North Melbourne v West Coast.. who will be better in 2024?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North still have a long way to go, because they might have talented kids, the rest of the team looks average. However, WCE are just rubbish. Can use injury as an excuse but most of the old blokes are well past it. Gaff is a prime example. They may win a couple of extra games when these guys are fit, but don’t think they’ll win more than 5 games.
Weird, here is a list of our oldest blokes and a list of yours
1706175041791.png
Here's your old blokes
1706175145631.png

North still have a long way to go, because they might have talented kids, the rest of the team looks average. However, WCE are just rubbish. Can use injury as an excuse but most of the old blokes are well past it. Gaff is a prime example. They may win a couple of extra games when these guys are fit, but don’t think they’ll win more than 5 games.
Coming from a guy who follows the oldest club in the league lol. Makes a huge difference when you play at your home ground 3 quarters of the year and a good chunk of the rest of the games are 5 minutes down the road.

The Pies are a couple of injuries away from doing a 2023 Geelong

Weird, here is a list of our oldest blokes and a list of yours
View attachment 1892505
Here's your old blokes
View attachment 1892506
What’s so weird? McGovern, Cripps, Darling, Yeo, Gaff (and Nic NAT and Shuey in 2023) have struggled whereas Crisp, Sidebottom, Pendles, Mihocek and Elliot have been fine.

Fairly simple. Or do you disagree that those older played I have listed at West Coast have struggled?

Coming from a guy who follows the oldest club in the league lol. Makes a huge difference when you play at your home ground 3 quarters of the year and a good chunk of the rest of the games are 5 minutes down the road.

Cool story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s so weird? McGovern, Cripps, Darling, Yeo, Gaff (and Nic NAT and Shuey in 2023) have struggled whereas Crisp, Sidebottom, Pendles, Mihocek and Elliot have been fine.

Fairly simple. Or do you disagree that those older played I have listed at West Coast have struggled?
You didn't say have struggled. You said most of our old blokes are well past it in the context of not being able to use it as an excuse in the future.

I agree with Gaff struggling, he has been average for a couple of years, however he responded and significantly improved his output after he was dropped. However Gov, Cripps, Yeo have had limited output because of injury, not because they're past it.
Since 2018
Darling (126 games /239 goals) as second fwd vs your main fwd mihocek (126 games /212 goals)
Cripps (109 games / 141 goals) vs Elliot (90 games/128 goals)
Gaff (119 games / 3142 disposals) vs pendles (131/3222 disposals)
Gov (93 games) vs Howe 92
Shuey 91 vs sidebottom 124
Yeo 82
NN (67) vs Cox (93)
Hurn 110 vs maynard 135
Dug 112 vs Noble 92
Barrass 100 vs crisp 142

So with Shuey, Hurn, NN, now gone, our biggest liabilities or are Yeo/Gov not quite as bad (or past it) as you like to make out.

North by a country mile.

Good thing too, because we can then roll in in the compo picks for WC.

Can't see WC not getting them seeing as the Roos got them last year and the year before.

Particularly given the Roo supporters have wallowed in success for so long.

17 premierships they have enjoyed to just our lousy 4!

1706520733433.png

Death Rider enters the chat

homer simpson licks lips GIF

On paper I still think West Coast are a good team. Could even see them climbing out of the bottom few and into mid-table.

It just depends what kind of year they get out of Yeo, McGovern, Sheed, Ryan and Gaff. If those 5 play consistently good footy they'll surprise a few. If they have another poor year, Eagles are in for a long year again, they'll cost Simmo his job and a few will be 'retired'.

I think North's backline will hold it back from making any big strides up the ladder this year but they have enough talent across the rest of the field to limit that damage. Especially with a coach like Clarko who is great at covering areas of weakness.

This is the first year i think expectations of improvement should be put on North. Now that doesn't mean finals contender but i think they should be hoping to move out of that bottom 2 and i do think they should be clear of West Coast.

North will easily be better here in my opinion. Good pool of solid young stars (Mckercher, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Duursma), combine that with a couple of decent superstars (LDU, Larkey, Simpkin). Just missing the veteran leadership but so are west coast.

North will easily be better here in my opinion. Good pool of solid young stars (Mckercher, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Duursma), combine that with a couple of decent superstars (LDU, Larkey, Simpkin). Just missing the veteran leadership but so are west coast.
I think North in 2025 will be better, Eagles may well be better in 2024 due to the likes of Barass McGovern, Yeo, Kelly, Allen, Flynn.

Last edited:
I came in here ready to take this thread seriously, and then I saw someone suggest that Jaidyn Stephensen is a decent footballer

That's what tipped you off?

Mate, the thread is photos of players to show the size of their muscles and stuff like "so and so would put so and so in the hospital"

It's grade 2 "my dad could beat up your dad" level stuff.

I think we are a sneaky chance to finish just outside of the bottom 4 with a good run with injuries.

I think Eagles will almost certainly be bottom 2.

Back