Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Adelaide, Carlton, Brisbane, and GWS are the 4 obvious choices IMO, but who are the other contenders? You can make a case for quite a few teams.

• Geelong still have some of the best key forwards. They are ageing, but they’re resilient.
  • Fremantle, Sydney, Western Bulldogs, and Port Adelaide have a talented group of young forwards. Could see them solidify themselves this year.

Even though the 2023 season was a poor offensive year for Richmond, I still think we could have among the best forward lines should Lynch play a full season. Lynch, Dusty, and Bolton are strong offensive weapons. We also have Cumberland, who is a natural goalkicker that exceeded expectations in the 2022 season. Should he return back to his 2022 form, then I think we’ll see a big improvement.

Crows consistently kicked above 100 posts last season & no reason why we won't continue to be one of the most offensive sides even with the loss of McAdam.

This season - 4 sides well ahead of the rest... & no reason why all 4 won't continue to be amongst the highest scoring as have plenty of firepower. Pies added Schultz for Ginnivan.

Crows 2193, 95.3 ave
Lions 2180, 94.8
Port 2149, 93.4
Pies 2142, 93.1

Next group were Cats, Dees, Swans & GWS.

Blues outside of these teams probably largely due to inaccuracy & reliance on Curnow.

You have Carlton top 4?
They have 2 good talls, but top 4 forward line is a stretch, they were about 7th or 8th last year for points scored,they would need to get a lot better.
I was debating on whether to put them there, but I ultimately chose them because of a couple of factors. The first is that they have two Hollands brothers. I suspect they both will improve this year. The second is their second half of the season. McKay wasn’t the best, but Curnow and the other forwards did pretty well.

But, I’m open to hearing other people’s view on how they rate Carlton’s forward line.

Crows consistently kicked above 100 posts last season & no reason why we won't continue to be one of the most offensive sides even with the loss of McAdam.

This season - 4 sides well ahead of the rest... & no reason why all 4 won't continue to be amongst the highest scoring as have plenty of firepower. Pies added Schultz for Ginnivan.

Crows 2193, 95.3 ave
Lions 2180, 94.8
Port 2149, 93.4
Pies 2142, 93.1

Next group were Cats, Dees, Swans & GWS.

Blues outside of these teams probably largely due to inaccuracy & reliance on Curnow.
Not surprising that Adelaide is the most potent. They also had the highest inside 50 efficiency in 2023 at 53.7%. Like you, I don’t see how this will slow down in 2024 unless Taylor Walker completely drops off. Even then, I think they’ll be fine without him.

The top 6 in inside 50 efficiency for the 2023 season were:

1. Adelaide
2. Port Adelaide
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Brisbane
6. Richmond

As a side note, this is why I think Richmond’s forward line is underrated. Even without Lynch for most of the season, we were still in the top 6 for inside 50 efficiency, dropping from 1st in 2022.

Re our forward line, it depends on if Martin and Orazio can stay fit. If that happens and we get natural improvement from Durdin, Hollands and Motlop we could have the best. Maybe Moir will have a Stephenson level first year and we go nuts idk... As it stands I'd say we have maybe the 5th-6th. Geelong still the best in it imo followed by Brisbane and Pies.

Re our forward line, it depends on if Martin and Orazio can stay fit. If that happens and we get natural improvement from Durdin, Hollands and Motlop we could have the best. Maybe Moir will have a Stephenson level first year and we go nuts idk... As it stands I'd say we have maybe the 5th-6th. Geelong still the best in it imo followed by Brisbane and Pies.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

We managed to get half a season out of the eternally injured Caleb Marchbank last season and we also stopped sucking ass after 20 years in the wilderness... Brian Cook is working miracles down at Ikon Park, add Oraziiiiiiooooo to that list next season and we'll erect a statue for the kent

Geelong's midfield was bottom 4 level almost all season and they still scored 2088 points, more than 5 of the finalists in H&A. 2146 points the year before that.

Miers, Close, Stengle and O.Henry all chipped in with 2+ goals/assists a game to add to good output from Cameron, Hawkins and Rohan (when he played).

Brisbane are the only other side to be so prolific over both of the past two seasons. Dangerous talls and smalls, a good spread of weapons.

Adelaide have a great forward line now.

Those would be the top 3 in no particular order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been told that Ginni and Chol intend on playing footy like it's 2022 again. So put them down for 85 goals combined.

Mitch Lewis will win the Coleman if he plays more than 14 games.

Gunston and Bruest have 70 between them with their eyes closed.

Dylan Moore an easy 25 while averaging 20 touches a game again.

The Wizard to go close to All Australian in his first season.

Going to be nice watching us the pump the ball inside 50 for the first time since Roughead played.

The actual answer is 'I dunno, will do a proper deep dive later'.

Brisbane, Adelaide are the obvious top two for me. Port and GWS have strong forward lines as well. Sydney are the smokie for me, I really like their balance now.

Brisbane then daylight.

The dogs have some plenty of talent and upside in their forward line too. Weightman, Juh, Naughton, Lobb gives them some serious potency.

Adelaide kicked above 100 points in 8 games last season.

4 of those were against top 8 sides, 3 of them against bottom 2 sides.

Only twice did you do it in consecutive games, when you did it 3 times in a row between rounds 3 and 5.

It was a potent forward line at times through 2023 but I'd hardly call that consistently.

Carlton easy.

Last 3 coleman medallists.

Fantasia a lock for 40 snags.

Owies dangerous.

Jack Martin bordering on elite.

Motlop one of the best crumbers in the business.

Etc etc.

Just give us the flag already.

I was debating on whether to put them there, but I ultimately chose them because of a couple of factors. The first is that they have two Hollands brothers. I suspect they both will improve this year. The second is their second half of the season. McKay wasn’t the best, but Curnow and the other forwards did pretty well.

But, I’m open to hearing other people’s view on how they rate Carlton’s forward line.
The Hollands brothers? Ollie is a winger and Elijah has been struggling at VFL level, never mind the top level. Their third best forward is Fantasia for 3 games a year, then Jack Martin I guess. Middling forward line at best.

Honestly it's still Geelong and by a long way

Key talls: Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins
Mediums: Oliver Henry, Gary Rohan
Smalls: Brad Close, Tyson Stengle, Gryan Miers, Shaun Mannagh

S tier: Geelong
A tier: Brisbane, Collingwood, Adelaide, GWS
B tier: Carlton, Sydney, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Richmond
C tier: Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Essendon
D tier: Melbourne, North Melbourne, Fremantle
F tier: West Coast

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad