
You're thinking of Collingwood's semi final

The Port v St Kilda prelim in 2004 was an all time classic, just a shame we lost.

At least the G Train kicked a ton but all the people running on the ground for it killed our momentum.
The Port v St Kilda prelim in 2004 was an all time classic, just a shame we lost.

At least the G Train kicked a ton but but the umpires killed our momentum.
Both incorrect. Roger James killed your momentum. Unbelievable first qtr against the St Kilda tide.

I can't believe this is so far down the page.

I still think this was the biggest game of football outside of a grand final ever. The build up was just so huge. The personalities - Sheedy and Elliott at the forefront. The rivalry (the 'most premierships' thing mattered a lot at the time). The massive underdog vs what is arguably the best team ever.

And then the match itself absolutely delivered everything, right up to the dying seconds.

That’s a bit of hindsight bias re the buildup. Big rivals yeah but the game wasn’t expected to be anything magical or enormous. It was expected to be a thumping - Essendon were cruising having won 14 of the past 15, and beat Carlton by 76 points in Round 16.

Carlton finished 6th with only 12 wins in a strange season. They lost their first final by 70 points. The weird old Final 8 system meant they survived, and the even weirder “MCG rule” meant they played their away semi against West Coast… at the MCG! Back to back travelling for the Eagles.

It was a pretty bizarre set of circumstances that saw a 12-win Carlton even there on prelim day.

All the buildup was the pending collision of the Essendon juggernaut with the best side of the past few years, North… after they’d played an absolute classic 158-132 game in Round 17.

Part of the reason 99 is such a classic game I think is precisely because there was so little buildup for a prelim between two big clubs… nobody on earth gave Carlton a shot. They won, which made it an all-timer.

The game itself was incredibly tense and a heart stopper.

Best Essendon one for me is probably the 93 prelim.

I’d say the best I’ve seen was 2013. I was there as a neutral and agree with what was said above, the noise was otherworldly. Never heard anything like it.

No one mentioning 1987? Dees had snuck into the finals by the skin of their teeth on the last day of the season jumping from 7th to 5th.

Lead Hawks all day who finished with 5 more wins than them. Enter Buckenara, Jim Synes and the most famous 15m penalty of all time.
Agreed, bizarre no one had mentioned what is hands-down the best prelim ever played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back