Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ll be rethinking your omission of Durham very quickly I reckon. Bias might come into it, but I’m taking McGrath over Hardwick now that he’s settled back there.

I suppose that's depends on what you're after.

IMO Hardwick is a better lock down defender, is tougher and is a better kick. McGrath can provide more run and is good in possession chains.

I suppose that's depends on what you're after.

IMO Hardwick is a better lock down defender, is tougher and is a better kick. McGrath can provide more run and is good in possession chains.
McGrath actually has an excellent lock-down record and provides great rebound so the balance is there. You’re right in saying that he isn’t naturally a hard nut but he isn’t a shirker either. His kicking has been fairly criticised but that is mostly when playing midfield, when kicking high around corners to no-one. Playing directly out of defence his kicking has been fine just doesn’t have the penetration.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. Cladwell may have more zip and is certainly a better kick than Worpel (Nash is a pretty good field kick), but Worpel was one of the premier clearance and contested midfielders in the league. That kind of midfielder may be a dime a dozen, but few perform to that level.

I would say Nash is one of the most unique midfielders in the league, given his size and athletic profile.
Nash = poor man's Noah Balta!

Durham is a lock and will be rotating through the midfield. He will be an impact player in every role he plays and has the endurance to switch roles without being benched. He is the player with the highest ceiling of our unfulfilled players with maybe only Perkins is in the same ball park.

For sure.

Was talking about Caldwell being a potentially tough omission

Nash = poor man's Noah Balta!
Nash is 198cm and plays as a pure mid. In his first season playing in this role he came 3rd in the Hawks B&F. Love watching him running around hunting for the ball with his size. Finally found his best position ….. master stoke move by the coach! He adds a point of difference to the Hawks midfield group without a doubt.

Like Balta but different players that play different roles.

Last edited:
The injuries to the back half are devastating to the Hawks.

While not a superstar. Blanck was solid and played an important structural role. Most importantly he let Sicily off the chain instead of tying him to the big forwards.

DGB and McCabe (while both very young and not expected to be constant contributors) going down means there is next to zero chance Sicily is allowed to simply roam free and collect 20 intercept possessions a game. Who else is back there to take the monsters? Frost and the new kid Phillips?

Throw in the injury to Day and the chook raffle that is glandular fever with Moore and they are looking at a bad year.

While not a superstar. Blanck was solid and played an important structural role. Most importantly he let Sicily off the chain instead of tying him to the big forwards.

DGB and McCabe (while both very young and not expected to be constant contributors) going down means there is next to zero chance Sicily is allowed to simply roam free and collect 20 intercept possessions a game. Who else is back there to take the monsters? Frost and the new kid Phillips?

Throw in the injury to Day and the chook raffle that is glandular fever with Moore and they are looking at a bad year.

So are the bombers injury issues also ‘devastating’? Depends how you describe them to suit your agenda

I could throw in a few ‘injury prone’ barbs as is common in bigfooty

Biggest problem for hawks is interruption to development

Day out of the moon boot and targeting about Round 4, Moore isn't even ruled out of Round 1 yet

Mate, Denver was already behind Serong (and Frost) who moved into the “Gold” team when Blanck went down in the intra.

The idea that him(or McCabe) being injured impacts Sicily in any way is a massive stretch.
Any more injuries to the backs in our best 25 and we’ll feel it, but Denver and McCabe weren’t in the picture for Round 1.

Phillips is just about the most like for like replacement you could find for Blanck - as a VFL listed tall being given a chance.

I like how the Hawks are building and I like the style Mitchell is implementing, but we really should be finishing above them in 2024, if we don't I'd be worried about what we're actually building, I sort of am worried tbh, but it's more around the mentality of our list as opposed to the talent on it.

I also think our best footy will come around 2026-2031 with a lot of this group.

Mate, Denver was already behind Serong (and Frost) who moved into the “Gold” team when Blanck went down in the intra.

The idea that him(or McCabe) being injured impacts Sicily in any way is a massive stretch.
Any more injuries to the backs in our best 25 and we’ll feel it, but Denver and McCabe weren’t in the picture for Round 1.

Phillips is just about the most like for like replacement you could find for Blanck - as a VFL listed tall being given a chance.

Serong was the one I missed.

Yep. I'll take back the McCabe comment as he would not be expected to even play this year I would assume if the list is healthy.

But, be honest.

A KPD rotation of Frost, Serong and Phillips is a worry, not for round 1 but for much longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon finished higher in 2023, but beat 3 top 8 teams to Hawthorns 2….. both grand finalists.

When Essendon beat gws and carlton, they weren’t top 8 teams

Serong was the one I missed.

Yep. I'll take back the McCabe comment as he would not be expected to even play this year I would assume if the list is healthy.

But, be honest.

A KPD rotation of Frost, Serong and Phillips is a worry, not for round 1 but for much longer.
I’m not worried about it for a few reasons.
We may only have one of Frost or Phillips being required.
It will come down to how the system works, rather than the individuals, and we still have a lot of class in the back half even in the short term when we’ll have Sicily, Weddle, Scrimshaw and Amon to take the ball away once it hits the deck.

I haven’t understood the hype around Essendon this pre season. Even before today it has seemed they have overvalued where they are at like we did in 2019.

Gresh looked good today, but he won’t help you win a flag. McKay has been in a team which has won a handful of game, that can only effect your adversely effect you mindset and I have no idea why he was paid so much. Dursma is meh. I can’t remember who else they brought in.

Once again our stupid recruiters get it horribly wrong. Could have got a hard bodied midfielder in Sanders who by all reports is going to be a star yet they waste pick 5 on a small forward…..This one will come back to haunt them.

Morons running this club.
We didn't need another mid. Mackenzie, Hustwaite and Ward are already trying to get more midfield time

Essendon should be more advanced list wise, but I feel like the Hawks may be better.

Back