Who will be better in 2024? Crows or Port?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh, it’s percentages. 😂
To repeatedly make comments re SPP using your “factual evidence” of CBA numbers and then being shown as utterly clueless as any poster I have EVER seen who doesn’t even understand the most simplistic of footy stats is actually as cringeworthy and embarrassing as I have ever witnessed on this site.

slink away quietly conceding you are genuinely clueless. Don’t know you and have no intention to waste any further time. Goodbye and straight to ignore

To repeatedly make comments re SPP using your “factual evidence” of CBA numbers and then being shown as utterly clueless as any poster I have EVER seen who doesn’t even understand the most simplistic of footy stats is actually as cringeworthy and embarrassing as I have ever witnessed on this site.

slink away quietly conceding you are genuinely clueless. Don’t know you and have no intention to waste any further time. Goodbye and straight to ignore
Sorry to inform you that you can't put a moderator on ignore.

Boak is cooked.

Drew has replaced SPP & whilst not a gun is more consistent as a midfielder than SPP was. More defensive balance too.

Wines is struggling playing more an outside role he isn't suited to. Wouldn't surprise if he is traded next year.

SPP's best football for Port has been as a forward given he is a burst player.
And you didn’t even mention him including the great X Duursma

Your desperation to talk about SPP and not the Crows players you’re always so busy pumping up is fantastic.

When will you admit that JHF has proven far more than your two boys?
These posts are embarassing for a moderator.

Forgetting that you're talking about "proven" regarding a player who has played maybe 25 games there, your trolling of Adelaide supporters is beneath what you'd expect of a mod.

These posts are embarassing for a moderator.

Forgetting that you're talking about "proven" regarding a player who has played maybe 25 games there, your trolling of Adelaide supporters is beneath what you'd expect of a mod.
No more embarrassing than claiming that Soligo and Pedlar are just as proven as JHF in the middle.

But you guys keep ignoring that to rehash the SPP argument, for a small victory.

No more embarrassing than claiming that Soligo and Pedlar are just as proven as JHF in the middle.

But you guys keep ignoring that to rehash the SPP argument, for a small victory.
And you could have stopped them from doing that by just admitting you were wrong rather than fighting an unwinnable fight for the next few pages. But you didn't. Absolutely conduct beneath a moderator.

Similar to last year I reckon, Port around 4 and us around 8.

Butters, Rozee absolute guns and JHF soon to be .
Dawson gun, Laird gun but disposal efficiency lets him down .

Rash had 23% CBA last year but more than double that in the first 6 games.
Killing the pre season running and reckon we run him above 50% CBA for first 8-10 games or hopefully till his bye.
JHF and Rash to have breakout years imo.

Port made top 4 last year and I only see them improving given they needed ruck and key defence reinforcements

JHF will keep getting better and better and eventually overtake Butters as the best player in the side

They have some forward line worries when it matters in big finals IMO but still , can’t see them falling but improving marginally

Crows could have a decent season too but I’ll be happy with any finals

Port absolutely have 2 gun midfielders, but they don't run as deep as the Crows.

I have never said otherwise that Port have 2 quality guns & JHF likely to join them.

Imo, Crows have edge with better midfield depth. Have experienced Dawson, Laird & Crouch (all have been All Australians), along with 3 quality youngsters in Rachele, Soligo & Pedlar.

The best teams have shown you need depth in the midfield to win the big games.

It’s absurd to suggest that crows have more midfield depth than port.

We barely found time for boak and wines there last year, and wines played injured the year (who knows whether that’s left him fully cooked or he can rebound but it doesn’t really matter as we’re not dependent on him regaining form anyway)

Rozee
Butters
Jhf
Drew
Boak
Wines

That’s already very deep

Houston
Bergman
Spp
Sinn

Also can go through there

Houston is a gun, any side that needed a gun mid more than a gun hbf would play him there. We need a gun hbf more than another midfielder.

Bergman has had a few stints in the middle and he’s shown absolute elite traits there.

If sinn can stay on the park that’s another high quality prospect to go through there

Dbj was always labelled a defender, but his role , and best form, was as really as a pseudo-midfielder coming off the back of the square. We could absolutely play him as a midfielder if we needed a hard running contested ball winning player.

We just haven’t needed that type (hence spp also being placed in the half forward line).

Crows midfield is their weakest line, and a work in progress. Maybe there’s some depth, but the problem is that there isn’t the top end there.

Crows fans recently as a collective swore up and down that Schoenberg was going to be a key midfielder.

It’s absurd to suggest that crows have more midfield depth than port.

We barely found time for boak and wines there last year, and wines played injured the year (who knows whether that’s left him fully cooked or he can rebound but it doesn’t really matter as we’re not dependent on him regaining form anyway)

Rozee
Butters
Jhf
Drew
Boak
Wines

That’s already very deep

Houston
Bergman
Spp
Sinn

Also can go through there

Houston is a gun, any side that needed a gun mid more than a gun hbf would play him there. We need a gun hbf more than another midfielder.

Bergman has had a few stints in the middle and he’s shown absolute elite traits there.

If sinn can stay on the park that’s another high quality prospect to go through there

Dbj was always labelled a defender, but his role , and best form, was as really as a pseudo-midfielder coming off the back of the square. We could absolutely play him as a midfielder if we needed a hard running contested ball winning player.

We just haven’t needed that type (hence spp also being placed in the half forward line).

Crows midfield is their weakest line, and a work in progress. Maybe there’s some depth, but the problem is that there isn’t the top end there.

Crows fans recently as a collective swore up and down that Schoenberg was going to be a key midfielder.
Surely you can't be serious counting Boak? That's like me counting Sloane as they are both cooked.

You have 4 regular inside midfielders - Butters, Rozee, Drew & JHF... which is very decent.

You have more issues with your outside mids. Wines has been playing mainly outside but more suited to inside. Houston is quality & like Bergman, but haven't you been using him more in defence. Gather maybe more wing with Duursma traded. Who will be your 3 wingmen next season?

SPP is being played as a very handy forward as is DBJ... can't really count these guys as mids. Sinn hasn't played much yet... perhaps next year is his breakthrough.

Crows have the AA experienced trio in Dawson, Laird, Crouch. Then gather we will rotate Rachele, Soligo & Pedlar though & forward line. That's already more depth... but you have more top end with 2 guns v 1.

Not counting Schoenberg as injured. Berry is depth.

Where I think we have the edge is on the wings with the likes of Jones, Smith, Hinge, Nankervis & Milera all capable of rotating through with half back. Add Curtin to the mix too.

The main reason we improved last season was the better ball movement on the outside... which was evident in both Showdown wins & matching it against likes of Collingwood twice.

You have evened up the rucks with big Ivan to take on ROB.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely you can't be serious counting Boak? That's like me counting Sloane as they are both cooked.

You have 4 regular inside midfielders - Butters, Rozee, Drew & JHF... which is very decent.

You have more issues with your outside mids. Wines has been playing mainly outside but more suited to inside. Houston is quality & like Bergman, but haven't you been using him more in defence. Gather maybe more wing with Duursma traded. Who will be your 3 wingmen next season?

SPP is being played as a very handy forward as is DBJ... can't really count these guys as mids. Sinn hasn't played much yet... perhaps next year is his breakthrough.

Crows have the AA experienced trio in Dawson, Laird, Crouch. Then gather we will rotate Rachele, Soligo & Pedlar though & forward line. That's already more depth... but you have more top end with 2 guns v 1.

Not counting Schoenberg as injured. Berry is depth.

Where I think we have the edge is on the wings with the likes of Jones, Smith, Hinge, Nankervis & Milera all capable of rotating through with half back. Add Curtin to the mix too.

The main reason we improved last season was the better ball movement on the outside... which was evident in both Showdown wins & matching it against likes of Collingwood twice.

You have evened up the rucks with big Ivan to take on ROB.

You said crows had more depth in midfield, now you’re telling me I can’t count players outside our starting 3 mids ?

Yes we use Houston elsewhere, cause we’ve got good mids and need him back more.

He’s still very capable of going through the midfield, and counts as midfield depth.

Yes boak is nowhere near what he was, but considering he’s somewhere between 5th and 8th on our midfield rotation that’s pretty damn good depth. And boaks been much better than Sloane who dropped away a long time ago.

Also my comment about Schoenberg was about how crows fans always rate unproven / early career developing mids as guns until proven otherwise. Thanks for reminding me about berry, who 12 months ago crows fans had a a future gun.

I’ll wait and see with the next proclaimed crows midfield champions.

Crows do not have more midfield depth than port. It’s an absurd suggestion.

Crows do have a base to build from, and with the right drafting and developing that could change.

You said crows had more depth in midfield, now you’re telling me I can’t count players outside our starting 3 mids ?

Yes we use Houston elsewhere, cause we’ve got good mids and need him back more.

He’s still very capable of going through the midfield, and counts as midfield depth.

Yes boak is nowhere near what he was, but considering he’s somewhere between 5th and 8th on our midfield rotation that’s pretty damn good depth. And boaks been much better than Sloane who dropped away a long time ago.

Also my comment about Schoenberg was about how crows fans always rate unproven / early career developing mids as guns until proven otherwise. Thanks for reminding me about berry, who 12 months ago crows fans had a a future gun.

I’ll wait and see with the next proclaimed crows midfield champions.

Crows do not have more midfield depth than port. It’s an absurd suggestion.

Crows do have a base to build from, and with the right drafting and developing that could change.
Where did I say you can't count outside your starting 3 inside midfielders? I named 4 Port inside midfielder for starters! The rest were small cameos like SPP & DBJ.

IMO, Port don't currently have the depth... which would explain why Port Magpies didn't perform as well as the Crows sanfl team.

Also, you didn't answer who will be playing as your wingmen as imo that is where your biggest issue is with your midfield.

How about we list our midfielders in order as to who you see as part of your best side.

Crows Inside (last 3 rotate through forward line)
1 Dawson
2 Laird
3 Crouch
4 Rachele
5 Pedlar
6 Soligo

Crows Outside (last 4 will play significantly in defence)
1 Jones
2 Smith
3 Hinge
4 Nankervis
5 Milera
6 Curtin

Feel free to name Port's.

Where did I say you can't count outside your starting 3 inside midfielders? I named 4 Port inside midfielder for starters! The rest were small cameos like SPP & DBJ.

IMO, Port don't currently have the depth... which would explain why Port Magpies didn't perform as well as the Crows sanfl team.

Also, you didn't answer who will be playing as your wingmen as imo that is where your biggest issue is with your midfield.

How about we list our midfielders in order as to who you see as part of your best side.

1 Dawson
2 Laird
3 Crouch
4 Rachele
5 Pedlar
6 Soligo

1 Jones
2 Smith
3 Hinge
4 Nankervis
5 Milera
6 Curtin

Considering that we have a Brownlow medallist on the same level of the inside mid depth chart where you have Luke Pedlar, I'm happy to stick with 'Port have more midfield depth'.

Considering that we have a Brownlow medallist on the same level of the inside mid depth chart where you have Luke Pedlar, I'm happy to stick with 'Port have more midfield depth'.
You have just confirmed what we have already agreed that you have more top end inside talent. I'm talking depth.

So who will be your outside players next season? Duursma has left. Are you happy for Wines to continue as a wingman?

Feel free to match up you inside & outside midfielders against my list.

I think Port have the midfield edge on The Crows, but I feel like you are selling Luke Pedlar short, he is still only 21 and is a pretty handy/tough young mid. Definitely does have areas of his game that needs improving, but I see no reason why he cannot forge a decent 200 game plus AFL career..

If I mis-read the intent of your comment I apologise, just feel like you were selling Pedlar short in the context of your post.

You have just confirmed what we have already agreed that you have more top end inside talent. I'm talking depth.

So who will be your outside players next season? Duursma has left. Are you happy for Wines to continue as a wingman?

Feel free to match up you inside & outside midfielders against my list.
I just did. And I matched up a Brownlow medallist at our #5 spot against a guy who averaged 11 disposals a game this year in your #5 spot.

Wingmen is a different category. The Crows (and every other team in the league) probably have better wingmen than Port right now. But when we're talking actual midfielders, it's not even close.

I just did. And I matched up a Brownlow medallist at our #5 spot against a guy who averaged 11 disposals a game this year in your #5 spot.

Wingmen is a different category. The Crows (and every other team in the league) probably have better wingmen than Port right now. But when we're talking actual midfielders, it's not even close.
Ah. One of the great semantic questions. Are wingmen (and ruckmen) actually midfielders?

I still don't know the answer.

Wingmen are midfielders... & very important to any structure to ensure good ball movement. It's where we had the edge on you in Showdowns.

So who will be your wingmen next session... because you need improvement here to take the next step. Gather Houston & Bergman moving from defence. But are you happy to persist using Wines mainly on the outside?

Ah. One of the great semantic questions. Are wingmen (and ruckmen) actually midfielders?

I still don't know the answer.
Wingmen are outside midfielders.

If they aren't midfielders, what are they?

They aren't forwards or defenders.

1 Dawson
2 Laird
3 Crouch
4 Rachele
5 Pedlar
6 Soligo

1 Jones
2 Smith
3 Hinge
4 Nankervis
5 Milera
6 Curtin

I already named our midfield depth. Go back and read that.

You spoke about midfield depth, you did not say, “port are deeper in the midfield but not in the wings”.. (which arguably isn’t true either compared to the names you just threw up). Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t jones and smith predominantly half backs. Curtain most certainly isn’t making any impact as a wingman next year lol. who are your starting wings they play most of the game there?

As for ports wingmen…

I don’t know who we will run with through there but we have

Boak, Bergman, Farrell , Houston , sinn, Burgoyne as options and butters and rozee are options to play out on the wing when we want to rotate other players onto the ball. Wines if they want to do that again.

I don’t think it’s an all-star lineup but it holds up well enough. Who do you think most clubs are rolling through their wings? 4 Gary Ablett juniors?

Not too mention that port don’t play through our wingmen anyway. We don’t kick to space in our midfield we flood it and rely on clearance winners to win it back.

Wingmen are outside midfielders.

If they aren't midfielders, what are they?

They aren't forwards or defenders.
I genuinely don't know. There are players who line up at wing but are basically flankers, and there are players who line up at wing but go in when they need to.

To me, Gulden/JKelly is definitely a midfielder but maybe BHill/JDaicos isn't. Just not sure sorry.

I genuinely don't know. There are players who line up at wing but are basically flankers, and there are players who line up at wing but go in when they need to.

To me, Gulden/JKelly is definitely a midfielder but maybe BHill/JDaicos isn't. Just not sure sorry.
Wingmen play different roles in different teams, but they are still midfielders.

Some coaches prefer them to flood back as extra defenders.

The best ones imo cover a heap of ground both forward & back, & gain plenty of meterage/provide quality delivery... as well as covering the outside of stoppages to stop opposition quick exits.

J Daicos plays mainly on a wing, but Bobby Hill more up forward... but once the ball is bounced, it's not so straight forward!

Back