News LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

LANCE Franklin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, has announced his retirement, effectively immediately.

The 36-year-old informed his teammates on Monday that his decorated career is over.

The news comes after he injured his calf in Saturday night's win over Essendon.

Franklin confirmed the news with an Instagram post alongside a photo of Alastair Clarkson and John Longmire, his two AFL coaches.

"What a journey. Thanks to everyone who has been on this crazy ride with me," he wrote.

Courtesy: ALF.com.au

I just answered his question man. Don’t get so triggered over nothing.

That Martin goal you posted is a ordinary goal you see every week compared to the Buddy one when he is running down the wing. You said that goal is 7/10 when actually, if we were to send a small video clip of a AFL football that would be the one we would send to Space.

That Martin goal you posted is a ordinary goal you see every week compared to the Buddy one when he is running down the wing. You said that goal is 7/10 when actually, if we were to send a small video clip of a AFL football that would be the one we would send to Space.

No you don’t. Find me one like that on a tighter angle, should be easy.

So sad we didn't get to see Cyril for another few years. Also, those white patches on the back of your tops are horrible.
Those of us old enough to remember footy in the 70's have fond memories of the white patches.

f1575.HudsonMark.jpg

As a neutral I'd have to disagree, its the other way round to me.

Largely I think because I mostly saw his Hawthorn domination days, I didn't pay too much attention when he went north. The somewhat leaner Buddy in Brown and Gold sporting the Tasmania badge running berserk is the one I most remember.
This guy?

What a dreamboat! ;)

20200602131200a_1024x576.jpg

Uh, no. Amazing player, one of the best of his time but you are overexaggerating his capabilities. The first thing I'd point out is that he isn't exactly a dead-eye dick for goal as Plugger was; especially in relatively sanitised conditions where stadiums aren't a mud pit essentially.

Defenders had a lot more leeway back then, and plenty of defenders during Buddy's career (who aren't as good as some FBs in the 90s) had his measure. I mean, Alex Silvagni destroyed him one time, the Stephen variety would destroy him. But also, I wouldn't doubt Franklin would kick bags on him either, but overall he's not better than Lockett or Dunstall or Ablett Snr was. If he played in the 1980s, his training, fitness and dietary regime would be a lot different and you wouldn't even be seeing the same Buddy.
There is an argument going the other way - there was no like him back then. He was a giant small forward basically. The comparisons to Plugger etc ignore the fact that this is not what he ever was. And when he came onto the scene we were all saying who and what TF is this guy? Never seen anything like him before.

On pure unique points Buddy can cover a lot of players in the game’s history

Franklin was a legend, 18 seasons is what very few achieve. One of the greatest to ever to play the game. The 13 goals vs North in Launceston, the boundary line run vs Essendon, the crazy game vs Port in R13 2014 where he kicked 5 goals in the 3rd and 4th quarter (after starting 0.4 in front of goal) to single handily lead the Swans to a dramatic 4 point win even though Port were the better side for most that day.

As a Crows fan he destroyed us 3 times in the finals (esp in the 2016 semi) and there is one goal that should have not been allowed in 2017 at the Adelaide oval when he goaled after running too many steps following a fumbled bounce. So he really should have kicked 1065 goals, not 1066 goals. He did miss 742 shots though, many on set shots so he could have been a chance of passing Lockett if he kicked straighter.

Shame about the strained calf, you think he could recover and play in the final game of the season and get his farewell. Unfortunately that won't happen. Despite the heartbreaking end I think he will be proud of what he achieved. Deserved another premiership was on the wrong end a couple of times.

2012 = Played for Hawthorn in a losing Grand Final vs Sydney.
2014 = Played for Sydney in a losing Grand Final vs Hawthorn.

I think this was his best goal.

Franklin was a legend, 18 seasons is what very few achieve. One of the greatest to ever to play the game. The 13 goals vs North in Launceston, the boundary line run vs Essendon, the crazy game vs Port in R13 2014 where he kicked 5 goals in the 3rd and 4th quarter (after starting 0.4 in front of goal) to single handily lead the Swans to a dramatic 4 point win even though Port were the better side for most that day.

As a Crows fan he destroyed us 3 times in the finals (esp in the 2016 semi) and there is one goal that should have not been allowed in 2017 at the Adelaide oval when he goaled after running too many steps following a fumbled bounce. So he really should have kicked 1065 goals, not 1066 goals. He did miss 742 shots though, many on set shots so he could have been a chance of passing Lockett if he kicked straighter.

Shame about the strained calf, you think he could recover and play in the final game of the season and get his farewell. Unfortunately that won't happen. Despite the heartbreaking end I think he will be proud of what he achieved. Deserved another premiership was on the wrong end a couple of times.

2012 = Played for Hawthorn in a losing Grand Final vs Sydney.
2014 = Played for Sydney in a losing Grand Final vs Hawthorn.

I think this was his best goal.

I tend to think that is one of Buddy's best goals. On the surface it isn't, but actually looking at the goal how many other players in the competition could do it? I think the answer is either zero or close to zero.

I tend to think that is one of Buddy's best goals. On the surface it isn't, but actually looking at the goal how many other players in the competition could do it? I think the answer is either zero or close to zero.

The answer is definitely zero. And the only other player I have seen who I would possibly back to do it would be Gary Ablett Sr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d think this has already been posted, but anyway…

Interesting that most of his Essendon and Collingwood domination happened at Hawthorn yet still 10 years later they all still feared him for it

Essendon 50 in 10 at Hawthorn, 29 in 11 at Sydney
Collingwood 54 in 13 at Hawthorn, 21 in 9 at Sydney

Interesting that most of his Essendon and Collingwood domination happened at Hawthorn yet still 10 years later they all still feared him for it

Essendon 50 in 10 at Hawthorn, 29 in 11 at Sydney
Collingwood 54 in 13 at Hawthorn, 21 in 9 at Sydney

Just a guess but I am willing to bet Hawthorn played Essendon twice in a lot of years and Sydney played Essendon twice a lot fewer times.

Just a guess but I am willing to bet Hawthorn played Essendon twice in a lot of years and Sydney played Essendon twice a lot fewer times.
Not really as he played an extra game against them in Sydney. At Hawthorn he would just regularly tear them apart. Kicked 9 twice and and an 8

I think both teams should have a 23 badge or some sort of tribute to him this week, will be a long time until we have another as great.

Has he? First I have heard lol.
Well done to him.
I would have bet both my nads in 2014, there was no ******* way he would get through a 9 year contract with Sydney.
Shows I know nothing, and do not value my balls.
Well done Buddy.

I agree that's a ripping goal, but personally I don't think that was even his best goal that day! The one from 70m out on the other wing was clutch. Splitting hairs though

Nah it was better. The 70m long bomb was a great goal but the goal in question went 55m sideways off one step, not to mention managing to run through a host of Port players to do it.

He didn't win any yearly competition awards other than The Coleman, shows how skewed they are to midfielders.

Amazing isn't it? Arguably the greatest player of his generation and inarguably the greatest forward of the last 25 years. Probably a top 20 player all time and will be inducted as a legend in due course.

Meanwhile the AFL was dolling Brownlows around to the likes of Adam Cooney.

Amazing isn't it? Arguably the greatest player of his generation and inarguably the greatest forward of the last 25 years. Probably a top 20 player all time and will be inducted as a legend in due course.

Meanwhile the AFL was dolling Brownlows around to the likes of Adam Cooney.
Brad hardie says hi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back