News LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

The 36-year-old informed his teammates on Monday that his decorated career is over.

The news comes after he injured his calf in Saturday night's win over Essendon.

Franklin confirmed the news with an Instagram post alongside a photo of Alastair Clarkson and John Longmire, his two AFL coaches.

"What a journey. Thanks to everyone who has been on this crazy ride with me," he wrote.

Courtesy: ALF.com.au

Buddy achieved everything……well almost.
He sadly never got to witness Essendon winning a final.
He did play a big part in preventing that from happening

Farewell Buddy, it's been amazing. I was angry and bitter when you left the Hawks after winning two flags with us, but I got over myself.
To me, this piece of play encapsulates what was great about him, great about the Hawks in this era, and part of what's great about our game. I was there that day, it was absolutely ELECTRIC.

That was such a “just Farkn give up Pies” moment. Was there with Pie mate. He stood and clapped and then said “* this”

Really? How about kicking for goal, the most important one, for starters?

An 80s Franklin wouldn't be running down the wing constantly because he wouldn't be on a modern day fitness program and he certainly wouldn't have the same diet. Then there's the fact that he wouldn't have access to modern-day technology all clubs take for granted, which is massive. That's the thing people forget when picking players from different eras - they have to adapt to the circumstances of that era. And by 80s Buddy, does one mean he instantly time-travels to that era as is, or a Buddy that was born 20-30 years earlier?

Buddy in the 1980s Hawthorn side probably plays CHF or wing. His size and mobility would be hard to beat in any era.

I can handle them fine.

But it is well known around these parts that you are a troll. And a rubbish one at that.

Jog on you peanut.
Was thin
As a Hawthorn supporter, I'm annoyed the AFL hasn't scheduled Sydney against us at the MCG since 2018. There should have been 1 this year that could have been a celebration
Was thinking about that earlier and seeing it’s looking like no fairwell of any type the 2 clubs should get together and regardless of where it’s played send him off together next year. Regardless if it’s at the MCG or SCG both supporter groups should get their arse there and send him off like he deserves. Love or Loathe Goodes still one of the saddest exits the game has seen as he trudged of that shithole at Homebush and then said that’s it. Send this Legend off with the admiration he has well and truly earned.

Sorry but he was good enough. Bud beat Gibson and Lake in a contest just before this.

Couldn’t get past Hodge though. I think I almost started crying tears of joy with the Hodge kiss

Great players

I am talking marriage. If Buddy and Hodge got married people would look at Hodge and tell him that he managed to bat above his average :)

Had Buddy played in the 1980's I genuinely think he would have kicked more goals than Plugger. You give Buddy the space those forwards of yesteryear got he would have ripped oppositions apart considerably more than he already did. He may not have been the best contested mark on the planet but Buddy was excellent one on one.

If he played in the 80s he would have been getting knees dug into him in the ruck.

I hope whatever coach he would have had would not have been dumb enough to play Buddy in the ruck as that would have been a huge waste of his talents.

At FF against the likes of Scott Turner, Mick Martyn and Ronnie McEwen with the 1:1 style of football and the open forward lines there is no way in the wide world that Buddy wouldn’t have kicked 200 goals a season.

It would have been carnage.

Really? How about kicking for goal, the most important one, for starters?

An 80s Franklin wouldn't be running down the wing constantly because he wouldn't be on a modern day fitness program and he certainly wouldn't have the same diet. Then there's the fact that he wouldn't have access to modern-day technology all clubs take for granted, which is massive. That's the thing people forget when picking players from different eras - they have to adapt to the circumstances of that era. And by 80s Buddy, does one mean he instantly time-travels to that era as is, or a Buddy that was born 20-30 years earlier?
Buddy did it in an era of zonal defending, flooding and 2nd/3rd man up, way more difficult to kick bags of goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy played in the era where it's been the hardest for forwards to kick big bags of goals... by FAR. He played against the best defences in AFL/VFL history.

He's the greatest forward in AFL/VFL history, period.

You always have to compare players with other players of their own era.

Lockett, for as amazing as he was, was not that much better than Dunstall, or Ablett Snr in terms of goal kicking. Buddy though, he kicked 30% more goals than any other player in his era. Locket did not do that.

Freak of a player and along with Gary jr is the best of the last 20 years clearly.

Always reminded me of those videos you see of that big kid in under 11' and 12's that is just too big, quick and strong that it's unfair on everyone else that he plays at that level. Had all the attributes of a quality goal sneak but was 6 ft 6 not 5 ft 6.

One of the all time great forwards who is rightly up there with the likes of Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett etc. To kick over a 1000 goals in this era is insane.

Seeing Buddy play in his first season you could just tell he was going to be something special.

Thanks for all of the entertainment and memories.

Freak of a player and along with Gary jr is the best of the last 20 years clearly.

Always reminded me of those videos you see of that big kid in under 11' and 12's that is just too big, quick and strong that it's unfair on everyone else that he plays at that level. Had all the attributes of a quality goal sneak but was 6 ft 6 not 5 ft 6.

Best of all time*.

When will people realise the standard of footy has gone up massively and it's way harder to dominate now compared to the past? Footy has only been elite and professional for a relatively short amount of time compared to other sports.

Best of all time*.

When will people realise the standard of footy has gone up massively and it's way harder to dominate now compared to the past? Footy has only been elite and professional for a relatively short amount of time compared to other sports.

Yep. Even as late as the late 90's coaches didn't really focus on the bottom 25% of the best 22. It allowed the best players to look even better as the bottom players were not given the training they are these days.

Best of all time*.

It's why I prefer to rate players on era rather than all time. It's unfair to compare them for varies reason. The players of yesteryear weren't given the same advantages the players of today have.

It's why I prefer to rate players on era rather than all time. It's unfair to compare them for varies reason. The players of yesteryear weren't given the same advantages the players of today have.

One thing we can all agree on, tall forwards of yesteryear had it MUCH MUCH easier than modern tall forwards... Which means modern tall forwards achievements must take that into account.

Bigfooty sometimes creaks under the strain and gets hard to access during big finals. Tonight, it did the same.

That speaks volumes about the man and how important he is to the game.

Congratulations Lance on your career!

Franklin absolutely tore us a new one many times. He'll definitely be elevated to Legend status in the Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back