Best and worst grand finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on, it lit a fire in the group and they came home like a house on fire in the '09 and '11 grand finals.
Not sure if Geelong were really universally known for their last quarter comebacks. Cats were up by 7 points in the 2011 GF at 3 Qtr time in any case.

Fairly sure Collingwood’s 4th Qtr comebacks in 2022-23 will be unsurpassed in addition to their ridiculous ability to win so many close games. They won 11 of 15 games when down at 3 Qtr time between round 12 2022 and round 20 2023.

Ironically the only two games Pies botched when leading at 3 Qtr time in 2022/2023 were against Geelong! Round 3 and the QF. Although Pies won in round 1 this year after being down at 3 Qtr time.

Again, looking at the score there's been a lot of worse grand finals. It's the second half that did the historical damage.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Trust me mate, there wasn't a single person hanging out for the 2nd quarter. It was done after 12 scoring shots to 4 in the first. Port weren't anywhere near it.

The fact it got worse from there just makes it more s**t.

Can't believe you're defending it.

Trust me mate, there wasn't a single person hanging out for the 2nd quarter. It was done after 12 scoring shots to 4 in the first. Port weren't anywhere near it.

The fact it got worse from there just makes it more s**t.

Can't believe you're defending it.
I'm not defending... ok I am defending it in the way that Geelong played exceptionally, start to finish, and didn't take the foot off the throat like other grand finals. But what I am doing here is saying, to half time, there has been worse contests than 2007 in the last 20 years.

Hawthorn were always winning the 2008 grand final, all Geelong cared about was winning the grand final for themselves and meaningless home and away games its no surprise they were flogged in the grand final

YEp. Hawthorn entered that finals series in better form than Geelong. Geelong had injuries, and a sense of complacency. The Prelim against the Bulldogs was not plain sailing.

Chapman and Stokes were both injured, and too many players had bad days. Gary Ablett never gave up, but Clarkson out-coached Thompson that day on top of all that.

Some things just aren't meant to be. It was also 15 years ago, and some Cats supporters need to move on.

YEp. Hawthorn entered that finals series in better form than Geelong. Geelong had injuries, and a sense of complacency. The Prelim against the Bulldogs was not plain sailing.

Chapman and Stokes were both injured, and too many players had bad days. Gary Ablett never gave up, but Clarkson out-coached Thompson that day on top of all that.

Some things just aren't meant to be. It was also 15 years ago, and some Cats supporters need to move on.

I don’t think hawks players went that well in execution, but they exploited their superior run all day.

Stuart dews 5-10 minutes aside, he just didn’t Clanger at all

Only downside of 2011 were the commentators not shutting up about jailbird Krakouer and willing his redemption story into existence. Thankfully he finished the day as a loser and a far more deserving story of persistence in Podsiadly had the final laugh.
Surely you can switch to the radio stations on the DVD?

The 2022 grand final was the worst of all time.

Even Geelong supporters found it boring.
It is the worst viewing GF for 16 clubs, worst day in footy for 1.
But for us, far from boring. Have watched it few times more than once.

Same could easily go for 2019, 2007 and so on.

Only downside of 2011 were the commentators not shutting up about jailbird Krakouer and willing his redemption story into existence. Thankfully he finished the day as a loser and a far more deserving story of persistence in Podsiadly had the final laugh.

Podsiadly?? Why was he ‘far more deserving’? He kicked a point and only played half the game after getting injured.

Geez you can be a nasty bit of work sometimes.

It is the worst viewing GF for 16 clubs, worst day in footy for 1.
But for us, far from boring. Have watched it few times more than once.

Same could easily go for 2019, 2007 and so on.
2022 was the worst because it was over after 6 minutes, the Swans were lifeless and pathetic, all the other GF drubbings were still alive at quarter time if only just

But yeah it was perfect football by the Cats, plenty of N Smith candidates

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Podsiadly?? Why was he ‘far more deserving’? He kicked a point and only played half the game after getting injured.

Amazingly poor comprehension.

efdf70e9b65383460fc857080da86fa3

Amazingly poor comprehension.

efdf70e9b65383460fc857080da86fa3

I comprehend plenty. You think Podsiadly was far more deserving of a flag than Krakouer simply because the latter had been in trouble with the law. A jailbird you called him.

Just as well nobody at Geelong has ever been up before the courts isn’t it?

I comprehend plenty. You think Podsiadly was far more deserving of a flag than Krakouer simply because the latter had been in trouble with the law. A jailbird you called him.

Just as well nobody at Geelong has ever been up before the courts isn’t it?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're deliberately making arguments up to put on your high and mighty act rather than doubling down on your comprehension gaffe.

P.S. Sorry Mrs Krakouer that your boy lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1992 because it heralded the coming of the AFL and the first loss of a Vic team to an Interstatee.
Cracking game by the winners also.
Was gonna say I love 92.

4 goals down as well just before half time then Matera set sail for home.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're deliberately making arguments up to put on your high and mighty act rather than doubling down on your comprehension gaffe.

P.S. Sorry Mrs Krakouer that your boy lost.

Ok, please tell me this gaffe you speak of. Why was Podsiadly more deserving?

go ask the cats fans view such as Whiskers and The 747 , JackFlash and Gavin Excell .

Pods was a late Bloomer. was a mature Aged rookie at 28 years old. Yeah he played a poor game in that 2011 AFL grand final. But 169 goals from 83 games from Geelong shows he is far from the worst player to play AFL.

Sinking the Boots on J pod for getting his cats premiership medal in 2009 is like sinking the boots on Marlion Pickett for getting a premiership medal for the tigers in 2019.

Marlion Pickett was a mature ager too at 28 as well.

go ask the cats fans view such as Whiskers and The 747 , JackFlash and Gavin Excell .

Pods was a late Bloomer. was a mature Aged rookie at 28 years old. Yeah he played a poor game in that 2011 AFL grand final. But 169 goals from 83 games from Geelong shows he is far from the worst player to play AFL.

Sinking the Boots on J pod for getting his cats premiership medal in 2009 is like sinking the boots on Marlion Pickett for getting a premiership medal for the tigers in 2019.

Marlion Pickett was a mature ager too at 28 as well.

I have never said Podsiadly was the worst player to play AFL or that he didn’t deserve his premiership.

STPer18 said the 2011 grand final was ruined by the commentators focussing on Andrew Krakouers story instead of Podsiadly’s. He said Podsiadly was more deserving than Krakouer. He went on to say that Podsiadly would have had the last laugh on a ‘jailbird loser’ like Krakouer.

I just asked STPer18 why was Podsiadly more deserving? That’s it. I didn’t ‘sink the boots’ into anyone.

Best: 1989: Had everything. Superstars at their Peak, the drama and bravery of it.

Worst: 2007. Dank and Robinson's juiced up cats ran like superhumans and smashed a pathetic Port by a record 120 points.

Last edited:
I have never said Podsiadly was the worst player to play AFL or that he didn’t deserve his premiership.

STPer18 said the 2011 grand final was ruined by the commentators focussing on Andrew Krakouers story instead of Podsiadly’s. He said Podsiadly was more deserving than Krakouer. He went on to say that Podsiadly would have had the last laugh on a ‘jailbird loser’ like Krakouer.

I just asked STPer18 why was Podsiadly more deserving? That’s it. I didn’t ‘sink the boots’ into anyone.
I know it's Collingwood and they get all the media attention, but I thought the worst thing about the intense media focus on the Krakouer story meant Tom Lonergans amazing story of winning a medallion after nearly dying with the lung injury just fell into the shadows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back