Brisbane v Melbourne.. who will be better in 2024?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Top 4 sides and premiership contenders in recent years.. but who will be better in 2024?

Should be the Lions but sometimes teams flop the year after a losing GF, wouldn’t be surprised if both finish 5-8th.

Melbourne have the list to win the flag. But how have they handled their 2nd straight set exit and all the negative media attention. Gawn isn't as reliable as he once was. Still more then capable. But hasn't run out a season for 2 years. Can Petty get right and be their answer in the forward line.

Lions. Well how do we bounce back? That's the question. List is in very good shape. Youth all in the right spots and experience where it's needed. But do they have the mental toughness to shake off a close (probably shouldn't have been so close) grand final. Does Fagan have it in him to produce a flag winning gameplan.

Lions.

Prelim at worst. More likely A granny and possible flag. Only The we will be able to stop them. TBH, I reckon the Lions. I keep swaying back and forth as to who's going to win. I had us reversing the trend and beating them b2b like they did to us. But I kind of fancy they will get us in the Granny.

I don't think they'll be stopped with that burning fire deep in their soul. Lions Premiers 2024 - You'll hear, the mighty roar!

Brisbane will be minor premiers.
Honestly this year they didn't have the best grand final, had some bad luck with the umps and still only lost by a goal.

Great list, great team, fine management and really good coaching group. Maybe fitness is 8/10, and that's their weakness.

So much upside in a bunch of their kids too, their fathers son picks are fantastic.

Melbourne has a juicy midfield but Gawn wasn't the best this year and Clarry has gone AWOL. The quality is there at the top end but fitness and management are not top tier, and coaching is drifting a bit. Has Goodwin lost some assistants? They failed to make use of Grundy effectively, or trade disaffected players for value so somethings wrong.

The sheer quality at rhe core means they're a chance but not as sure a bet as the Lions or Port. As good a chance as us I'd say, we lack their quality but we make up for that with 10/10 fitness and coaching.

Brisbane have a bit more class with their midfield grunts, can lower the eyes and hit targets. And of course a very lively forward line

The Dees choked in the finals again. They could have beaten us. They should have beaten The Blues.

Massive choke job vs Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions.

Prelim at worst. More likely A granny and possible flag. Only The we will be able to stop them. TBH, I reckon the Lions. I keep swaying back and forth as to who's going to win. I had us reversing the trend and beating them b2b like they did to us. But I kind of fancy they will get us in the Granny.

I don't think they'll be stopped with that burning fire deep in their soul. Lions Premiers 2024 - You'll hear, the mighty roar!
Everyone says this about runners up, every year without fail. Reality is, Brisbane have been near the top end for five years.. the shorter pre seasons will eventually take their toll, and see them regress slightly after a few years near the top!

Everyone says this about runners up, every year without fail. Reality is, Brisbane have been near the top end for five years.. the shorter pre seasons will eventually take their toll, and see them regress slightly after a few years near the top!
I disagree. You could have said the same about them dropping off since 2019. But they haven't. They've continued to get better every season. We made the Granny again the next year in 2003, as we did in 2011. Just like the Lions made 4 straight, The Eagles and Swans 2 straight, Hawthorn x 4, Geelong made 3 straight and made it back again in 2011 and The Saints made b2b. Richmond made b2b and 3 out of 4. Geelong made it in 2020 and again in 2022. Teams can get back there. Brisbane are more than good enough and after that demoralising GF Defeat will take some serious stopping.

I'd back them if I had to pick one. You wouldn't want to face that team with that heartache and level of fire in their belly. The Lion will roar in 2024.

I disagree. You could have said the same about them dropping off since 2019. But they haven't. They've continued to get better every season. We made the Granny again the next year in 2003, as we did in 2011. Just like the Lions made 4 straight, The Eagles and Swans 2 straight, Hawthorn x 4, Geelong made 3 straight and made it back again in 2011 and The Saints made b2b. Richmond made b2b and 3 out of 4. Geelong made it in 2020 and again in 2022. Teams can get back there. Brisbane are more than good enough and after that demoralising GF Defeat will take some serious stopping.

I'd back them if I had to pick one. You wouldn't want to face that team with that heartache and level of fire in their belly. The Lion will roar in 2024.
Heard similar things being said about the Crows this time in 2018.. Bryce Gibbs was meant to be the final piece of the jigsaw!!

Coleman is a huge out, I almost think it swings back to Melbourne being better now but who knows. we won the flag without Rance but we had way more depth especially in our backline, Brisbane will lose so much without Coleman's pinpoint kicking.

I hope I end up being wrong but I still think Brisbane will finish above us. I'm not getting sucked in by our win against the bulldogs last week. They were diabolical.

Back