The rankings (from best to worst) of the 127 VFL/AFL premiership teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to back in a competition that had a shortened and highly disrupted season and shortened quarters. Questionable whether it was a proper season.

But only achieved because you didn’t face the Pies in the GF. That Richmond team showed under pressure in a final against the Pies they just couldn’t handle it. You can watch the 2019 prelim again to see how that Richmond team melted on big occasion against the Pies.
Agreed, it was a weird season as proven by a weak Geelong side no better than the 2016-2019 editions comfortably making a grand final and even being up at half time. The side was stronger the next year and still lost to Melbourne by 80 points in the prelim.

Although the Tigers feared the Pies in finals since the te netional competition came into being.
Destroyed in the 2018 Prelim, and fortunate to not face the Pies in the 2019 GF, which the Pies probably would have won.

2020 wasn't even AFL.
What are you talking about?

Collingwood lost the prelim to a GWS team missing Toby Greene, Whitfield, Coniglio, and Phil Davis. Tigers then beat that team with those players included by 15 goals.

Thinking the Wobbles would've had any chance at the 2019 flag if they had won the prelim is one of the worst takes I've ever read.

What are you talking about?

Collingwood lost the prelim to a GWS team missing Toby Greene, Whitfield, Coniglio, and Phil Davis. Tigers then beat that team with those players included by 15 goals.

Thinking the Wobbles would've had any chance at the 2019 flag if they had won the prelim is one of the worst takes I've ever read.
Try harder….

It is absolutely clear that how good a Premiership team is needs to be assessed by how good they are in the finals series. Because this is when the title is decided.

Collingwood 2023 is not beating Melbourne 2021 in a Grand Final, or any final, due to having a top 4 berth sewn up at an earlier stage of the season.

And a team that loses a Grand Final or Preliminary Final to another team on merit simply cannot be considered better than the team that beats them in one of those matches.

Collingwood's finals series in 2023 included 2 one kick margins v interstate teams on Collingwood's home ground, and a 7 point margin against a team with no viable key forwards due to injury, and who lost one of their key players to concussion at the start of the game, and who had one of their top 3 players in a total lifestyle malfunction for the whole season.

Collingwood did not prove clear superiority over ANY of 3 finals opponents. To my knowledge amongst Premiers, this is unprecedented.

Oh good, that means the Crows of 1997 and 1998 deserve higher places then.

1997 - won 4 finals games and won flag by defeating the sides 1-3.

1998 - won 3 of 4 finals games (all finals were away from home) and won flag by defeating sides 1-3.

And best defence in AFL and with best % and won by GFs by over 5 goals.

Oh good, that means the Crows of 1997 and 1998 deserve higher places then.

1997 - won 4 finals games and won flag by defeating the sides 1-3.

1998 - won 3 of 4 finals games (all finals were away from home) and won flag by defeating sides 1-3.

And best defence in AFL and with best % and won by GFs by over 5 goals.

Any team that wins multiple flags is a historically good team, and to win so many out of state finals only makes the Crows B2B flags more meritorious.

Was the loss week 1 finals in 1998 that could have seen the Crows eliminated a genuine blemish though?

If Eagles had won in 1990 after all those flights and plane strikes and a draw it would've been ranked pretty highly.

But we didn't

Anyway...

Crows B2B is a weird one. Not expected to win either. Not the best team all year. Just a good patch both September's.

All you need to do really.

Don't know if that ranks them high or low but it was pretty crazy and a lot went right.

Colbert mark
Modra knee (making them less focussed on him)
Libba point/goal
Saints choke
Lose to Dees 1st week, would be elim if finished 5th
LoL North 2.12 in the 2nd qtr 🫣

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Eagles had won in 1990 after all those flights and plane strikes and a draw it would've been ranked pretty highly.

But we didn't

Anyway...

Crows B2B is a weird one. Not expected to win either. Not the best team all year. Just a good patch both September's.

All you need to do really.

Don't know if that ranks them high or low but it was pretty crazy and a lot went right.

Colbert mark
Modra knee (making them less focussed on him)
Libba point/goal
Saints choke
Lose to Dees 1st week, would be elim if finished 5th
LoL North 2.12 in the 2nd qtr 🫣

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone goes on about the Colbert mark but what about the goal Geelong received but Bickley had touched it.
Modra knee was a blow but also Vardy and Roo didn't play.
Libba point/goal - I'd back the goal umpire in, sun was behind him whilst Libba and Co were looking into it
Saints choke - yep, which side hasn't? Us in 2017 etc
Loss to Dees - different system back them and if based on the format used since 2000, we would have played the 8th side at home and won thru to second week
NM 2.12 - have a look at where most of those misses were taken - a lot from 40/50m out on what was a swirly day from memory

Grand Finals are all about taking ones chances and you actually need a lot to go right in September - home finals, few injuries, dry weather etc.

I just hope we win another won before I cark it, LOL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2006 - 2023

Pendles - 31 finals, 2 flags
Richmond - 17 finals, 3 flags

Work smarter, not harder.
Finals heartbreaks make the victories sweeter. I'd prefer my side making finals plenty of times and winning a few (e.g Collingwood 1990-2023 run) rather than mostly absent from finals for 40 years, picking up 3 very quickly and then being in the wilderness for 20 years.

Finals heartbreaks make the victories sweeter. I'd prefer my side making finals plenty of times and winning a few (e.g Collingwood 1990-2023 run) rather than mostly absent from finals for 40 years, picking up 3 very quickly and then being in the wilderness for 20 years.
yes. most people have already forgotten that Richmond had a "dynasty". Including Hardwick it seems. They got a couple of the worst performed opponents in memory in GFs. First time a team pushed back (2018) - house of cards. If we were to rank dynasties, we all know where that one would be.

yes. most people have already forgotten that Richmond had a "dynasty". Including Hardwick it seems. They got a couple of the worst performed opponents in memory in GFs. First time a team pushed back (2018) - house of cards. If we were to rank dynasties, we all know where that one would be.
It was definitely efficient but I think ending it on the weird COVID season and having no finals, EF exit and no finals to follow was a sour note to end on given 16 years of not winning a final preceded it.

Don't get me wrong, all dynasties and flags are great. But theirs was the flash pan version even compared to Brisbane who contended earlier and made a GF + EF the two seasons after.

You are a post-war Collingwood supporter. You are not in any position to rank dynasties.

Richmond have not beaten Collingwood in a final this millennium. It will most likely remain that way.

Collingwood have beaten Richmond in a final once in the last 86 years. Halley's Comet has been and gone twice in that time mate. Which is exactly 1/3rd as many times as Richmond have beaten Collingwood in finals in our lifetimes, so you had your chances, but were just not good enough.

Last 86 years

Finals H2H Collingwood v Richmond, 7 matches

Collingwood 1 v Richmond 6

Premierships

Collingwood 5 v Richmond 9

Grand Final victories

Collingwood 4 v Richmond 9

AFL Era Grand Final victories

Collingwood 2 v Richmond 3

18 team comp Premierships

Collingwood 1 v Richmond 3

If you want to boast about that, maybe boast to St Kilda supporters or something.

Collingwood have beaten Richmond in a final once in the last 86 years. Halley's Comet has been and gone twice in that time mate. Which is exactly 1/3rd as many times as Richmond have beaten Collingwood in finals in our lifetimes, so you had your chances, but were just not good enough.
Last 86 years

Finals H2H Collingwood v Richmond, 7 matches

Collingwood 1 v Richmond 6

Premierships

Collingwood 5 v Richmond 9

Grand Final victories

Collingwood 4 v Richmond 9

AFL Era Grand Final victories

Collingwood 2 v Richmond 3

18 team comp Premierships

Collingwood 1 v Richmond 3

If you want to boast about that, maybe boast to St Kilda supporters or something.

How sad you have to chose 86 years to suit your argument. So incredibly sad. Either choose this millennium which Collingwood leads 1-0, the modern era which we have not played each other or choose all of history.
Do I need to remind you Collingwood beat Richmond 3 Grand Finals in a row. That is hilarious. 3 in a row on our way to 4.

You haven’t even won a flag in the modern era which is post COVID. Yesterdays heroes

Tigers fans are hurting. How long is that Premiership drought? Ours is not even two months.

How sad you have to chose 86 years to suit your argument. So incredibly sad. Either choose this millennium which Collingwood leads 1-0, the modern era which we have not played each other or choose all of history.
Do I need to remind you Collingwood beat Richmond 3 Grand Finals in a row. That is hilarious. 3 in a row on our way to 4.

You haven’t even won a flag in the modern era which is post COVID. Yesterdays heroes

Tigers fans are hurting. How long is that Premiership drought? Ours is not even two months.

Haha, Collingwood win a kudos less umpire sponsored flag and it sends their desperate supporters in search of some crazy way of boasting about it.

You would think a smarter supporter base might go looking somewhere other than trying to troll the supporters of the most recent dynasty team, but not these dingbats. :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back