Who will be better in 2024? Crows or Port?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wingmen play different roles in different teams, but they are still midfielders.

Some coaches prefer them to flood back as extra defenders.

The best ones imo cover a heap of ground both forward & back, & gain plenty of meterage/provide quality delivery... as well as covering the outside of stoppages to stop opposition quick exits.

J Daicos plays mainly on a wing, but Bobby Hill more up forward... but once the ball is bounced, it's not so straight forward!
Oh I meant Brad Hill! Haha. Bobby definitely a small forward to me.

you are selling Luke Pedlar short, he is still only 21 and is a pretty handy/tough young mid.

How about the part where he’s never played as a mid?

He’s been a forward for the crows, and his draft year for Glenelg he played forward.

So when you call him a mid, it’s a complete fabrication.

He’s a forward.

Could he become a mid? Maybe. That’s guesswork, and it may come true but it’s completely wrong to say he’s a midfielder.

I just did. And I matched up a Brownlow medallist at our #5 spot against a guy who averaged 11 disposals a game this year in your #5 spot.

Wingmen is a different category. The Crows (and every other team in the league) probably have better wingmen than Port right now. But when we're talking actual midfielders, it's not even close.

Keep in mind that he listed

Jones - actually plays in defence as far as I’m aware and has been alright for about 10 mins
Smith - used to be a gun but he’s a sneeze away from retiring. Also, he’s playing half back isn’t he? How much time is he spending on the wing in 2024?

hinge
Nankervis
Milera
Curtain (lol)

Not sure that’s a ripping bunch of wings he’s named.

So who will be your wingmen next session... because you need improvement here to take the next step. Gather Houston & Bergman moving from defence. But are you happy to persist using Wines mainly on the outside?

In absolutely no way is our performance of our wings going to dictate our improvement or success in 2024.

We could play 2 spuds from the sanfl on the wings in 2024 and it would have less impact than butters getting a suspension.

As I said, we don’t move the ball outside. It’s not the way we play. All our wings need to be able to do is cover the ground.

Pedlar played mainly as a forward, but did attend CBA's during the year. The intention is he will transition more time in the midfield, along with Rachele & Soligo. No different to paths taken by Butters & Rozee. Pedlar was recruited with a view to playing him mainly in the midfield once his body is ready.

Jones played mainly as a wingman... but was the 1st player we moved back into defence every other game when a defender was subbed off injured.

Also, we moved Smith from half back to wing during the season. Clearly you didn't watch many of our games.

Yet you still won't name your 3 wingmen for next season... is that because you don't know? If you think they only need to cover ground, we can trade you McHenry lol.

Adelaide is unfortunately at risk of being a middling team that misses its window without enough top end talent in the middle to beat the best teams and capitalize on Walker, Laird and Smith before they decline.
Only if Walker and Laird hold their form into 2024 or Thilthorpe has a breakout year will they have any chance of the top 4, and most likely miss finals completely if they do not.

The attitude that 'Adelaide will just improve on 2023 and play finals' is exactly the attitude that plenty of sides have had for the last 20 years, but it doesn't work in an era of drafts and expansion clubs with the importance on midfield ascendancy, when you don’t have enough top end mids coming through.

The reality is that Adelaide will have to see the midfield talent they have pick up the slack quite quickly and have a couple of their 2nd and 3rd rounders hit elite levels to have any chance of winning more than 12 games in 2024.
Except for Rachele and Rankine, most of the best players in their 2023(see B&F results below) team have already hit their peaks - and that was only enough to have them 1 game clear of the bottom 6.

AFC Top Ten:
  1. Jordan Dawson - 132 votes
  2. Rory Laird - 115 votes
  3. Taylor Walker 98 votes
  4. Izak Rankine - 92 votes
  5. Mitch Hinge - 92 votes
  6. Lachlan Murphy - 91 votes
  7. Brodie Smith - 87 votes
  8. Chaise Jones - 80 votes
  9. Ben Keays - 80 votes
  10. Wayne Milera - 79 votes
Meanwhile Port’s midfield and ceiling is to be envied.
You're funny, I'll give you that!

Yet you still won't name your 3 wingmen for next season... is that because you don't know? If you think they only need to cover ground, we can trade you McHenry lol.

I quite literally explained this to you.

no one except our coaches know who port is going to pick to play the wing this year.

I gave you a list of players capable of playing there, who we’ve played there in the past who would be chances.

but again, boak Bergman Farrell Houston sinn and Burgoyne would all be favourites to get picked.

It’s laughable you suggest these guys aren’t fit to tie chayce jones / hinge / smith / nankervis and curtains boot laces.

And again, we play a midfield flood / numbers game where traditional wingmen are the least of our needs.

But… as I remember this is you trying to take the conversation sideways cause you claimed that crows had a deeper midfield than ports.

Which is bullshit.

It was then, and it is now, many posts later.

If I'm picking a midfield unit then I simply cannot go past:

Rozee
Butters
JHF
Houston

Those four are already, or will become elite midfielders. It will be interesting to see how much midfield time Houston gets this season. He was great when he played there, but was also great when moved into the backline to help out Port's defence. So maybe he won't spend much time there this season?

As for the others - I don't really rate Wines that highly and SPP is not a midfielder at this stage of his career, and maybe never will be as he has seemingly found his niche as a wreckingball forward. Boak is an absolute champion but he is on his last legs.

So I reckon those four will form the core of their midfield.

As for Adelaide - Dawson is a gun and arguably the most damaging kick in the competition, and Laird is a gun. Both are AA calibre midfielders.

We know that Crouch is a good midfielder. He seemed out of favour for a few years, and battled injury issues too. But he had a late season renaissance, so it will be interesting to see whether he keeps on playing next season. I'm going to assume he will given Sloane, another champion, is on his last legs too.

I rate Rachele as a huge talent. He's all class. I think he is going to continue to develop into a damaging midfielder that will rest forward.

Outside of Soligo, who looks like a draft steal, I'm not sure about the rest of Adelaide's younger brigade that may receive midfield minutes. I just haven't watched enough as they haven't been given the opportunity as yet.

I also have to acknowledge that Butters and Rozee are two of my favourite players to watch in the league. Rachele is entering that territory too.

If I'm picking a midfield unit then I simply cannot go past:

Rozee
Butters
JHF
Houston

Those four are already, or will become elite midfielders. It will be interesting to see how much midfield time Houston gets this season. He was great when he played there, but was also great when moved into the backline to help out Port's defence. So maybe he won't spend much time there this season?

As for the others - I don't really rate Wines that highly and SPP is not a midfielder at this stage of his career, and maybe never will be as he has seemingly found his niche as a wreckingball forward. Boak is an absolute champion but he is on his last legs.

So I reckon those four will form the core of their midfield.

As for Adelaide - Dawson is a gun and arguably the most damaging kick in the competition, and Laird is a gun. Both are AA calibre midfielders.

We know that Crouch is a good midfielder. He seemed out of favour for a few years, and battled injury issues too. But he had a late season renaissance, so it will be interesting to see whether he keeps on playing next season. I'm going to assume he will given Sloane, another champion, is on his last legs too.

I rate Rachele as a huge talent. He's all class. I think he is going to continue to develop into a damaging midfielder that will rest forward.

Outside of Soligo, who looks like a draft steal, I'm not sure about the rest of Adelaide's younger brigade that may receive midfield minutes. I just haven't watched enough as they haven't been given the opportunity as yet.

I also have to acknowledge that Butters and Rozee are two of my favourite players to watch in the league. Rachele is entering that territory too.
Keep an eye on Pedlar next year too, he can do a bit of Dusty Martin's tricks to bully himself and the ball forward, penetrate and kick goals. We wish he can be as good as Dusty when we need him to be.

Cockadoodledoo...you be shamefaced grommits....pack...yo....bags....

Closing Arrested Development GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question.

Think we could have finished ahead of Port this year if not for a goal umpire.

Reckon it may depend on who we trade in/out as we need some quality experienced players in of we lose both McAdam & Doedee.

We lost plenty of close games this year due to inexperience... which needs to change to make the finals... which we should next year.

Can you add a poll.
you forgot the ace in the Card in Ken Hinkley lol

Adelaide get way more out of their senior players. Walker, Laird, Dawson, Smith are all at the top of their game.

We got very little from Wines, Jonas, DBJ, Dixon this year.

Port have way better youth.

ADL have a much better coach.
I agree that Port have Lots of quality youth.

but Port fans constant bashing of Ken Hinkley means nothing. lol

Adelaide get way more out of their senior players. Walker, Laird, Dawson, Smith are all at the top of their game.

We got very little from Wines, Jonas, DBJ, Dixon this year.

Port have way better youth.

ADL have a much better coach.
Or is port's use at a different development stage?

most players break out when they're 22-23. Most of ports 'youth' is in the 22-24 bracket, Adelaide have a more that are 21 and under

I voted Crows but only under the assumption 2024 Tex is the same as 2023 Tex. Need to get him out there or they are no chance.
Had The Crows got Hardwick as a coach, made a few list changes, I could have understood people thinking The Crows were a chance to overtake Port, but I'm surprised people think The Crows are any chance to overtake Port, Port have a far superior experienced list and The Crows management is sub-par with a very inexperienced list.

Back