St Kilda v Western Bulldogs.. who will be better in 2024?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Middle of the road sides in recent years.. but who will be better in 2024??

I think we've got out s**t together more than the dogs' atm. Talent wise they are right up there though.

Bevo needs to change things up and it's yet to be seen if he can do that.
I would agree with this as don't think Beveridge will see the year out at the Dogs.

Dogs should be pushing for top 4 with their list but whilst Bevo is at the helm who knows what they’ll produce. Still have them ahead of us despite missing finals last year, unless we have others step up and join Sinclair and Wilkie as A graders.

Dogs much better midfield. Saints much better defence

But the biggest difference I can see is the broad age profile and development timelines.

Saints were bottom 6 for average age in 2023, and will only get younger. Dogs were top 4 last year.

Obviously things will change a bit week to week in 2024. But most weeks Saints will run out with about 10 or so players 23 or under. Dogs maybe half that. Dogs will run out with probably double the players 30+ than we will most weeks.

Being consistantly older and more experienced should have the Dogs ahead. Like others have said though, alot depends on how Bevo coaches

Last edited:
Prefer the age profile of the Saints and they probably have their young talent more developed than the Doggies but really think they are both 6 - 12 teams. Either could make bottom half of the 8 and either could just miss. Pretty even right now. I feel like the Doggies top 4 window is closed now given the development of other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs should be pushing for top 4 with their list but whilst Bevo is at the helm who knows what they’ll produce. Still have them ahead of us despite missing finals last year, unless we have others step up and join Sinclair and Wilkie as A graders.
Max King?
If he stands up and Marshall gets back to his best Saints can be dangerous

Max King?
If he stands up and Marshall gets back to his best Saints can be dangerous
Yeah, I think if King and Steele can get back to their best we will be alright. Otherwise our rise will be determined by the growth of Nasiah, Chito, Pou etc. That young core might still be a year or two away though.

Feel like Dogs are more primed, even with the Smith ACL your midfield is quality. JUH looks ready to break out, if one of Busslinger/Darcy join him I can see Dogs pushing top 4.

Yeah, I think if King and Steele can get back to their best we will be alright. Otherwise our rise will be determined by the growth of Nasiah, Chito, Pou etc. That young core might still be a year or two away though.

Feel like Dogs are more primed, even with the Smith ACL your midfield is quality. JUH looks ready to break out, if one of Busslinger/Darcy join him I can see Dogs pushing top 4.
TBH I think much of our season rests on James O'Donnell. If he can nail down a KPD spot we can build from there.

I'm not convinced Buss is ready this year. Plus Coffield seems well ahead as that third/ interceptor role

I reckon Saints have the better defence and forward line, dogs have better midfield... will be interesting. Doggies are certainty older and more experienced.

The Western Bulldogs are straight out of a Hollywood Movie.

'' Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get ''

The Forrest Gump Story of the AFL. Winning it from 7th was a hurculean type performance. A Forrest Gump Feel good story triumphing through adversity and climbing over various hurdles. Inspiring. Then they have the ability to just fall away into Neverland when they should be riding high on top of it. 2021 top 4 all year, lose it late on yet still make the Grand Final. I thought it was show's over folks when Bont put them 17 points up in the 3rd. Then it all went to s**t.

Should be a top 4 team at the very minimum. I'll tip the Doggies finish higher I feel with Bont and Co they still have the ingredients to deliver a very good package come finals time. I don't have much faith in The Saints I'm sorry to say but they did well last year. Could and should have did a little better after their early hard work but still got an A- for a solid season.

Either side if not both could go far in 2024 but I'd put my money on The Doggies only because of Bont and the fact that I'm writing them off again. It's when you write them off that they're at their most dangerous.

Back