Who will be better in 2024? Geelong or Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeepers.

Koschitzke's got his work cut out if he wants to emulate Cameron Mooney's career given he's been dropped after one solitary game at his new club.

Jeepers.

Koschitzke's got his work cut out if he wants to emulate Cameron Mooney's career given he's been dropped after one solitary game at his new club.
Meteoric Rise going to need an early season assessment on this one please.

"But he plays in a terrible side!"

"But Mooney was older!"

Tsk tsk, I heard at the very least you expected Cam Mooney 2007-2010 type output from Kozzy. That you wouldn't be delighted if he met that mark, as that was par.

3.6 goals/assists, 13.2 disposals, 7.6 marks and 2.8 inside 50s per game is the mark Kozzy has to hit this year.

So far we have 0 goals/assists, 4 disposals, 2 marks and 1 inside 50.

If you'd like we can keep measuring in the VFL - I'll allow it.

Jeepers.

Haven’t seen him miss from 1m out yet in the most important game of the year. That’ll take some effort to top. I don’t think I could either.

Ah another one of your imaginary exploits.

Yep I'm sure you could've bettered 9 goals in 3 AFL grand finals too.

Man, you would've been a hell of a player. Is there a reason you never even tried the lowest possible amateur competition to have a try?
Better mark than Ablett Snr, better kick than Mooney - Falcon is our coulda been GOAT!

Meteoric Rise going to need an early season assessment on this one please.

"But he plays in a terrible side!"

"But Mooney was older!"

Tsk tsk, I heard at the very least you expected Cam Mooney 2007-2010 type output from Kozzy. That you wouldn't be delighted if he met that mark, as that was par.

3.6 goals/assists, 13.2 disposals, 7.6 marks and 2.8 inside 50s per game is the mark Kozzy has to hit this year.

So far we have 0 goals/assists, 4 disposals, 2 marks and 1 inside 50.

If you'd like we can keep measuring in the VFL - I'll allow it.

You didn't hear that from me.

You are misremembering me responding to your claim Richmond would be delighted if Koschitzke turned out as good as Cam Mooney. Nobody is going to be delighted with any player turning out as good as Cam Mooney because he wasn't a great player.

Koschitzke is not likely to be much of a player. But my comment was about Cam Mooney being used as some sort of acceptable measuring stick. Mooney is a dill and I don't rate him.

You didn't hear that from me.

You are misremembering me responding to your claim Richmond would be delighted if Koschitzke turned out as good as Cam Mooney. Nobody is going to be delighted with any player turning out as good as Cam Mooney because he wasn't a great player.

Koschitzke is not likely to be much of a player. But my comment was about Cam Mooney being used as some sort of acceptable measuring stick. Mooney is a dill and I don't rate him.
I said Richmond supporters would be delighted if Kozzy had Mooney type impact rather than being a throwaway player, thereafter you spent a lot of time diminishing the 2007-2010 Mooney period in particular. "At the very least" this was the expectation for Kozzy.

It'll be an interesting one to track, for sure. I'm kind of glad you put your foot in your mouth over this one.

Cats likely round 1 team has 5 high quality first round draft picks with up to three or four years under their belt who didn’t play in 2022 Premiership.

I’m staggered the Cats are seen to be falling out of the 8 by so many lazy journos.

Cats smashed by injury last year. I’m tipping top 4.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Cats likely round 1 team has 5 high quality first round draft picks with up to three or four years under their belt who didn’t play in 2022 Premiership.

I’m staggered the Cats are seen to be falling out of the 8 by so many lazy journos.

Can a team fall out of the 8 from out of the 8?

Cats midfield won’t be competitive enough across the season for top 4.

Still have their star match winners and the defence is relatively settled and well drilled, thinking 5-12 depending on injuries.

Not a team I’d want to face in an elimination final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats midfield won’t be competitive enough across the season for top 4.

Still have their star match winners and the defence is relatively settled and well drilled, thinking 5-12 depending on injuries.

Not a team I’d want to face in an elimination final.

Cats midfield is no good isn’t consistent with the 2022 evidence. They didn’t win the clearances in their premiership year.

Only Selwood on his last legs is gone from the 2022 Premiership midfield. Cam Guthrie needs to come back from injury but Bowes, Bruhn and Clark are more than adequate replacements for Selwood.

Cats midfield is no good isn’t consistent with the 2022 evidence. They didn’t win the clearances in their premiership year.

Only Selwood on his last legs is gone from the 2022 Premiership midfield. Cam Guthrie needs to come back from injury but Bowes, Bruhn and Clark are more than adequate replacements for Selwood.

I know you don’t truely believe that. The Cats midfield would be the weakest of the top 4 contenders and by a long way. Dare I say one of the weakest midfield groups in the competition.

I know you don’t truely believe that. The Cats midfield would be the weakest of the top 4 contenders and by a long way. Dare I say one of the weakest midfield groups in the competition.
Believe it or not it performed okay at full strength last season.

The issue was Dangerfield was missing or crocked for half the year, then Guthrie, Holmes, Duncan, Blicavs and Stanley missed overlapping chunks.

It completely fell apart when it was down to Ceglar tapping it to Atkins, Bruhn and just one of the aforementioned names.

Now you can rightly say "there's a good chance the older cohort struggle for availability again" - we're already missing Guthrie - but without further loss of midfielders/rucks I'd say it'll be competitive enough.

lol, that’s quite good. Touché

It was a genuine question. I’ll follow it up with another.

If the Cats will regain their place in the top 8 which they lost because they were “smashed by injury last year”, why are other sides not afforded the same thought process?

Or will Geelong’s injury issues magically disappear, whilst every other club holds consistent, if not gets worse?

Look I like Geelong and think they’re every chance of making finals in 2024, and I certainly think they’re finishing above Richmond, but I have no idea how you can be so confident that they’ll be playing finals.

There’s a massive group of teams all fighting it out for spots in the lower half of the 8. Geelong are firmly entrenched in that group IMO.

Believe it or not it performed okay at full strength last season.

The issue was Dangerfield was missing or crocked for half the year, then Guthrie, Holmes, Duncan, Blicavs and Stanley missed overlapping chunks.

It completely fell apart when it was down to Ceglar tapping it to Atkins, Bruhn and just one of the aforementioned names.

Now you can rightly say "there's a good chance the older cohort struggle for availability again" - we're already missing Guthrie - but without further loss of midfielders/rucks I'd say it'll be competitive enough.

Yeah maybe with everyone fit and firing the Cats midfield will stack up. But I doubt it will happen consistently enough over 24 rounds especially being an older group. But it is why I give them a big chance of causing some upsets at the pointy end of the season.

I think Scott himself would admit it’s a bit of a transition year for your midfield. Bruhn, Bowes and Clark will get a good share of centre bounces and imo they are a few years off competing with the best. Maybe they will prove everyone wrong as the Cats seem to always do.

I find this comment interesting, because right now, your midfield isn't crash hot either.

If you compare losing Walsh to C. Guthrie, and I. Smith retiring last year to losing Doch this year before the season has gotten underway, your current midfield stands as:

Cripps
Hewett
Cerra
M. Kennedy
J. Carroll
O. Hollands
Acres
S. Walsh

VS

Dangerfield
Duncan
Blicavs
T. Atkins
Holmes
Bruhn
J. Clark
Bowes
C. Guthrie

You add in Walsh to your side and C. Guthrie to ours after say Round 6, and you end up with a half decent midfield that replaces I. Smith with Holmes, and Selwood with Jhye, Bruhn and Bowes, from our Premiership midfield.

It's not perfect, but it's not exactly panic stations either - as I imagine it wouldn't be for you guys.

I find this comment interesting, because right now, your midfield isn't crash hot either.

If you compare losing Walsh to C. Guthrie, and I. Smith retiring last year to losing Doch this year before the season has gotten underway, your current midfield stands as:

Cripps
Hewett
Cerra
M. Kennedy
J. Carroll
O. Hollands
Acres
S. Walsh

VS

Dangerfield
Duncan
Blicavs
T. Atkins
Holmes
Bruhn
J. Clark
Bowes
C. Guthrie

You add in Walsh to your side and C. Guthrie to ours after say Round 6, and you end up with a half decent midfield that replaces I. Smith with Holmes, and Selwood with Jhye, Bruhn and Bowes, from our Premiership midfield.

It's not perfect, but it's not exactly panic stations either - as I imagine it wouldn't be for you guys.

I would agree our midfield is quite vulnerable right now, but even then I don’t think the Cats have anyone on the level of Cripps or Cerra unless Danger decides to wind back the clock. Blicavs is elite but not in the same mould. The Cats are quite even and deep but would be putting a lot of faith into Clark who has played 1 game and Bowes who has never been more than a bottom 6 player in his 7 year career.

At full strength I do rate the Cats but that rarely happens for any team throughout the home and away.

That's the worry. Realistically with our forward line and defence we'll win most matches if we break even in midfield. But the midfield right now looks weak.

If Guthrie gets fit that's a huge difference. He's was clearly our best mid from 2020-2022. Absolutely no certainty of that happening though.

The other huge difference is if Holmes or Bruhn have break out years. They're first round draft picks with 50-odd games under their belts going into their 4th season. That's when talented players tend to break out (see Will Day last year for example). If one of them becomes an A grader again it'll be a huge difference.

If those 2 things happen our midfield will be at least mid table which is all it was in 2022 and we will be a very good side. Neither happen and our midfield is arguably the worst in the comp and we'll miss the 8.

It was a genuine question. I’ll follow it up with another.

If the Cats will regain their place in the top 8 which they lost because they were “smashed by injury last year”, why are other sides not afforded the same thought process?

Or will Geelong’s injury issues magically disappear, whilst every other club holds consistent, if not gets worse?

Look I like Geelong and think they’re every chance of making finals in 2024, and I certainly think they’re finishing above Richmond, but I have no idea how you can be so confident that they’ll be playing finals.

There’s a massive group of teams all fighting it out for spots in the lower half of the 8. Geelong are firmly entrenched in that group IMO.

To be fair, we had some absurd injury issues last year.

SDK - broken face
Jez - concussed/injured by his own teammate
Stengle - broken arm
C. Guthrie - infinite toe issues
J. Clark - navicular and out for the year after 1/4 playing
Danger - broken rib/collapsed lung
Holmes - knee surgery
J. Henry - infinite foot issues
Stanley - fractured eye socket

Everything last year wasn't just your run of the mill soft tissue injuries, it was long term injury after long term injury. Some of them were freakish, some of them were just frustrating. Many joked on our board that we made a deal with Lazarus to keep ourselves fit the previous year - and were being paid back in kind in 2023. If we avoid even half of that, we could have a half decent year.

I think supreme confidence is misplaced. Things go wrong and we'll miss the 8. There are too many competitive teams for us to be certainties to make the 8.

But I also think people underrate how good this Geelong team can be at its best. There are 21/23 players that dominated Sydney in the 2022 GF on our list still. The 2 guys we don't have (Selwood and Smith) didn't make the top 10 of our B&F that year. They were important contributors and Smith obviously had a cracking GF but they weren't key players either by performance or for structure.

On top of that we've got 3x first rounders from 2020 that didn't play in the GF. Holmes, Bruhn and O Henry in their 4th season could easily get a lot better. Then Z Guthrie, Atkins and Miers look much superior players than they were in 2022.

So much can go wrong and we could easily be not very good. Hawkins, Danger, Duncan and Blicavs fall off a cliff and we're done. But saying there's no way that team could win the flag this year ignores that this team was very very good very recently and there are really obvious possible improvements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back