Essendon 2000
Port Adelaide 2004
Geelong 2007
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013
Melbourne 2021
Geelong 2022
Collingwood 2023

Pretty clear that's your starting point for the best teams this century, and it's a matter of where Collingwood slots into this group.

Teams to win both the minor and major premiership without losing a final:
Essendon 2000
Port Adelaide 2004
Geelong 2007
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013
Melbourne 2021
Geelong 2022
Collingwood 2023

Pretty clear that's your starting point for the best teams this century, and it's a matter of where Collingwood slots into this group.
Geelong 2011 finished with a better win-loss record and average finals winning margin than a few of these teams.

I don't think you should be punished if you go 17-5 or 18-4 if there is another side slightly above that level. That simply indicates at least one really high quality challenger (e.g the '08-'11 era was like this).

A more extreme example of that: A side nobody rates at the very top end is Hawthorn '08. But they still had a 17-5 record and % over 130, then won all of their finals (all against Victorian sides) comfortably including taking down a titan in the GF. That season was as meritorious as Collingwood 2023. There just wasn't a Geelong 2008 this year.

Essendon 2000
Port Adelaide 2004
Geelong 2007
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013
Melbourne 2021
Geelong 2022
Collingwood 2023

That might be your starting point , but it's not mine.

I know 1 thing - the Carlton 1995 easily has the Collingwood 2023 side covered. And there would be no argument from from any neutrals about that

Essendon 2000
Port Adelaide 2004
Geelong 2007
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013
Melbourne 2021
Geelong 2022
Collingwood 2023

Yeah but how many tall Americans did each of those other sides have?

Essendon 2000
Port Adelaide 2004
Geelong 2007
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013
Melbourne 2021
Geelong 2022
Collingwood 2023

I have them ahead of Geelong 2022. And that's about it. That's no slight BTW, there are some crack teams on that list. There are some teams that finished lower and maybe lost a final who I would have ahead of them too. Like the 3 Brisbane flag teams, the other Geelong and Hawthorn premiership sides and Richmond's teams as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My team absolutely sucks and we finished Top 4, beat both grand finalists during the season, and lost by only 7 points to the eventual premier even after one of our starting mids was knocked out in the first few minutes (while missing three of our starting forwards, no less).

IMO the weakest premiership in all of history, sorry Pies fans. Of course, it is still a premiership though, and cause for large celebration and fun.

Collingwood 2023 only really lost to Brisbane at the Gabba and Melbourne QB , and were missing key players for both matches , once we got our squad back in finals we took care of Melbourne and Brisbane , as well as the in form team of the comp. GWS.

Once we beat Port in Round 19 to lock in top 2 we started experimenting with positions / players / resting our squad , so the late season losses to Carl / Haw / Brisbane were pretty meaningless .

My team absolutely sucks and we finished Top 4, beat both grand finalists during the season, and lost by only 7 points to the eventual premier even after one of our starting mids was knocked out in the first few minutes (while missing three of our starting forwards, no less).

IMO the weakest premiership in all of history, sorry Pies fans. Of course, it is still a premiership though, and cause for large celebration and fun.

Surely the Bulldogs paying off the umpires for 25 weeks tops that?

Essendon 2000
Port Adelaide 2004
Geelong 2007
Collingwood 2010
Hawthorn 2013
Melbourne 2021
Geelong 2022
Collingwood 2023

The best teams don't need to rely on the rub of the green to win three finals in a row. That's your starting point.

Collingwood 2023 only really lost to Brisbane at the Gabba and Melbourne QB , and were missing key players for both matches , once we got our squad back in finals we took care of Melbourne and Brisbane , as well as the in form team of the comp. GWS.

Once we beat Port in Round 19 to lock in top 2 we started experimenting with positions / players / resting our squad , so the late season losses to Carl / Haw / Brisbane were pretty meaningless .
"Took care of" by the total aggregate winning margin of 12 points lol

Plus they lost to Carlton , a team specifically targeted by collingwood supporters as genuine shizen throughout the entire year.
They can't have their cake and eat it too .

I'm trying to be generous lol.

I will never forget how blatantly robbed the Giants were...
Reminded me of when the Crows beat Fitzroy in the 90's at football park with Rod Jamison kicking the winner. Didn't think I'd see another game like it with the umpires willing one team over the line... and I hadn't until that Prelim last week.

rub of the green? they painted them in green from head to toe!

Stop it, you're killing me.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back