Who would win - 196cm or over team vs 180cm or less team?

Which team wins?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Now I admit I only spent 15 minutes creating both teams and I am sure that I have made errors in forgetting certain players, or having other players pretty far out of position, and I must admit I very much struggled picking a full back for the 180cm or less team but I think we can have a good discussion regardless, and if anyone can think of a better team for both feel very free to say it.

Also I know 196cm is an odd number to pick, but I tried to pick a number where there would be a vaguely similar number of players to the 180cm or less team, and 200cm was too tall for that.

196cm or more
B: Grundy, Moore, Taylor
HB: Marshall, Andrews, Blakey
C: Blicavs, English, Naughton
HF: Cox, Hogan, Cameron
F: Larkey, Hawkins, Jackson
Foll: Gawn, Z.Reid, Soldo
Int: Daniher, Petty, Dixon, Hipwood

vs

180cm or less
B: Laird, Short, D.Rioli
HB: Saad, Miller, Gresham
C: J.Daicos, Gulden, Daniel
HF: Higgins, Papley, McCarthy
F: Weightman, Pickett, Bolton
Foll: Rachele, Neale, Serong
Int: Zorko, Moore, Parfitt, Walters

So if both teams go up against each other, which team wins?

Dry day - the talls.
Wet day - the smalls.

I for some reason think the 180cm or under would win in the dry too. There are a few really good talls who can run in the tall team but for the most part the short team would run rings around the tall team. The only issue would be trying to prevent the tall team kicking the ball into the forward 50 because every time the tall team get a F50 entry it is going to lead to a mark.

The short team would need to run, run and run, exhaust the tall team, create space and prevent the tall team getting their hands on the ball, but I think the short team is talented enough to do it.

I for some reason think the 180cm or under would win in the dry too. There are a few really good talls who can run in the tall team but for the most part the short team would run rings around the tall team. The only issue would be trying to prevent the tall team kicking the ball into the forward 50 because every time the tall team get a F50 entry it is going to lead to a mark.

The short team would need to run, run and run, exhaust the tall team, create space and prevent the tall team getting their hands on the ball, but I think the short team is talented enough to do it.
TBH it's the turnover game that would be the most interesting. The talls would expect to retain possession pretty well, but would be killed on any ground ball turnover. They'd have more opportunity for turnover with elite interceptors on the team though.

I might have been scarred from watching a bulldogs forwardline in the 2008-2011 era where our KPFs were often Johnno and Mitch Hahn.

Now I admit I only spent 15 minutes creating both teams and I am sure that I have made errors in forgetting certain players, or having other players pretty far out of position, and I must admit I very much struggled picking a full back for the 180cm or less team but I think we can have a good discussion regardless, and if anyone can think of a better team for both feel very free to say it.

Also I know 196cm is an odd number to pick, but I tried to pick a number where there would be a vaguely similar number of players to the 180cm or less team, and 200cm was too tall for that.

196cm or more
B: Grundy, Moore, Taylor
HB: Marshall, Andrews, Blakey
C: Blicavs, English, Naughton
HF: Cox, Hogan, Cameron
F: Larkey, Hawkins, Jackson
Foll: Gawn, Z.Reid, Soldo
Int: Daniher, Petty, Dixon, Hipwood

vs

180cm or less
B: Laird, Short, D.Rioli
HB: Saad, Miller, Gresham
C: J.Daicos, Gulden, Daniel
HF: Higgins, Papley, McCarthy
F: Weightman, Pickett, Bolton
Foll: Rachele, Neale, Serong
Int: Zorko, Moore, Parfitt, Walters

So if both teams go up against each other, which team wins?

So none of the players 180 to 196cm get any love in your thread? Discriminatory.

Cool question, I've always wondered this myself. Probably tall because you'd pick all tall guys with speed like Moore, the king brothers etc

I think the sub-180's would pump them. One pressured kick at any time and a dropped mark and the ball hits the deck, and the 196's are cooked. Way too much speed in the sub-180's forward line. And how are those tall mids supposed to win a footy against Neale and Serong? or run with Gulden , Saad and Bolton?

Reduce the height by 2 cm and the 194cm+ would annihilate them. Can then add Cripps, Bontempelli, Curnow, Blakey, Ridley, Himmelberg etc

Blakey is actually in the current team as he is 196cm. I can understand you not thinking he is 196cm as he really doesn't play like he is that height. He isn't that great a contested mark, is quite thin but he is fast and skilled, so he plays like a player much smaller than he actually is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

196cm guys because it is a game of attrition.

A full game of being hit and tackled only by 95kg+ dudes is going to break the 180 crew by midway through the third quarter. Not too mention all the leaning, shoving, pushing, niggle work.

A full game of being hit and tackled only by 95kg+ dudes is going to break the 180 crew by midway through the third quarter. Not too mention all the leaning, shoving, pushing, niggle work.

I think the tackling would be quite hard for both teams though, but for different reasons. Not easy for a 180cm player to take down someone 15 to 20cm taller than them, but at the same time it is not too easy for the taller players to tackle the shorter players without giving away a free kick.

I think the tackling would be quite hard for both teams though, but for different reasons. Not easy for a 180cm player to take down someone 15 to 20cm taller than them, but at the same time it is not too easy for the taller players to tackle the shorter players without giving away a free kick.

True but the 196cm tackler has the added bonus of likely hurting the guy he gives a free too.

Conor Nash probably should be in the team. One of the few genuine mids at that size. Would put Jackson in the middle as he could also potentially be a decent mid

A midfield of Gawn, Jackson, Blicavs and Nash would battle away enough to make it tough for a small midfield where the talls can take advantage in other areas

Not sure how the shorter backs could stop that forward line.
I reckon 7 times out of 10 they would either mark the ball or ensure the ball is handed off to someone like Cameron & Daniher. Cameron would be a handful as he's just as mobile as some of those shorter types.

So if you check the 2023 AFL coaches votes you can see the short people are dominant.

I remember in the 90s when everyone said that Anthony Kotoufides was the "prototype" of the future and short players would be out of the game.
This prediction has simply not come true.

AFL coaches votes 2023 leaderboard

109 Zak Butters PORT
102 Marcus Bontempelli WB
99 Nick Daicos COLL
98 Christian Petracca MELB
91 Lachie Neale BRIS
88 Errol Gulden SYD
87 Connor Rozee PORT
86 Caleb Serong FRE

How often do tall blokes tackle a little guy in a normal game?
Hardly ever. Little blokes can just avoid the tackle easily.

Tall blokes just aren't really laying any tackles at all.

More likely is a little bloke tackles a big bloke and brings the ball to ground. Another little bloke runs off and then taller.bloles can't get a glove on them once they spread and overlap and carry.

Big picture is it's a great aspect of the game that the right blend is a mix of all.sizes.

Can't just have a single "type".

Last edited:
How often do tall blokes tackle a little guy in a normal game?
Hardly ever. Little blokes can just avoid the tackle easily.

Tall blokes just aren't really laying any tackles at all.

More likely is a little bloke tackles a big bloke and brings the ball to ground. Another little bloke runs off and then taller.bloles can't get a glove on them once they spread and overlap and carry.

Big picture is it's a great aspect of the game that the right blend is a mix of all.sizes.

Can't just have a single "type".

The height difference is so big between them they won’t need to. The short guys would get out marked before the ball hits the deck almost every time.

So if you check the 2023 AFL coaches votes you can see the short people are dominant.

I remember in the 90s when everyone said that Anthony Kotoufides was the "prototype" of the future and short players would be out of the game.
This prediction has simply not come true.

AFL coaches votes 2023 leaderboard

109 Zak Butters PORT
102 Marcus Bontempelli WB
99 Nick Daicos COLL
98 Christian Petracca MELB
91 Lachie Neale BRIS
88 Errol Gulden SYD
87 Connor Rozee PORT
86 Caleb Serong FRE

Ha, yep.

Everybody bags the umpires because their Brownlow “is just a midfielders award”.

No, every award is a midfielders award.

Back