Best place to coach from? Boundary line or coaches box?

Best place to coach from during a game?

• Boundary line

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Recent years have seen more coaches opt for coaching from down on the boundary line during games, rather than from up in the coaches box.
Ken Hinkley is the best example of this having switched to coaching from the boundary line last year, after coaching from the coaches box for 10 years prior to that.

Personally I think it's best for coaches to coach from the coaches box so they have a full view of the ground.
Chris Scott has always coached from the box and he's arguably the best coach in the league.

Where do you think is the best place to coach from during a game?
Boundary line or coaches box?

It depends on the coach. I imagine a relationship focused coach prefers to be on the bench, one that is more a tactician is better from the box.

There is no answer to the question you're asking.

It depends on the coach. I imagine a relationship focused coach prefers to be on the bench, one that is more a tactician is better from the box.

There is no answer to the question you're asking.
Do you think Beveridge would be more or less suited to coaching from the boundary line?

No problem going to the boundary line for a limited time, but there is no way you can get a full perspective of what's going on due to the size of an AFL ground. If you want to be in full control of the coaching then stay in the coaches box!

Do you think Beveridge would be more or less suited to coaching from the boundary line?
Impossible to know, I immediately rate him more a relationship style coach than a tactician but he won a flag from the box.

Coaches box imo, boundary can work though you see McRae down there a lot.
less tactical coaches like the boundary & leave it at up to the assistants.

Also depends on how much they trust their number 2 tactically.
Pretty much this, the senior assistant can be your tactician, but they probably can't be your relationship style coach.

Obviously the coaches box is far better but many coaches have said they feel like they are more in the game when they are on the boundary. I guess they want to soak up the atmosphere just like a fan does.

It also helps them from an optics perspective for them because they appear closer to the players and look like they are coaching them even if they aren't.

It’s not either / or.

All teams have both.

What varies is:
(1) How each coaching panel divides up their labour and …
(2) Which camera the broadcaster calls up for ‘coach-cam’. They need to ensure it points at the bloke who gets paid danger money for being a club figurehead.

Different coaches will do things differently, and the support group will make a big difference.
In some cases, if the coach is a motivator and with a younger team being on the boundary might make more sense. In person, direct feedback. And at that stage of development its not always about getting a tactical view or the senior coach may be comfortable with advice from the assistants and so on.
Where the main guy needs to be the centre of tactical decisions, the box is presumable better for most. Especially if there is a solid block of on-field leadership group in a more mature side. But even then some might get a better feel for the pace and intensity being groundside, which is presumably going to feed into all-important rotations.

Back