Prediction Who's poised to be the disappointment/let down team of 2024?

Which team(s) will be the disappointment of 2024?

• Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 81 24.3%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 42 12.6%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Geelong

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 26 7.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 53 15.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • Richmond

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • GWS

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 21 6.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane
Collingwood
Melbourne
Carlton
Adelaide
Port
GWS
Hawks

Dogs? I don't know. I've changed this 8 every time.

An early assessment in 2024, surely Adelaide are the prime position now for this, with Brisbane a close second, but they have a little more in them and will likely take some heat off with a win against North Melbourne.

I had the Crows as the potential bolter into the top 4, that's not going to happen and now you have to question if they'll even play finals.

An early assessment in 2024, surely Adelaide are the prime position now for this, with Brisbane a close second, but they have a little more in them and will likely take some heat off with a win against North Melbourne.

I had the Crows as the potential bolter into the top 4, that's not going to happen and now you have to question if they'll even play finals.
Question? They'd be only the 2nd team (AFL era I think) to start worse than 0-3 and make finals. It'd be an amazing effort from here especially with Carlton in Melbourne next week.

Question? They'd be only the 2nd team (AFL era I think) to start worse than 0-3 and make finals. It'd be an amazing effort from here especially with Carlton in Melbourne next week.
Fair point, at 0-5 which seems likely finals would be just about nailed shut.

They're in poll position now to the be the disappointment of the season.

Tigers probably.

They under achieved last year and are food enough to make finals.

Been disppointing so far

Tigers probably.

They under achieved last year and are food enough to make finals.

Been disppointing so far

We spent most of last year without a coach and this year we got a first year coach - if you were actually expecting something from Richmond this year, the only person you've disappointed is yourself.

We spent most of last year without a coach and this year we got a first year coach - if you were actually expecting something from Richmond this year, the only person you've disappointed is yourself.

Well i was - and preseason i had $100 on the Tigers to make the 8 at $5 - they would be double that price now - and after yesterday the $100 is dead money

Yes you had 3 good players out ,

My post got posted somehow before i had finished

Those 3 players i was referring to were Baker Balta and Lynch - but the latter 2 have got long term injuries

But i thought Richmonds 2nd half yesterday ( and i wanted the Tigers to win to keep my bet alive ) was absolutely pathetic , from the very 1st second of the 3rd qtr it was total one way traffic and the Saints could have quite easily won by 7-8 goals because they totally dominated

Tigers have followed the Hawks , they cashed in and won the flags when they had top notch teams - but the era is definitely over , they are not feared anymore , and they are just another team

My post got posted somehow before i had finished

Those 3 players i was referring to were Baker Balta and Lynch - but the latter 2 have got long term injuries

But i thought Richmonds 2nd half yesterday ( and i wanted the Tigers to win to keep my bet alive ) was absolutely pathetic , from the very 1st second of the 3rd qtr it was total one way traffic and the Saints could have quite easily won by 7-8 goals because they totally dominated

Tigers have followed the Hawks , they cashed in and won the flags when they had top notch teams - but the era is definitely over , they are not feared anymore , and they are just another team
Where you scared of losing to Richmond before a final..in all the finals you ended up losing against Richmond.
??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where you scared of losing to Richmond before a final..in all the finals you ended up losing against Richmond.
??

My answers to that mate

Richmond were clearly the best team 2017-20 , so obviously if you played them in that period re finals - you were the outsiders - because the Tigers were clear cut favourites to win so you would be apprehensive about the game

I will give the Cats some credit in that in the 19PF and 20 GF the Cats did give the Tigers a bit of a fright , and in the 1st half of both games alot of Rich supporters would have been concerned about that

Alot are saying in a couple of years time Geel will be in a world of pain , that might be true , but it is all about the now , and Haw are down the bottom and Rich who i thought could sneak in the 8 this year and still be a contender , that is no longer the case , and that 2nd half against StK on the weekend was beyond diabolical

Hawthorn have fallen Richmond have fallen - Geelong in 1-2 years time might fall hard , but at present havent fallen

So far it's the Crows, but a lot of the season to go.
Surely, so far, its Brisbane. Higher expectations for similar results.
I say that as someone who expected the Crows to probably rise a bit this year.

I guess you could argue Brisbane's losses have been against, on average, better sides. (And beating North is no mitigating factor for Brisbane, that's about the equivalent of India's men beating Namibia's under 18 womens team in a 50 over cricket match in Chennai).

Surely, so far, its Brisbane. Higher expectations for similar results.
I say that as someone who expected the Crows to probably rise a bit this year.

I guess you could argue Brisbane's losses have been against, on average, better sides. (And beating North is no mitigating factor for Brisbane, that's about the equivalent of India's men beating Namibia's under 18 womens team in a 50 over cricket match in Chennai).

Brisbane have a) won a game and b) lost by not much to Carlton, Freo and Melbourne. They have not had a good start but it's not a disaster yet.

Crows haven't won a game and have lost to two bottom eight teams from last year.

Obviously the pies are in pretty bad shape considering it’s a flag defence.

I’d say the dogs but it’s been a few years now of disappointment so I’ve kind of expected it. They should have achieved so much more with their list.

Brisbane have a) won a game and b) lost by not much to Carlton, Freo and Melbourne. They have not had a good start but it's not a disaster yet.

Crows haven't won a game and have lost to two bottom eight teams from last year.
Bottom 8 teams ?
Bottom 10 perhaps....

I'm a little confused by the posts about Hawthorn in this thread. Let me see if I grasp people's main contention.

If the Hawks finish the season where most people think they'll finish... somewhere around 13th, 14th, 15th or 16th... with one of the youngest teams in the comp... Above North Melbourne and West Coast... but no higher than 12th... then we will be one of the disappointment / let down teams of 2024... because we didn't make the Top 8 (as predicted by a very small handful of the most optimistic one-eyed Hawf supporters during the pre-season)

Is that it?

Good one, Big Footy! Don't go changing Obeanie1, Kreuuuzeurns, Chadwiko...

It's thoughtful discussions like these which make the Main Board an essential read. :rolleyesv1::thumbsu:

FWIW, here's the latest betting odds for teams to make top 8

Maybe use this as a starting point for the team you believe will be the disappointment/let down team of 2024

$1.14 Collingwood
$1.17 Brisbane
$1.36 GWS Giants
$1.45 Carlton
$1.53 Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Sydney
$1.80 Adelaide
--------------------
$1.91 Geelong
$2.20 Bulldogs
$2.50 St Kilda
$2.75 Essendon, Gold Coast
$4.00 Fremantle
$5.00 Richmond
$6.00 Hawthorn
$15.00 North Melb, West Coast

Pffft.

Reading the Hawks posters preseason it was all unicornes and rainbows. The only way is up.

I recall mentioning that young lists improvement is not always linear, sometimes one year a young list will take one step back before they move forward.

I also mentioned that young developing lists are vulnerable to injuries to a couple of key players really hurts as they dont have the depth developed yet to cover key injuries.

You dont think they are valid points?

Hawks and Crows both look like they have regressed compared to 2023. Why? Key injuries and a young list not having the depth to cover them. North are heading the same way due to injuries to tall defenders that they are having difficulty covering. If the Eagles lose McGovern and Yeo again then they also will be back to 100 point losses as well.

Pffft.

Reading the Hawks posters preseason it was all unicornes and rainbows. The only way is up.

I recall mentioning that young lists improvement is not always linear, sometimes one year a young list will take one step back before they move forward.

I also mentioned that young developing lists are vulnerable to injuries to a couple of key players really hurts as they dont have the depth developed yet to cover key injuries.

You dont think they are valid points?

Hawks and Crows both look like they have regressed compared to 2023. Why? Key injuries and a young list not having the depth to cover them. North are heading the same way due to injuries to tall defenders that they are having difficulty covering. If the Eagles lose McGovern and Yeo again then they also will be back to 100 point losses as well.
Mate, every club has their one-eyed mad passionate nuffies who think they'll play finals and win the flag. Big deal. Mean-spirited clowns on Big Footy seem to take inordinate delight in reading oppo club boards for the nuffie content and then painting entire fan bases with the same brush.

The overwhelming majority of Hawthorn fans have been very realistic about where the club is at. The last 2-3 years has been a wake up call for many... The Clarkson dynasty is well and truly in the rear view mirror. The smug arrogance is long gone. We're now accustomed to being cellar-dwellers.

We know that improvement isn't always linear. We know that we don't have the depth or quality to cover any injuries to key players. We know that we'll need at least 2 or 3 more drafts (and nailing our picks) before we can add some quality free agents and hope to challenge the top dogs.

I don't need to hear your theories on rebuilds and list management. You're not some all-knowing, wise football guru with scintillating original opinions.

Last edited:
Crows almost a Monty to start 0-5 and still yet to play:

GWS
Port x 2
Sydney x 2
Brisbane x 2
Collingwood

Have Cats away later in year too.

Can’t see how the possibly make finals. Will be a great effort if they do

Back