Best prelim finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight's game was good but the 2011 prelim was an epic. Buddy goal, then Ball lights up the Magpie army in a tense game on a Friday night.
If the Hawks win then Buddy's goal enters the discussion for best goal ever. The level of skill involved, in view of that goal's potential significance would've been hard to top.

In terms of best prelim, I'm going to say the 2013 game, of course.

The Hawks v Crows prelim in 2012 was a ripper too, the underdog Crows were robbed right in front of me by the umpires in that game.

Justice was served though when the Swans beat the Hawks in another classic close one in the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many to choose from. Truly blessed.

For me:

And a bunch of great ones. We seem to have an annual Prelim thriller.

The Hawks v Crows prelim in 2012 was a ripper too, the underdog Crows were robbed right in front of me by the umpires in that game.

Justice was served though when the Swans beat the Hawks in another classic close one in the GF.

The crows are always robbed by umpires when they lose a close game. didnt you know

Its annoying when people conflate close with good.

Yes, a very close game is always thrilling but that doesn't automatically mean it was awesome.

I didn't think last night's game was particularly good. Close, but a fairly average game amongst finals, but yes I get the premise of the thread is just whatever game Collingwood won is a contender.

99 prelim Carlton v Essendon

Or you could say Kouta v Essendon

/end thread

I can't believe this is so far down the page.

I still think this was the biggest game of football outside of a grand final ever. The build up was just so huge. The personalities - Sheedy and Elliott at the forefront. The rivalry (the 'most premierships' thing mattered a lot at the time). The massive underdog vs what is arguably the best team ever.

And then the match itself absolutely delivered everything, right up to the dying seconds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back