Best Back 6 All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

McKay was a better HBF than Doc, that is, Andrew McKay. A lot more consistent back there.
Probably dims a little with time because he was just such low fuss type. A simply brilliant HBF.

If Doc didn't buckle a couple of knees on the back of an AA year it may be an argument.

Eagles best backline
FB: Hurn McIntosh McGovern
HB: McKenna Jakovich Worsfold

McIntosh was an absolute stud as a full back criminally underatred

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I remember watching a game where Carey was towelling up Jackovich. They put McIntosh on him at quarter time and Carey didn’t get a kick

Geoff Southby, Stephen Silvagni, John James
Andrew McKay, Swan McKay, Bruce Doull

/
How Wayne Harmes does not get a gig astounds me

Met Leigh Mathews one night in 1990 at one of Daic's pubs. He told me that when he played against Carlton he hated having to rest in the pocket on Harmes. Rated him big time.

And no Ken Hunter? Absolute a-grader!!!!

Fremantle is an interesting one who would you pick?

McPharlin is a lock quite evenly spread after that.
Grover Parker Kickett Ryan O Reilly Hayden Johnson some names I can think of as contenders.

How Wayne Harmes does not get a gig astounds me

Met Leigh Mathews one night in 1990 at one of Daic's pubs. He told me that when he played against Carlton he hated having to rest in the pocket on Harmes. Rated him big time.

And no Ken Hunter? Absolute a-grader!!!!
The perils of depth.

Who misses out? The brownlow winning 3 time best and fairest, the 4 time AA, 6 time state 250 gamer? The dual prem, dual B&F, arguable GOAT fullback?

A flash from the past.
Ian Bremner was extremely ... shall I say ... robust and resilient.

While Bowden J was, shall I say ... heavy set, robust and resilient.

Fancy John Senior liking those types ;)

The other players, good stuff.

Is Chris Mew stiff at CHB?
What about K. Moore at FB?

Tough decisions.
Bremner had a dodgy knee and once told Kennedy he couldn’t change direction when running, to which Kennedy replied that he only wanted Bremner to run in straight lines. Yep, that’s the kind of defender Kanga liked. But you’re right, Mew and Moore could easily be in the back 6. Just can’t go past the sheer brilliance of Knights and the athleticism of Langford.

Hudson. good grief.

Franklin Brereton Matthews
Dunstall Hudson Rioli
Just end the thread now. That line up will probably beat the best 6 defenders of all time for all sides. How about cheating a bit and including Gary Ablett instead of Rioli as a "hawthorn" player, and its hard pressed to find a combined alternate forward line that's better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne would be interesting

I know of Glendenning Martin Archer Pickett all being a chance.
David Dench a lock at FB
Glendinning undebatable at CHB.
Archer and Martyn.

The team of the century had Rantall and Jarrard as the half backs, but I didn't see them play so don't really know.

Been very fortunate at the Eagles that we’ve had a collection of outstanding defenders across 3 eras.

3 great genuine full backs - Brennan, McIntosh, Glass - and the underrated Eric MacKenzie - not sure Barrass is in that company.
Jakovich’s best footy at CHB was the best I’ve seen - absolutely rampaging match winner coming off a genuine CHB position - unreal. Shame he did his knee in his prime.
I don’t think anyone has played the modern interceptor role better than Jeremy McGovern.
Then a slew of incredible small to medium defenders - McKenna, Worsfold, Matera (from 96, gets overlooked but he was a pioneer for that run and gun HB role that became so key in the game), Hart, Waterman, Hurn, Waters, Wirrpanda, Sheppard.

Enough reminiscing.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but Carlton’s mid 90s backline was just awesome too. Underrated really. SOS was the champ obviously but guys like Michael Sexton, Peter Dean, Andy McKay (dead set champion, never gets his dues), Ang Christou and Mil Hanna - fantastic lineup.

Just end the thread now. That line up will probably beat the best 6 defenders of all time for all sides. How about cheating a bit and including Gary Ablett instead of Rioli as a "hawthorn" player, and its hard pressed to find a combined alternate forward line that's better.
Nah we will keep him
We have D Wade G Ablett T Hawkins S Johnson J Cameron P Chapman to fill a few spots.

Wirra, Glass, Worsfold
Waters, Jakovich, Hurn

Think 5 of them are licks, Toss up between many for that Beau Waters spot

I'd pick McIntosh over Glass.

Wirra, McIntosh, ?1
McKenna, Jakovich, ?2

?1 and ?2 Would depend on matchups and style.

Jako could both shutdown and play off - which is why he's superior to McGovern.

I'd lean to

Wirra, McIntosh, Hurn/Gov
McKenna, Jakovich, Worsfold.

That half back line stacks up against any in the history of the game.

Not sure this one could QUITE beat it at the other end but could give it a run:

Ablett Sr, Hawkins, Cameron
S Johnson, Wade, Ablett Jr

Fremantle is an interesting one who would you pick?

McPharlin is a lock quite evenly spread after that.
Grover Parker Kickett Ryan O Reilly Hayden Johnson some names I can think of as contenders.
Freo actually had a pretty decent backline a few years ago.

Ryan Hamling Wilson
Logue Pearce Crozier

gl

Wirra, McIntosh, ?1
McKenna, Jakovich, ?2

I'd lean to

Glass has to get a run, if it wasnt for scarlett being around could be 5-6 all australian.

Wirra, McIntosh, ?1
McKenna, Jakovich, ?2

I'd lean to

For me it is:

Wirrpanda Glass Hurn
McKenna Jakovich McGovern

Tough to omit ones like Worsfold and McIntosh who I feel probably didn't achieve the highs as long as the others (and I rated Glass' defensive abilities a bit higher than them, a genuine contender for an AFL top 10 full back of all time), and I feel like you cannot leave out Hurn (kicking, rebound ability, sheer longevity and consistency) and Gov (GOAT intercept marker and a player who at his peak opposing teams had to plan around), even if the 92/94 backline is the stuff of legends as JackOutback hinted.

Waters, Hart and Brennan extremely stiff too but I am very reluctant to leave out possibly our two best ever defenders in McKenna and Jakovich. Wirrpanda is criminally underrated imo, his run and carry and positioning was second to none, always seemed to have the time and space to execute a rebound 50 well.

This is a difficult exercise but it demonstrates West Coast have been relatively blessed with defenders that are in contention for Hall of Fames and GOAT lists. If only our all time best forward line could match what we had down back...

gl

Glass has to get a run, if it wasnt for scarlett being around could be 5-6 all australian.
Indeed - could say the same for mcintosh and silvagni though

Mcintosh faced much tougher competition than glass

In fact he succeeded during the absolute golden era of full forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back