The rankings (from best to worst) of the 126 VFL-AFL premiership teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me correct things for you fadge.
The only premier in recent memory that lost 3 of their last 5 home and away games.

Beat a very inaccurate Melbourne by 7 pts after taking one of their prime ball users out in the first 10 mins of the game.
Melbourne win the game on predicted score.

Beat the 7th ranked team by 1 point after the umpires put the whistle away and subsequently missed about 5-6 obvious free kicks to the giants.
Giants win the game on predicted score.

Beat a Brisbane team by 4 points, a Brisbane team that has won 1 game on the mcg in their last 5 years or so. A team denied the chance to win the game late by an atrocious umpiring decision… again.

Total lowest aggregate winning margin across their 3 finals games by any premier in living memory.

Cmon fadge, don’t try and rewrite history man.

Just wondering why an inaccurate Melbourne comes into consideration for lowering the ranking but an inaccurate Collingwood in the Grand Final doesn't raise it.

Strange ratings system, 64th best. Richmond 1980 side was better than any other Richmond side I've seen, beat a strong Collingwood side by 80 points. Bartlett, Bourke, Roach, Weightman, Raines, Lee, Wiley, Wood, Jess, Keane, Cloke, Malthouse, Rowlings, Monteath... fair side.
It’s funny how memories blur …I remember as a kid at the time Tigers always flogging us. But I look up 1980 and we actually beat you twice by a small margin. 🤔

81’ we won by 4 and later tigers won by 4 point

79’ we beat you the first game by a little and later on in the season you flogged us by 10 goals ..that must the game that haunts me…Maurice and KB running riot ☝️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have them ahead of Geelong 2022. And that's about it. That's no slight BTW, there are some crack teams on that list. There are some teams that finished lower and maybe lost a final who I would have ahead of them too. Like the 3 Brisbane flag teams, the other Geelong and Hawthorn premiership sides and Richmond's teams as well.
How are they ahead of Geelong 2022? Geelong beat an almost identical Brisbane side by 71 points compared to less than a goal. Dunkley's zero vote-getting performance wasn't worth 11 goals.

Sydney 2022 had a better H&A record than GWS 2023 and then in finals beat Melbourne on the road and Collingwood (who most recognise as playing at least as high a standard in finals last year). Geelong thumped them by a million points. Collingwood this year beat GWS by a goal. Lastly Geelong won an away final vs Collingwood. The Pies won a neutral final vs Melbourne.

Collingwood 2023 only really lost to Brisbane at the Gabba and Melbourne QB , and were missing key players for both matches , once we got our squad back in finals we took care of Melbourne and Brisbane , as well as the in form team of the comp. GWS.

Once we beat Port in Round 19 to lock in top 2 we started experimenting with positions / players / resting our squad , so the late season losses to Carl / Haw / Brisbane were pretty meaningless .
It doesn't matter though. For winning the flag it was smart, as given the close margins, being 5% worse off could've lost a flag. However for rating a sides season the win/loss and % does matter.

The best seasons in the Premier League are all rated on either being undefeated or having the highest points total (e.g win/loss ratio). And to a smaller degree goal difference showed his dominant they were too (equivalent to % - but for Aussie rules that would be broken down into H&A and finals %).

8 wins above 14th. Sounds like a lot but Collingwood in 2011 were 13 wins above 14th. With a ridiculous %. That was closer to being dominant - there just happened to be one other incredible contender that season. There were a bunch of solid but not spectacular challenger's this season.

Since 2000, there's been 4 big dynasties (Lions, Cats, Hawks & Tigers) and one of the GOAT teams (Essendon). Fairly I'd say all of those would be above the rest, no question.

That leaves: Port (04), Swans & Eagles (05/06), Pies (10), Swans (12), Dogs (16), Eagles (18), Melbourne (21), Cats (22) and Pies (23).

My ranking:

1. Pies (10)
= 2. Swans (05)
= 2. Eagles (06)
4. Port (04)
5. Swans (12)
6. Pies (23)
7. Eagles (18)
8. Melbourne (21)
9. Cats (22)
10. Dogs (16)

I am being a little bit cheeky but I do honestly think Brisbane choked a bit here.

Respect to the Pies, they still had to win it, and they did so with Murphy down, and McStay's replacement MIA.
Hill incredible in the first half, Pendlebury and Sidebottom staunch in the last.

But gee-whiz. That was pretty bloody far from Brisbane's best. A few had actual season-worst games when it mattered.
Sometimes a team plays s**t coz they played s**t. Sometimes a team plays s**t because the opposition made them so.

It's up the the astute individual whether it is the former or the latter.

View attachment 1822339

Hmm.. worst premiers of the last 23 years?
Another way of looking at it is percentage during finals. Since 1995, Collingwood has the lowest percentage of any premier at 106%, well below the next worst in Sydney 2005 at 114%. At the top, it goes Geelong 2007 (227%), Melbourne 2021 (213%), Essendon 2000 (201%), Richmond 2019 (199%).

So maybe Dan's ultimate Essendon team aren't as good as he thinks...

Another way of looking at it is percentage during finals. Since 1995, Collingwood has the lowest percentage of any premier at 106%, well below the next worst in Sydney 2005 at 114%. At the top, it goes Geelong 2007 (227%), Melbourne 2021 (213%), Essendon 2000 (201%), Richmond 2019 (199%).

So maybe Dan's ultimate Essendon team aren't as good as he thinks...
Having a hot run during finals shouldn't be the only criteria. I agree it could and probably should be one, and is why I considered Richmond dominant despite good but not great H&A in their flags.

The first criteria though should be H&A: an almagation of finishing position, win/loss and % (3 sub-criteria, score for each).

If you were looking at the last 30 years for example you would rank 1-30 for both H&A and finals. Then rank them by total points (out of a highest possible 60).

Won their 3 finals by a combined margin of 12 points, and made premiership players of Billy Frampton and Mason Cox.

Would have to be mid-low, despite finishing top of the ladder.

Brisbane played a horrible game, but still nearly got over the top of them on the day

Still, I don't reckon they'd care one bit. A flag's a flag

What criteria is used to judge “best” and “worst”?

If you’re referring to most talented and skillful players, this Collingwood team would be lowish.

If you’re referring to quality of coaching, Collingwood team would be highish.

Nobody looking at this Collingwood list over the last two seasons would have had them seriously delivering anything like what they’ve achieved. And yet here we are.

Since 2000, there's been 4 big dynasties (Lions, Cats, Hawks & Tigers) and one of the GOAT teams (Essendon). Fairly I'd say all of those would be above the rest, no question.

That leaves: Port (04), Swans & Eagles (05/06), Pies (10), Swans (12), Dogs (16), Eagles (18), Melbourne (21), Cats (22) and Pies (23).

My ranking:

1. Pies (10)
= 2. Swans (05)
= 2. Eagles (06)
4. Port (04)
5. Swans (12)
6. Pies (23)
7. Eagles (18)
8. Melbourne (21)
9. Cats (22)
10. Dogs (16)
You’re being harsh on the Melbourne of 21 team, they swept all aside and were truly dominant at the end of the season.
I agree you have to put the dynasty teams above everyone else however.

Won their 3 finals by a combined margin of 12 points,

Collingwood prioritize the win over the winning margin.

Sure, they could try to win by more, but when they do that they’re reducing their chance of winning because by trying to score more they’re also giving the opponent a chance to score.

You’ve noticed that Collingwood win a lot of games by small margins? That’s not because Collingwood somehow manage time and again to scrape through in shootouts.

My ranking:

1. Pies (10)
= 2. Swans (05)
= 2. Eagles (06)
4. Port (04)
5. Swans (12)
6. Pies (23)
7. Eagles (18)
8. Melbourne (21)
9. Cats (22)
10. Dogs (16)
Interested the logic of Geelong 2022 as second worst premier given won PF and GF by 10 goals plus on the back of 16 straight wins, being undefeated since May? A somewhat dominant season one could say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back