News LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

The 36-year-old informed his teammates on Monday that his decorated career is over.

The news comes after he injured his calf in Saturday night's win over Essendon.

Franklin confirmed the news with an Instagram post alongside a photo of Alastair Clarkson and John Longmire, his two AFL coaches.

"What a journey. Thanks to everyone who has been on this crazy ride with me," he wrote.

Courtesy: ALF.com.au

Nothing wrong with Ablett snr's genetics, christ only knows what he would of done with the modern training and access the modern player has now. Scary the thought of it. He could also mark above his head, and there is nothing Buddy could do that Ablett couldn't do on either side of his body.

I don't see any point trying top put down players from previous eras, Buddy played AFL, the others Played Aussie rules. Two different sports. They are all guns playing the sport of their era.

Don’t think he would’ve put the effort into the training. He’s not a team player either. Would put coaches off. He still would also be too short for the FF position. It’s not like he was born in the 1920s or something where height difference would be a factor. Doesn’t compare to Buddy who would dominate any time period.

Yeah, I accept that. Ablett was something of a freak who would have been a success in 2023.

But equally, plenty are prepared to downplay Franklin's achievements because he didn't kick as many goals as the others. Put any of those ton a year full forwards into 2023 and even with today's methods they are not putting up the numbers they were 30-35 years ago. So it is only fair to compare in the reverse if people want to keep trotting out the ignorant "the older we get, the better we were" trope.

So point taken about comparing eras. However, if you compare players against their contemporaries who played similar roles then it is factually correct to say that Franklin is so far ahead of the next best forward of the 21st century that there is no credible discussion. The same cannot be said for Lockett if he is the benchmark of that era.

On that basis I will argue that people who are hard and fast that Lockett was better, or Ablett was better, or Dunstall was better are absolutely dismissing just how great Franklin was.

He'd be a giant in any era.
By that metric, you have

Tier 1 Buddy and Coventry
Tier 2 Ablett Snr, Dunstall and Lockett

Yeah, I accept that. Ablett was something of a freak who would have been a success in 2023.

But equally, plenty are prepared to downplay Franklin's achievements because he didn't kick as many goals as the others. Put any of those ton a year full forwards into 2023 and even with today's methods they are not putting up the numbers they were 30-35 years ago. So it is only fair to compare in the reverse if people want to keep trotting out the ignorant "the older we get, the better we were" trope.

So point taken about comparing eras. However, if you compare players against their contemporaries who played similar roles then it is factually correct to say that Franklin is so far ahead of the next best forward of the 21st century that there is no credible discussion. The same cannot be said for Lockett if he is the benchmark of that era.

On that basis I will argue that people who are hard and fast that Lockett was better, or Ablett was better, or Dunstall was better are absolutely dismissing just how great Franklin was.

He'd be a giant in any era.

Agree, but I think the others would be giants now also.

Don’t think he would’ve put the effort into the training. He’s not a team player either. Would put coaches off. He still would also be too short for the FF position. It’s not like he was born in the 1920s or something where height difference would be a factor. Doesn’t compare to Buddy who would dominate any time period.

If he was raised in this era he would of complied and played to the rules of this era. He would of played Centre in todays game and been the best player in the game.

If he was raised in this era he would of complied and played to the rules of this era. He would of played Centre in todays game and been the best player in the game.

Yeah $1M+ a year plus endorsements would have motivated him far more than the semi-professional sums he was receiving for most of his career. Still had a job for the majority didn't he?

You mean CHF? Yeah, but then his goal tally would be in the high 600s low 700s and would have no Colemans. So I don’t think his standing in the game would be seen as high as it is now. It’s N Riewoldt Pavlich tier.

Last edited:
How many do you think Buddy kicks with an open 50 being stood by treacle slow Mick Martyn? Or the joker that was Scott Turner? Silvagni may, just may be able to go with Franklin at times but he'd have to be having a very good day.

I get that players have to adapt to the style of their era, the tech and the training methods but when you look at Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, etc well Buddy was simply bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled. Some of that can be put down to the above but not enough for the aforementioned legends to bridge the gap in genetics.
I doubt he was faster, and definitely less skilled than Ablett snr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By and large this is a gold thread. Wonderful tributes from posters of every team in the Comp. It is a pleasure to read.

It is a rare thing in a team game where the deeds of an individual are so celebrated. Ironic really as Buddy was a very team oriented person.

For me as an ancient Bloods bloke the number 23 having been worn by Ron Clegg and Franklin now has the same iconic status as the 14 worn by Skilton and Paul Kelly.

Talk about whether he was the greatest of all time is always going to be fraught with era comparison issues.

But Buddy was the greatest player of this century so far, and it will take a lot to get near him.

Lots of amazing players who are in the just behind group, but Judd, Ablett, Dusty, Fyfe etc. are all behind him in the sheer individual brilliance stakes.

Jumped on at page 10 just to thank Buddy for the memories.
Sadly it was no surprise to see that instead of being a tribute to Buddy, it has become a Dusty and Ablett discussion.

Please let a thread not be soiled with Dusty, Ablett, Richmond and Geelong back and forth.

Oh and thanks Bud for the memories.
You were enjoyable to watch and a reason alone to buy a ticket to a game.

A great of the game! He excelled in era of at times unwatchable, defensive tactics. Frankly, him and Ablett were pretty much the only two to rise above it all. It must be said, he was at his most potent between 2007-2017, when teams were still averaging 100 or more points per game though. Surprisingly, the scoring rates between 1994-1999 wasn't that much different to the 00s/early 10s. The West Coast team of 1994 took the defensive game to a new level not yet seen before.

It would take an unbelievable player to get near that record, especially in the ultra defensive game we have become accustomed to between 2017-2023.

Sad he went out with an injury that looked like it was from the Carlton Draft, but at least he was playing good footy the last few weeks. AFL will definitely miss him.

I know Hawks fans will very very much disagree but these days when I see Buddy in a Hawthorn guernsey it just looks odd to me. He looks so natural in the red and white.
As a neutral I'd have to disagree, its the other way round to me.

Largely I think because I mostly saw his Hawthorn domination days, I didn't pay too much attention when he went north. The somewhat leaner Buddy in Brown and Gold sporting the Tasmania badge running berserk is the one I most remember.

Nothing wrong with Ablett snr's genetics, christ only knows what he would of done with the modern training and access the modern player has now. Scary the thought of it. He could also mark above his head, and there is nothing Buddy could do that Ablett couldn't do on either side of his body.

I don't see any point trying top put down players from previous eras, Buddy played AFL, the others Played Aussie rules. Two different sports. They are all guns playing the sport of their era.
With modern training he would have quit before playing a game.

On SEN this morning, Whateley asked the rhetorical question about any other current player in the competition having the same aura in a non-traditional AFL state as Buddy did in NSW.

If course the answer is 'noone'. Well, at least for any rational and balanced supporters.

So it would surprise noone that we had Carlton supporters texting in to nominate Charlie Curnow, and Richmond supporters nominating........ Shai Bolton!

Never change, Carlton and Richmond supporters. Your delusion knows no bounds!

On SEN this morning, Whateley asked the rhetorical question about any other current player in the competition having the same aura in a non-traditional AFL state as Buddy did in NSW.

If course the answer is 'noone'. Well, at least for any rational and balanced supporters.

So it would surprise noone that we had Carlton supporters texting in to nominate Charlie Curnow, and Richmond supporters nominating........ Shai Bolton!

Never change, Carlton and Richmond supporters. Your delusion knows no bounds!
Agree, that Noone bloke is a real goer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back