Best pre game and game day coaching you have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Ron Barassi saves NM’s season by moving Dench & Sutton to the forward line in the last quarter of the drawn ‘77 grand final after NM were goalless in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
Keeps the players fresh by not overtraining them and NM win the replay.

Was it 2006?

Travelled to Melbourne to watch the Bowden brothers play kick to kick keepings off. Think we were undefeated til that game & Craig was clearly outcoached by Wallace. Craig refused to have a plan B.
In terms of chess piece moves during a game. Do you recall a game against geelong 2003/4 ish I think it was down at the cattery and ayres moved ricciuto to FF in the last qtr and he won the game off his boot in the last ten minutes??

Always stood out for me that one

In terms of chess piece moves during a game. Do you recall a game against geelong 2003/4 ish I think it was down at the cattery and ayres moved ricciuto to FF in the last qtr and he won the game off his boot in the last ten minutes??

Always stood out for me that one
Was one of the very rare occasions we won at the Cattery... as have mostly forgettable games there.

Was this the game Ayres gave the finger to a member of the Cats after the game who had been giving him heaps during the game?

Terry Wallace vs Bombers 2000 - Flooding tactics
Worsfold vs Swans in 2005 when Hunter went forward. Did it again the next season. Won them a premiership

He just unleashed McLeod.

Crows were lucky that Pagan used Sholl v Hart for Pagan's paddock & not Carey.
North just got overrun. Had played something like 12 in a row at night and with an old list in the sun just got overrun in the second half. Couldn’t keep up with Adelaide.

Cats dominating second term of 2020 GF, 21 point lead in a shortened game, all looks lost....

Hardwick: "have they got a nude out the back? Is Stewart playing nude out the back Leppa? Move George onto him tell him to just pressure and corral the campaigner. Doesn't even have to tackle him, just keep him boxed in."

Stewart goes out of the game and with that so do Geelong. In the 3rd term Jason "George" Castagna calmly slots a dipping, mal-spinning set shot punt from outside 50 that bamboozles 5 Geelong defenders on the goal line and goes through at chest height, drawing the Tigers to within a kick of the crumbling Cats. Stewart was one of the hapless 5 Cats defenders on that goal line. George had ****ed his s**t up completely, he could no longer think straight. Stewart commits a team high 6 turnovers and has only 1 score involvement.

Absolute master stroke by Dimma to send the chaos boss to guard the space around the normally well organised Stewart. :)

Last edited:
Jason Dunstall taking the playing group to the shade at 3 QTR time against Brisbane. Absolute genius move!!!
It’s amazing something quite obvious that it was 1 player who has the intelligence to suggest it.

1997 pf as well

Modra goes off injured early. Jarman and smart move forward and McLeod goes to the middle for the first time for the year. Turned the game in the second half.

Modra wasn't just injured. It was an ACL, it was bad bad bad. It was amazing he came back later in 1998, thought he'd miss the whole season.

Thank goodness we had others to cover for his loss. Jarman was amazing, the meat in the sandwich mark was incredible and then late he cooly slotted a set shot and Adelaide survived after Chris Grant's fumble that was rushed through by Tyson Edwards.

Was one of the very rare occasions we won at the Cattery... as have mostly forgettable games there.

Was this the game Ayres gave the finger to a member of the Cats after the game who had been giving him heaps during the game?

Was the index finger I believe. Pretty epic game. Also Geelong wasteful in front of goal but there were better days ahead for the team. Adelaide won again in 2003 at Geelong and have not won there since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyon 2010. Lost their star recruit before the season started then Riewoldt suffered an horrendous injury.

Got StKilda into a GF with a half fit Riewoldt then lost Gardener the best ruck on the ground.

How he drew that against the odds and was stiff not to win.

Leigh Matthews telling Akermanis via the runner to get in front of Lynch for the crumb and not behind him.

Nek minnut Akermanis crumbs a ball in front of Lynch and kicks the goal that sealed Brisbane's 2002 flag.

A shame Fox don't do that Lips of Lethal style coaches box comments of the GF like they did back then, it's never been done before or since.

I think Lethal only allowed Fox to release his coaches box comments of that GF as it makes him look a coaching genius with the Aker move.

How about Malcolm Blight saying Aker couldn't kick on his right foot!!!

Slightly OT as I didn’t see the game, but Wally Clark deserves a mention. He coached Fitzroy in 1 senior game in 1963. The great (player) Kevin Murray was playing coach but missed that game (state game I think). Fitzroy didn’t win a single game under Murray’s coaching in 1963 and 1964. But Wally Clark beat eventual premier Geelong in that 1 game. He did everything Murray didn’t do- namely give stirring speeches before and during the game and allowed friends and family into the rooms to fire up the players. He also played a close-checking game with special emphasis on nullifying Polly Farmer. Won that game but never coached again. Murray resumed with his dour, unimaginative coaching style and Fitzroy didn’t win again until 1965 after Murray was no longer coach.

Dimma in the 2017 Grand Final. 50-50 game at quarter time with Sloane being BOG by a mile. The first and only time I can remember Dimma sending a tagger to the oppo. Jack Graham nullifies Sloane, we smash them out of the middle and Graham kicks 3 goals on Sloane.

Still annoys me that the Tigers don't tag. You get it right and stuffs up the oppos game plan.

Terry Wallace playing keepy off against a rampant Adelaide in 2006 worked so I guess it counts.
Great fun to be at the ground. Get in front on the scoreboard, Bowdens playing kick to kick in the backline just wasting time. When Adelaide finally stopped guarding space and decided to pressure them Joel just stood on the goalline for as long as possible and then walked it over for a point. Rinse and repeat.

Woosha throwing Hunter forward.

Sadly, that was his only gameday move.

Are we talking about the 2006 AFL grand final?

Because there were a couple of key moves that got the eagles over the line.

One was the Daniel Chick smother which lead to an eagles goal.

another late season move was Quentin Lynched got tackled. had he not connected the ball with his boot, holding the ball with an open 50 metre arc despite the ball in the centre square.

Andrew Embleys heroics in the final quarter. I still remember him taking a mark in the back pocket late in the game.

Are we talking about the 2006 AFL grand final?

Because there were a couple of key moves that got the eagles over the line.

One was the Daniel Chick smother which lead to an eagles goal.

another late season move was Quentin Lynched got tackled. had he not connected the ball with his boot, holding the ball with an open 50 metre arc despite the ball in the centre square.

Andrew Embleys heroics in the final quarter. I still remember him taking a mark in the back pocket late in the game.
That wasn't woosha's coaching though was it?

Really random one, and I don't know exactly what he did, but Clarkson during a game against St.Kilda at the MCG in 2011.

Saints kicked the first 5. Stephen Gilham did his ACL in the first quarter, meaning debutabt Luke Breust was playing a full game instead of managed time.

Clarko came down and coached the rest of the game on the bench. Hawthorn kicked the next 5 and won the game easily by about 6 goals. Something he was saying or doing on the bench made HEAPS of difference.

Sticks in my mind because I was there live and I don't get to a lot of games.
I was renting in East Melbourne at the time and wandered up to watch the game. Was supposed to meet a mate but he got the time wrong and turned up with 5 minutes left in the first with Gilham being stretchered off and us five goals down and me already a few in having given up hope. Turned out to be a cracking afternoon!

Few good games that year, was nice being able to stagger home. The Freo game where Buddy and Rough missed and Cyril played FF and kicked 7 I think to 3/4 time?

I was renting in East Melbourne at the time and wandered up to watch the game. Was supposed to meet a mate but he got the time wrong and turned up with 5 minutes left in the first with Gilham being stretchered off and us five goals down and me already a few in having given up hope. Turned out to be a cracking afternoon!

Few good games that year, was nice being able to stagger home. The Freo game where Buddy and Rough missed and Cyril played FF and kicked 7 I think to 3/4 time?

I was also at the Freo game. We kicked 8 goals in the last quarter from memory. Wearing the camouflage Hawk gear.

Grand Birchall mopped up everything in the final quarter and started a bunch of score chains and earnt the 3 Brownlow votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back