Prediction Who's poised to be the disappointment/let down team of 2024?

Which team(s) will be the disappointment of 2024?

• Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 81 24.3%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 42 12.6%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Geelong

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 26 7.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 53 15.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • Richmond

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • GWS

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 21 6.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Most years there's an unexpected bolter and big improver, however the usual occurrence in any year opposite to that is the team that has a lot of hype/expectation/predicted success that bombs. It could be missing the finals entirely, going from finals to bottom 4, a premiership team failing to back up and make finals, a team predicted for a top 4/GF that performs well below expectations, etc.

Teams without much hype/middling teams or lower on the ladder expected teams probably aren't likely to disappoint as much, as the expectations are lower. So if you vote for one of them, it'd be interesting to see the reasoning.

Who do you think will be the potential disappointment(s) or let down team of 2024?

Hawthorn.

I don't think many people expect them to be good, but their fans seem to think they aren't a bottom four team.

They are.
They are the cockiest supporter base ever from a bottom 4 team aren't they...

Was tempted to vote for them but the Carlton option was non negotiable this year.

Hawthorn.

I don't think many people expect them to be good, but their fans seem to think they aren't a bottom four team.

They are.
Poor troll.

You even said it yourself that many don't expect them to be any good which is true. The majority think that. I'm the minority and disagree. Most Hawks fans aren't even saying or think what you said.

I'll tell you this much though. They'll belt you when they play you and show you that you're a bottom four club if not a bottom side like you were last year. You're in no such position to be taking pop shots ( But I am haha gee I'm tough )

Hawthorn will finish above you guys this year. AGAIN.

:tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor troll.

You even said it yourself that many don't expect them to be any good which is true. The majority think that. I'm the minority and disagree. Most Hawks fans aren't even saying or think what you said.

I'll tell you this much though. They'll belt you when they play you and show you that you're a bottom four club if not a bottom side like you were last year. You're in no such position to be taking pop shots ( But I am haha gee I'm tough )

Hawthorn will finish above you guys this year. AGAIN.

:tearsofjoy:
Hawthorn.

They are.

I think most Hawthorn supporters have us around the 12th-16th mark looking at the ladder prediction thread.

Even our very own 'Can Hawthorn play finals in 2024?' thread on our board has it as a minority suggesting yes, and the majority answering no/maybe (bit of a cop out answer the last one).

Still the 2nd youngest side in the comp and will there be plenty of ups and downs. Bit battered and bruised with some unfortunate injuries in the preseason.

Hawthorn.

They are.

Yep. Sammy Mitchell is a conman who has convinced the supporters that regression is okay and it’ll all just happen eventually because Hawks.

The talk of finals is ridiculous.

Hawthorn.

They are.

Been saying that lists in rebuild don't follow linear improvement. A couple of injuries to key players and team balance is gone and things turn pear shaped.

IMO the wooden spoon will be between West Coast, North, Richmond and Hawthorn.

Hawks already have a few out injured already and looking thin in defense.

Whoever has the worse injury run out of these teams is favourite to finish last.

Carlton and Melbourne probably the two biggest contenders.

Though Carlton had a great second half of the year, their first half was really poor so it could be a case of old habits creeping in. Contract extension for the coach before the season is generally not a great idea either unless the coach has sustained success under his belt.

Melbourne haven't had the best off-season which typically indicates a dip. Plus back to back straight sets exits may put a dent in their confidence.

GWS is another that had a poor first half of the season before crushing the second half, but I am more confident they'll back it up because of home ground advantage.

So I said St Kilda for my third pick as I don't think they've improved their list enough to maintain their spot on the ladder.

A fair bit rests on how Kreuzer responds to his calf rehab. Calves are bastards and can dog senior players for a whole season

I'm a little confused by the posts about Hawthorn in this thread. Let me see if I grasp people's main contention.

If the Hawks finish the season where most people think they'll finish... somewhere around 13th, 14th, 15th or 16th... with one of the youngest teams in the comp... Above North Melbourne and West Coast... but no higher than 12th... then we will be one of the disappointment / let down teams of 2024... because we didn't make the Top 8 (as predicted by a very small handful of the most optimistic one-eyed Hawf supporters during the pre-season)

Is that it?

Good one, Big Footy! Don't go changing Obeanie1, Kreuuuzeurns, Chadwiko...

It's thoughtful discussions like these which make the Main Board an essential read. :rolleyesv1::thumbsu:

FWIW, here's the latest betting odds for teams to make top 8

Maybe use this as a starting point for the team you believe will be the disappointment/let down team of 2024

$1.14 Collingwood
$1.17 Brisbane
$1.36 GWS Giants
$1.45 Carlton
$1.53 Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney
$1.80 Adelaide
--------------------
$1.91 Geelong
$2.20 Bulldogs
$2.50 St Kilda
$2.75 Essendon, Gold Coast
$4.00 Fremantle
$5.00 Richmond
$6.00 Hawthorn
$15.00 North Melb, West Coast

Melbourne, Sydney are a huge risk IMO, Port. I think all three of these miss finals.

Carlton will be fine - not sure why people have included them. A fit Sam Walsh will be a handy addition.

Adelaide could disappoint. Essendon will disappoint - but that is expected

Back