Top 10 coaches in the history of the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Love OP slipping Fly in there, quality. If he wins 4 straight as I have predicted it will be deserved:drunk:.

All time its Mchale. Collingwood became so hated in his era they named the BOG Grand Final medal after the runner up, the great Norm Smith: in fact generally the league has snubbed Mchale, and it took severe politicking by McGuire to get the premiership coach medal named after Jock but it's a sop, McHale is the best coach ever by so far Smith isn't even in the frame.

McHale won 66% of his games, won 8 flags, and coached more finals (58) than most coaches coach matches. He developed champions, and got quality out of the champions he was given. Smith is similar over a shorter span, the opposition lived in fear of his awesome sides and they nearly won 6 straight.

Both Smith and Mchale built dominant machines whose reign spanned decades, its unlikely anyone will match them.

Barrassi is a tremendous winner, multiple flags at multiple clubs, and rebuilt several from the ground up. Collingwood's greatest enemy but I admire his drive, imagination and character. Probably the best in my lifetime (late 60's onwards) but his very best was rebuilding Carlton and North, albeit aided by shonky recruiting methods.

There are effective coaches who win when you give them the tools (eg Matthews, Malthouse, Yabby Jeans, Kevin Sheedy) and they are rightly lauded: you put quality in, you get results out.

I think we under rate the madmen who pull off wins with mid tier lists like Blight, Dimma and Pagan. Clarckson is a bit of both, very good coach who builds up lists into great sides and they deliver, but very unlikeable.

I'd say Chris Scott is in the same boat as Clarckson, really excellent coach whose side gets accused to salary cap rorting because they keep presenting. I think he's just an uncharismatic man who is a really excellent coach, the Dunstall of coaches if you like. A quick glance show he has the best winning percentage of any 300+ game coach, even better than McHale. Thats an amazing stat and Geelongs incessant finals appearances with an elderly list, as well as snagging gutsy flags are a tribute to the coach. let me be clear, I don't like him, but his status is undeniable.

When did 'your time' start exactly? That would have been good to know.

I don't think anyone can be considered a top 10 coach of all time after 2 seasons at the helm, regardless of what they have achieved. There simply isn't enough of a sample size to make such outlandish claims. McCrae could have a poor couple of seasons this year and next. This one certainly hasn't started well. Way way too premature to proclaiming him in the greatest in history discussions.

When did 'your time' start exactly? That would have been good to know.

I don't think anyone can be considered a top 10 coach of all time after 2 seasons at the helm, regardless of what they have achieved. There simply isn't enough of a sample size to make such outlandish claims. McCrae could have a poor couple of seasons this year and next. This one certainly hasn't started well. Way way too premature to proclaiming him in the greatest in history discussions.

100 Games should be the benchmark

H&A Winning Percentage - Chris Scott is the GOAT
Flags... He is a little behind but another two and he enters the conversation. But I would question is he a master coach or should he be on 4-5 flags already given the list he has controlled. Whilst in many of the years Geelong weren't the best side, weight of numbers of top 4 appearances between 2012-2021 should have yielded 2 flags.

Clarkson and Hardwick likley to add more as they bring the Roos and suns into contention.

It’ll cement their standing as true supercoaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back