Best and worst grand finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Many are forgetting here that the 2023 GF actually had the highest combined score at HT since 1989. 120 points were scored.

The score was much lower in the second half but there is no doubt that the 30C day had a big impact on the second half. It turned into a tussle and 4 of the 7 second half goals were scored in the final 5:30 of the game.

I think as time passes, 2023 will rise above most, if not all the GFs in the AFL era. The quality of goals scored from both teams were of the highest order too.
First half was very good, second half was predictably disappointing, a total mess and it went too conservative.

Watching it live I never felt like we were in control despite leading for most of the game.

It is easy in hindsight to say that we had control though. A bit like Melbourne's recent flag, which based on the scoreboard looks like an easy win but doesn't really capture the flow of the game.
Western Bulldogs led the match a number of times, though, even deep into the third quarter, whereas Geelong only led at the very beginning of the 1989 GF.

Many are forgetting here that the 2023 GF actually had the highest combined score at HT since 1989. 120 points were scored.

The score was much lower in the second half but there is no doubt that the 30C day had a big impact on the second half. It turned into a tussle and 4 of the 7 second half goals were scored in the final 5:30 of the game.

I think as time passes, 2023 will rise above most, if not all the GFs in the AFL era. The quality of goals scored from both teams were of the highest order too.

It was quite a subdued second half (for good reason). Despite the tussle it never really became that tense war of attrition where chaos reigned and bodies flew around everywhere (like the final quarters of the 09 and '10 GF's).

That first half was absolutely sublime though.

2014 the greatest grand final in the AFL era and maybe footy history in general.

The defending premier going in as the underdogs (media and opposition fans did not want to see Hawthorn win against "Buddy's Swans"). Leading to the greatest upset in VFA/VFL/AFL history

Hawthorn stripped the fairytale script from pillar to post from the opening bounce.

Roughie showing who the boss is
Cyril doing delicious things
Will Langford's goal on the run (his second out of 3) being one of the greatest grand final goals of all time.
Sydney's best players on the day being former Hawks.

Andy D and Gilligans sour faces at the post game celebrations the icing on a big cake. A certain bald players tears at the 2008 grand final post match celebrations a close second!
You beat an interstate side that had been below its best in recent weeks

when geelong plays interstate sides in grand finals in the modern era we have an average winning margin of 100 points. Your 63 point margin pales in comparison.

when geelong plays interstate sides in grand finals in the modern era we have an average winning margin of 100 points. Your 63 point margin pales in comparison.
How does Geelong tend to go against Hawthorn in grand finals?

They tend to lose.

We can surely agree that interstate sides have basically been easy beats in grand finals since the Lions great era though.
I think Sydney have been pretty good in grand finals since then. Sure, 2014 was bad, but otherwise I think they have been superb.

Edit: I guess 2022 wasn't great either, but 2005, 2006, 2012, 2016 all really solid.

You mean the one grand final which you bradburied cos we didnt kick straight and you guys played the man. Thats not a flag i would bring up if I was a hawthorn supporter.
Is that the only GF we have played against each other? Just how old are you?

Just asking for burnout…..oh look that actually happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean the one grand final which you bradburied cos we didnt kick straight and you guys played the man. Thats not a flag i would bring up if I was a hawthorn supporter.
Oh yes the one Geelong ‘lost’
Truth is cats lost to at selection and were chasing tail all day. Not sure that sits with hawks playing the man, they’d have to slow down to do that

Last edited:
Lol, I would bring it up constantly!! Incredible win by the Hawks and biggest choke in history by the Cats.

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh yes the one Geelong ‘lost’
Truth is cats lost to at selection and were chasing tail all day. Not sure that sits with hawks playing the man, they’d have to slow down to do that
Hawthorn were always winning the 2008 grand final, all Geelong cared about was winning the grand final for themselves and meaningless home and away games its no surprise they were flogged in the grand final

Only downside of 2011 were the commentators not shutting up about jailbird Krakouer and willing his redemption story into existence. Thankfully he finished the day as a loser and a far more deserving story of persistence in Podsiadly had the final laugh.
I hope you don't celebrate the two premierships Milburn won

2014 the greatest grand final in the AFL era and maybe footy history in general.

The defending premier going in as the underdogs (media and opposition fans did not want to see Hawthorn win against "Buddy's Swans"). Leading to the greatest upset in VFA/VFL/AFL history

Hawthorn stripped the fairytale script from pillar to post from the opening bounce.

Roughie showing who the boss is
Cyril doing delicious things
Will Langford's goal on the run (his second out of 3) being one of the greatest grand final goals of all time.
Sydney's best players on the day being former Hawks.

Andy D and Gilligans sour faces at the post game celebrations the icing on a big cake. A certain bald players tears at the 2008 grand final post match celebrations a close second!
One sided GFs are not great GFs

Everything else you said is mostly correct though

Taking out the Richmond Grand Finals for obvious reasons, the best that I watched is one of 2012 Hawthorn vs Sydney and 2018 West Coast vs Collingwood. The worst was 2015 Hawthorn vs West Coast.

Unlike others, I don't mind a thrashing in a GF. Especially if it is unexpected like the 2022 Geelong vs Sydney, 2014 Sydney vs Hawthorn, and 2021 Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs.

What I can't stand is when I expect one of the GF teams (that I don't hate) to flop in the GF and they do exactly that. That's what happened in the 2015 GF, which is why I find it the worst Grand Final between 2004-2023. Just a waste of every non-Hawthorn supporter's time.

One sided GFs are not great GFs

Everything else you said is mostly correct though

They are when the footy is A+++ at its best. Hawthorn stopped Sydney from executing their game plan, while executing their own attacking game plan with grand style.

Lol, I would bring it up constantly!! Incredible win by the Hawks and biggest choke in history by the Cats.

Much like 2012 for Hawthorn, it drove the success of the next 3 years (2 more flags for Cats, 3 for Hawks) and the Cats bounced back to win a much tougher flag the next year. 2009 they would have fallen away if they'd won the '08 flag in a walkover like the previous season. They wouldn't have had the drive to overcome a hungry St Kilda that season, anyway.

Only 17 points down at 3/4 time in 2008 gf

Fell even further behind. After that Cats became known for last quarter turnarounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back