Worst coach sacking in VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Mark Harvey being sacked in 2011 was the worst coach sacking for me. Freo made the finals in 2010 and missed that year

Another one was Stan Alves after the 1998 AFL finals series. Saints made a GF in 1997 and played finals in '98.

Also Norm Smith in 1965 is the most famous of them all.

Mark Harvey being sacked in 2011 was the worst coach sacking for me. Freo made the finals in 2010 and missed that year

Another one was Stan Alves after the 1998 AFL finals series. Saints made a GF in 1997 and played finals in '98.

Also Norm Smith in 1965 is the most famous of them all.
Yes ,because mark Harvey went on to achieve such coaching greatness after that .

Ben Rutten by Essendon last year. Seriously, seriously stiff and only sacked because the Essendon board had a delusion that Clarkson would go there.

Not quite a sacking but Tom Hafey at Richmond. Had led the club to four flags but after missing finals in 1976 he quit the club after he found out that Graeme Richmond had voted against him continuing.

Hafey moved to Collingwood and continued to make GFs and the Richmond coaching merry-go-round was set in motion.

Not quite a sacking but Tom Hafey at Richmond. Had led the club to four flags but after missing finals in 1976 he quit the club after he found out that Graeme Richmond had voted against him continuing.

Hafey moved to Collingwood and continued to make GFs and the Richmond coaching merry-go-round was set in motion.
Yeah...

You don't treat someone like Hafey in that way and get away with it.

Deadset legend, that bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett Ratten at Carlton was rough.

Brett Ratten at St Kilda wasn’t much better.

Voss being sacked by the Lions just as he was turning it around because the board were desperate to try and get Paul Roos at the time and he's said on TV "I won't speak to any club that currently has a coach", within the next couple of years the whole board would be gone themselves, Leigh Matthews joined the board not long after.

I thought that the sacking of Guy McKenna at the Gold Coast Suns at the end of the 2014 season was pretty bad. McKenna definitely had the Suns on the right track in their early years even in 2011 and 2012, with the young side improving greatly in 2013 and in 2014, where only a terrible late season run of injuries cost the Suns their first finals series in their fourth season. Yet McKenna was sacked, and little for the Gold Coast Suns has gone right since, the team still yet to make the finals. Am I saying that Guy McKenna would have coached the Suns to a premiership? No, probably not, but he seemed to have the side going forward in its foundation years, and things have gone backwards since.

Alan Joyce is a strange one. 1993 and done to save money. Cant be because he won two premierships and played finals 1993

Then went to bulldogs and was white anted by terry Wallace and mates. All documented in ‘year of the dog’

Ratts at Carlton was tough. He probably was never taking us to the promised land but was a genuine Carlton man who always gave his all.

Replaced by malthouse who only took the job on to spite the pies and then couldn't start pre season on time because he was doing a book sale promotion tour. That was a fairly good indication of his level of commitment to the job.

It was another example of being seduced by an interim coach. Has happened a few times where half decent coaches get a bit of a look for a couple of months., do nothing wrong and get handed the keys full time despite them not being up to it. We did it with Ratts and Teague. Kangas did it with Shaw. Tigers might be about to do it with McQualter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back