St Kilda v Western Bulldogs.. who will be better in 2024?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

'' Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get ''
Never understood this.

Boxes of chocolates literally tell you what each chocolate is. You look at the lid or the paper insert, and compare it to the wrapper on the cholocate you've selected - and you know precisely what you're going to get.

The Dogs' fortunes as usual, seem to be 100% dependent on The Bont.

If he has another freakishly good year, they'll be good.
If he doesn't, they'll suck.

Realistically, it will be the former unless he gets hurt.
Couldn't disagree more with this.

How much better a year could Bont have than 2023? Yet they still missed finals.

Improvement is going to come from the other 30 plus senior players, gelling together better, and growth of JUH, Darcy, Sanders, O'Donnell, etc.

Improvement is going to come from the other 30 plus senior players, gelling together better, and growth of JUH, Darcy, Sanders, O'Donnell, etc.
With Macrae and Liberace another year older - it's all on Bont.

If he is absent for any reason, they could go from one of the best midfields a couple of years ago, to one of the worst very quickly.

You're right about last year though. Just imagine how much they'd have sucked without him last year?

Last edited:
Dogs much better midfield. Saints much better defence

But the biggest difference I can see is the broad age profile and development timelines.

Saints were bottom 6 for average age in 2023, and will only get younger. Dogs were top 4 last year.

Obviously things will change a bit week to week in 2024. But most weeks Saints will run out with about 10 or so players 23 or under. Dogs maybe half that. Dogs will run out with probably double the players 30+ than we will most weeks.

Being consistantly older and more experienced should have the Dogs ahead. Like others have said though, alot depends on how Bevo coaches
Reckon Saints have a better midfield. Better runners.

Never understood this.

Boxes of chocolates literally tell you what each chocolate is. You look at the lid or the paper insert, and compare it to the wrapper on the cholocate you've selected - and you know precisely what you're going to get.
Yeah I'm with you. Even if they didn't tell you what kind of chocolates they are on the box they're still chocolates. It's not a random lucky dip box is it. You won't be finding a gold ring, rusty nails and a cat turd in there.

Silly quote. No idea how it became popular.

I reckon they are pretty close overall.

Dogs could "go on a run" and the Bont is probably the best player in the AFL

But

The Saints seems more even and play as a team.

The Dogs seem all over the place and you can't be sure what you are going to get. They could win the flag or have some kind of Bevo spiritual meltdown and win the spoon if Bont gets injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those three have barely played, if at all.

If that's what the Dogs are relying on then they have some issues...

Not sure Bigfooty have figured out how good Owens and Nasiah are yet...

Legit Guns already.

Last edited:
Saints well ahead. Have picked up some decent young players.

Footscray seem divided, inc about the coach. Has that Footscray review finished/ been composted/ shredded?

My mob has farewelled Dalrymple who is a fine pick up for the Saints. Interestingly he fell out big time with Bevo.

* if I know, I do not trust either of these teams.
This.

Outside of one recent exception, Dogs & Saints fans are united in being perennially let down.

As for the OP question... all depends of the trajectory of our young guys. If Mitchito, Scud, Nas & co develop in bonafide A graders then we'll go past the Dogs at a rate of knots. A full season from Max will obviously be hugely influential... still took apart some very good defenders with one arm last season.

On the other hand the Dogs landing Sanders will keep their midfield in the top echelon for a while yet.

I think people will show a little bit more respect towards St Kilda after another season under RTB. Not many too bullish on us. Think we will surprise many. Youth is extremely promising, and there might be a few stars amongst them. Lower half of the 8 or just outside. If we just miss I don't think it's a huge issue. The club is finally on the right path and our time will come in the next 2-3 years.

Dogs I can never work out. Always surprises me when they lose games I fully expect them to win, even when the Bont dominates. Anywhere from 5th to 12th for me. If I had to guess I would say they should land in the lower half of the 8.

The more I read in this thread, the keener I get on St. Kilda and the less enthusiastic I get about the Doggies.

Smith will be a massive loss this year, Bont can't have a better year than he had in 2023, and Libba/Macrae/Treloar aren't getting any younger. Whilst St. Kilda have some incredible young talent who will only get better with another year under their belts.

I reckon the Saints are primed for top 8, pushing top 4, and now leaning towards the Doggies spending another season looking on in September, which would mean bye, bye Bevo.

With Macrae and Liberace another year older - it's all on Bont.

If he is absent for any reason, they could go from one of the best midfields a couple of years ago, to one of the worst very quickly.

You're right about last year though. Just imagine how much they'd have sucked without him last year?
Drafting sanders helps us. He's better then any of the young saints mids already

Back