Prediction Who's poised to be the disappointment/let down team of 2024?

Which team(s) will be the disappointment of 2024?

• Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 81 24.3%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 42 12.6%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Geelong

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 26 7.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 53 15.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • Richmond

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • GWS

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 21 6.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is all my subjective opinion, but;

1. Hawthorn over-achieved last year
  2. North are further ahead of Hawthorn in terms of their rebuild, and should now be seeing some sustained improvement
  3. Hawthorn's list is in a bad way, and may have the worst defense in the AFL (North aren't much better in this regard, for what it's worth)
  4. Even before yesterday's injuries, it was my opinion that Hawthorn were the team in the AFL that was least prepared to cover any injuries to key players
  5. I think Hawthorn's 'top' players are very, very over-rated by Hawk fans
I've said it before (and copped abuse from Hawk fans for it) but I think 2024 is going to be the massive bottoming-out year for Hawthorn, and starting next year is when you'll start to rebuild properly out of it.

You'll likely disagree. That's fine.

I really can't fathom how North are ahead in the rebuild given it appears you are starting from ground zero again with further list cuts to experienced players. Sure, you have added more top 5 draft picks thanks to some much needed assistance and in time it could prove to be more fruitful but at this stage I can't even compare North and Hawthorn. The results over the last three years speak for themselves.

Our age and experience is trending up (still second youngest we were the youngest last season) whereas North are going into 2024 as the youngest and least experienced team.

I think man to man our backline is much better than North. Especially in the flanks and the pockets. We've got to a stage were Mitchell is throwing Hardwick forward despite him being a very good back pocket.

On the matter of KPD I would agree that we are light on bodies there but North aren't exactly covering themselves in glory either. Corr and Logue is no superstar duo, unless we are considering Comben to be the Messiah again (at CHB this time rather than CHF).

I have seen a lot of people rating GWS very highly.

I’m prepared to go on record saying they will struggle to make the 8. I think people are getting sucked in by an end of season purple patch, they are a mediocre team that will finish somewhere between 7th-12th.
You could be right but the thing is they virtually were a force from the 2nd half of the season onwards.

Melbourne won’t play finals. No forward line. Petty is already injured so it falls on JVR.

Carlton could very easily collapse. We did it in 2019 after a good 2018 where we made the PF. It’s often the case, sides have a good year then drop away before surging back up. I’ll say Carlton.

Premier will be an interstate team this year. Most likely Brisbane or Sydney.

Unlike Blues though there's not a lot of expectation around the Bombers.

Zzzzffffffppppzzzffffpppzppppffffffffffffffpfpfpfpfpfpffffzzz p
Thats the prolonged deflating sound that Carlton hype balloon is gonna make if you guys don't get to a prelim!

Bombers miss finals again ... meh.. usual
We're due an 8th place finish and a finals belting this year
Id be disappointed if we didn't live up to form.

I really can't fathom how North are ahead in the rebuild given it appears you are starting from ground zero again with further list cuts to experienced players. Sure, you have added more top 5 draft picks thanks to some much needed assistance and in time it could prove to be more fruitful but at this stage I can't even compare North and Hawthorn. The results over the last three years speak for themselves.

Our age and experience is trending up (still second youngest we were the youngest last season) whereas North are going into 2024 as the youngest and least experienced team.

I'm not one to over-react to a practice match, but I will say this;

Based on what I saw vs Collingwood today, it's fair and reasonable to suggest that North Melbourne in 2024 might be the single greatest football team in the history of Australian Rules.

But in all seriousness, I reckon NMFC will win at least 6 or 7 games. I have Hawthorn winning somewhere in the vicinity of 4-8. So it will be close but I believe North will be above Hawthorn.

I'm not one to over-react to a practice match, but I will say this;

Based on what I saw vs Collingwood today, it's fair and reasonable to suggest that North Melbourne in 2024 might be the single greatest football team in the history of Australian Rules.

But in all seriousness, I reckon NMFC will win at least 6 or 7 games. I have Hawthorn winning somewhere in the vicinity of 4-8. So it will be close but I believe North will be above Hawthorn.

North looked very impressive when attacking today. Much different from the safe and boring footy played last year. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come and a sign that Clarko has changed his ways. His coaching style had become quite dour and negative so it was great to see a sign of flair today.

Still looked a bit shaky defensively IMO. It's a young team so it's going to take time to figure out positioning and team defence. Think the pressure applied on the ball carrier also needs improving which will come with match experience/fitness as well. A lot of those young kids are going to need a couple more preseasons to manage that for a 20+ games a season.

I'm a little bit more bullish on North after todays performance but still think you will comfortably be bottom two. I can see North winning 4 - 6 games this season. Got a pretty good draw for it as well.

It's only a praccy match but it looks like you guys might have finally started to bounce off the bottom now which is good for footy.

It's a great result for North today and hopefully gets North some positive media for a change.

North looked very impressive when attacking today. Much different from the safe and boring footy played last year. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come and a sign that Clarko has changed his ways. His coaching style had become quite dour and negative so it was great to see a sign of flair today.

Still looked a bit shaky defensively IMO. It's a young team so it's going to take time to figure out positioning and team defence. Think the pressure applied on the ball carrier also needs improving which will come with match experience/fitness as well. A lot of those young kids are going to need a couple more preseasons to manage that for a 20+ games a season.

I'm a little bit more bullish on North after todays performance but still think you will comfortably be bottom two. I can see North winning 4 - 6 games this season. Got a pretty good draw for it as well.

It's only a praccy match but it looks like you guys might have finally started to bounce off the bottom now which is good for footy.

It's a great result for North today and hopefully gets North some positive media for a change.
Had way more to do with fitness than any deliberate gameplan tweaks imo. The standards had slipped to a crazy degree, started under Scott and only got worse under Shaw and Noble, it took more experienced operators like Clarkson and Viney to identify just how bad it had gotten. They're able to actually play the gameplan now and it will make a very big difference.

Had way more to do with fitness than any deliberate gameplan tweaks imo. The standards had slipped to a crazy degree, started under Scott and only got worse under Shaw and Noble, it took more experienced operators like Clarkson and Viney to identify just how bad it had gotten. They're able to actually play the gameplan now and it will make a very big difference.
I’ll be more impressed if you do it against a team that cares … pies are still half drunk from last season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne stands out at the moment. Too much going wrong at the moment.

I have seen a lot of people rating GWS very highly.

I’m prepared to go on record saying they will struggle to make the 8. I think people are getting sucked in by an end of season purple patch, they are a mediocre team that will finish somewhere between 7th-12th.

I don't know, they looked a genuine contender in that stretch, seeing their defense tightened from conceding 88.2 points on average to 72.1 since the bye and their offense went from 85.5 to 91 points scored.

Equally, they didn't really lose anyone in the off-season.

Still can't fathom it?

Lol I forgot it's the only time of year when North supporters post with some bravado and confidence.

It's a preseason praccy match. My memory might be hazy (I tend not to remember preseason games as significant as they are to some) but I think we got pumped by 15 goals by the Pies last season or season prior.

Brisbane.
They have a stacked team but have been up for some time now and just can’t crack it.

Fact is if they aren’t premiers, the questions will just get bigger. If they don’t make the GF, Fagan’s position will be at risk.

I think Daniher could be the guy who makes or breaks their season. When he was playing well, the forward line looked good and so did Brisbane.

Back