Who were the bogey teams of the premiership teams and dynasties?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
As they say in boxing, styles make fights. Richmond used to beat Hawthorn a lot in that 2012-2016 period if I recall correctly. And West Coast went 4-1 over Brisbane between 2002 and 2004. And West Coast had trouble with Fremantle, Sydney, and the Western Bulldogs in 2005 and 2006.

Any other notable examples? I got others but I'll let others name them. I'd also ask you what you think a bogey team is. Does a team need to beat another more than once over a short period to be a bogey team?

Last edited:
Adelaide, ironically, was probably the closest the tiges got to a bogey team from 2017 to 2020. (3-3)

The dogs as well probably (2-2). I wouldnt consider them bogies though.

Wow looking back we were pretty blessed.

As they say in boxing, styles make fights. Richmond used to beat Hawthorn a lot in that 2012-2016 period if I recall correctly. And West Coast went 4-1 over Brisbane between 2002 and 2004. And West Coast had trouble with Fremantle, Sydney, and the Western Bulldogs in 2005 and 2006.

Any other notable examples? I got others but I'll let others name them. I'd also ask you what you think a bogey team is. Does a team need to beat another more than once over a short period to be a bogey team?
I remember this well. Didnt west coast thrash Brisbane at the Gabba once between 2002-4? Dead certain chris judd tore Brisbane apart at the gabba at least once

Port were pretty good 2002-2004, and IIRC has a decent record vs the Lions, even in Brisbane, but they kept running into the scrappy Pies in finals and getting dented.

I feel we were their bogey side, and they could have been a dynasty.

People say Carlton are our bogey side, maybe, although Hafeys three losses in GFs werent premiers and made finals on sweat rather than class.

Hawthorn has beaten our last three premiership sides, 90, 20 and 23. In two of those years they weren't much good.

Thread like this just shows how good Geelong were in 2007-2011. Difficult to find a bogey side.

2007 - 15 game win streak, win 19 of last 20
2008 - 15 game win streak, 24/25 wins (up to 43 wins in their last 45)
2009 - 13 game win streak (to end up at 56 wins in 58 games!), 21/25
2010 - 18-7…pathetic
2011 - 22-3, 13 game win streak

105-20 in a 5 year span, 103-17 if you start at the famous 2007 Richmond game. 4x 10+ win streaks.

Losses from that Richmond game were:
St Kilda 3
Collingwood 3
Carlton 2
Essendon 1
Sydney 1
West Coast 1
Fremantle 1
Adelaide 1
Western Bulldogs 1
Brisbane 1
Hawthorn 1
Port Adelaide 1

Collingwood seamed to rain on richmond parade circa 2017-2019
Same can be said about cats 2009-2011 as the Pies won in 2010.
To be honest i think Collingwood will be the next big dynasty already won the flag in 2023 and potentally 2024.
I think we are coming into Pies times now and its a Pies dynasty for mine.

Port were pretty good 2002-2004, and IIRC has a decent record vs the Lions, even in Brisbane, but they kept running into the scrappy Pies in finals and getting dented.

People say Carlton are our bogey side, maybe, although Hafeys three losses in GFs werent premiers and made finals on sweat rather than class.

Hawthorn has beaten our last three premiership sides, 90, 20 and 23. In two of those years they weren't much good.
We beat you twice in 90. Both times easily I think. Chief kicked 11 at Waverley in the helmet the 2nd match. The only team you guys were worried about stopping any premiership run was is. Luckily for you guys Melbourne was our bogy team that year they beat us 2 weeks in a row and knocked us out of the running.

Not a Bogey team but a Bogey player, Jason Heatley Vs the 90s Kanagroos!!

Would absolutely towel us up every time we would play them

31 Goals 5 Behinds in 7 games. Next best was 18 Goals 9 Behinds vs Melb.

Short lived career but a memorable one for a kid supporting the roos in the 90s!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We beat you twice in 90. Both times easily I think. Chief kicked 11 at Waverley in the helmet the 2nd match. The only team you guys were worried about stopping any premiership run was is. Luckily for you guys Melbourne was our bogy team that year they beat us 2 weeks in a row and knocked us out of the running.
The first one was about 10 goals, the second one was under a goal, Paul Dear and Dunstall bagging late snags to pip us. We had a superb defence, except against fat ugly Queenslanders.

In the 1990 premiership video Eddie lamented "how he loves to play Collingwood".

Collingwood had issues with Geelong back when we won our 2010 flag. If it wasn't for them, most likely would have beaten anyone else in 2011 and gone back to back. I remember going to a game back then where they beat us by a huge margin.. like 60+ even though we had a good team.

I remember personally dreading playing Geelong back at that time

In the era around 2005 Sydney could not beat Adelaide to save our lives. It was pure luck we did not meet Adelaide in the finals in 2005. If we had we would not have won the premiership.
It was a perennial thing really, just most visible and cursed then with both contending. For mine it begins with that early ‘97 night clash when both teams were on the 8 fringe and the Crows thrashed, and concludes when Swans beat them in the away 2012 QF. During those years the Crows were a foil.

In hindsight that was a cool finals series. Knock out bogey Crows on their deck, then knockout the Pies at Stadium Australia (bogey fixture), then the Hawks in Melbourne after the 08 & 11 SF exits.

Last edited:
I remember this well. Didnt west coast thrash Brisbane at the Gabba once between 2002-4? Dead certain chris judd tore Brisbane apart at the gabba at least once

5 goals in the first half, the day he really announced himself to the league

Eagles beat the reigning premiers by 69 points on their home turf

Thread like this just shows how good Geelong were in 2007-2011. Difficult to find a bogey side.

2007 - 15 game win streak, win 19 of last 20
2008 - 15 game win streak, 24/25 wins (up to 43 wins in their last 45)
2009 - 13 game win streak (to end up at 56 wins in 58 games!), 21/25
2010 - 18-7…pathetic
2011 - 22-3, 13 game win streak

105-20 in a 5 year span, 103-17 if you start at the famous 2007 Richmond game. 4x 10+ win streaks.

Losses from that Richmond game were:
St Kilda 3
Collingwood 3
Carlton 2
Essendon 1
Sydney 1
West Coast 1
Fremantle 1
Adelaide 1
Western Bulldogs 1
Brisbane 1
Hawthorn 1
Port Adelaide 1
Boogey side WHEN IT COUNTS: Hawthorn. Isn’t that right Geelong posters? Gavin Excell ?

baby crying GIF

Yep good call, the Magpies absolutely had our number throughout that time. Frustrating as hell, because I’d argue we had better talent on the field, but Malthouse was able to motivate incredible performances from some workmanlike players in that timeframe.

While Collingwood were a genuine rival during that time, North were a bogey side regardless of the relative ladder position of the two sides. We didn’t notch up our first win against them in 2003. Famously beat us in the first game of 2002 after the Carey scandal, with Archer and Stevens chaired off the ground. Flogged us by close to 100 points in our 2004 premiership season.

We beat The Eagles back in 05 when they were on top and we were on the bottom. May have been their first loss of the year I think they went into that game 8-0? We smacked them in the return game in 2006 and also got them in 92 and 94 in their premiership years at Subi by a point from 5 goals down, kicked the last 5 of the game. And of course in 94 Tranquilli's 6 goals at the wet MCG.

lol.

Not a Bogey team but a Bogey player, Jason Heatley Vs the 90s Kanagroos!!

Would absolutely towel us up every time we would play them

31 Goals 5 Behinds in 7 games. Next best was 18 Goals 9 Behinds vs Melb.

Short lived career but a memorable one for a kid supporting the roos in the 90s!!
9 goals at Waverley then 7 in The Prelim at the G. 16 snags in two games that stellar, 1997 season that he had.

Not a bogey side per se but just by gut feel during 07-11 Collingwood would always be a big test. Even the '07 side who won the GF by 119 points only just sneaked past them in the Prelim a week earlier. I think it was Malthouse who came up with the idea of not trying to tackle Ablett because he was too evasive/strong through the hips, so he'd have his side pressure whoever he was about to give the ball to instead or something along those lines.

Collingwood seamed to rain on richmond parade circa 2017-2019
Same can be said about cats 2009-2011 as the Pies won in 2010.
To be honest i think Collingwood will be the next big dynasty already won the flag in 2023 and potentally 2024.
I think we are coming into Pies times now and its a Pies dynasty for mine.
Yeah, if you just conveniently leave out the 3 vs 1 head to head finals record over that period it looks really favourable!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back