Who will be 2024's most disappointing/under performing team (home and away season)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Every year there is a team or team that is hyped / pumped up to have a big crack in September but for a variety of reasons, have an absolute shocker home and away season and fall short of expectations.

Last season it was The Dogs, they could be thereabouts again this year (not making finals)

Port Adelaide and Melbourne are two other teams i can think of who could have calamitous seasons and miss the finals.

Nobody is expecting North Melbourne to get anywhere near the finals in 2024, but I think that the Kangaroos will continue to languish at or near the bottom of the ladder fighting out the wooden spoon with the West Coast Eagles, with long sequences of losses and many severe thrashings at the hands of the stronger teams in the league.

And call me a pessimist, but I get the feeling that things at the Gold Coast Suns aren't going to change much despite the appointment of Damien Hardwick, that the initial results will be about the same as those under Stewart Dew in recent years, and long term any improvements will be fleeting false dawns before the Suns fall back down the ladder again.

I am not one of those people who want to see the Gold Coast fail - I would like to see them do well - but I just can't see it happening any time soon. And by 2030, when the fresh-faced young rookies who filled the Suns' teams in the early seasons are now mid-30s assistant coaches eying a promotion to a senior coaching role and the new Gold Coast players teenagers not even born when the club commenced back in 2011, I still think the Suns will be chasing their first finals' appearances.

Whichever team out of Dees, Lions, Swans, Blues, Pies or Port that miss finals.
Not sure Port missing finals would come as such a shock , mediocre team whose game style has a lot of holes in it , granted they have 3 gun mids .

Collingwood are a chance here, all it would take is a few of their best guys 30+ to start to get a few injuries. Theyve been pretty fortunate so far.
Dont think they fall out of the 8 or anything, but the bottom end of the top 8 would be up there for most underperformed teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why anybody is saying Essendon.

This might honestly be the first season I can remember where there is zero hype about their chances. Even Bombers supporters on BigFooty aren't nuffing it up.
You don’t subscribe to Superfooty/FoxFooty/AFL.com do you?

Crows
I have them similar to 2023. improvement from youth but regression In some of their older players from their 23 performance
.( 8 of 10 In bnf 25 and over, Tex having his best year ever)
A lot of people having them around the 4 if they don’t get off to a good start I can see some supporters unwarrantedly
Asking for Nixys head

Port the other.
Supporters are very bullish now they’ve found the missing pieces to the premiership puzzle.
I’m not sure

Freo expected btm 4 by the masses some even have us wooden spoon some of our own supporters want JL sacked so it will be hard to underperform on the bar set

Last edited:
Crows
I have them similar to 2023. improvement from youth but regression In some of their older players from their 23 performance
.( 8 of 10 In bnf 25 and over, Tex having his best year ever)
A lot of people having them around the 4 if they don’t get off to a good start I can see some supporters unwarrantedly
Asking for Nixys head

Port the other.
Supporters are very bullish now they’ve found the missing pieces to the premiership puzzle.
I’m not sure

Freo expected btm 4 by the masses some even have us wooden spoon some of our own supporters want JL sacked so it will be hard to underperform on the bar set

Interesting take from you.

I think the Crows (now) have a better list than Port Adelaide (which has more holes in it than Swiss cheese) but time will tell.

Unless Fremantle have a rotten run of injuries, Longmuir will be sacked imo if Freo don't make finals (or at least miss out by a win or two/on percentage)

I seen Elmer_Judd and thought I was on the bay. Was about to absolutely tee off on Port and Hinkley lol. Lucky...didn't want the day off.
I think it could be Port. They don't handle the weight of expectation. Hinkley is a proven potato. They've got some older players on the decline and alot nearly 30 and I don't think they have the youth. Players 21 or younger is just JHF. Of the players 22-26 maybe 50% are any good.

Maybe I'm overreacting (also idc) and it's definitely not the worst. But looking at age profile and quality of players I'd be worried that they're going to waste the prime years of their top players whilst teetering on the edge of finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back