Prediction Who's poised to be the disappointment/let down team of 2024?

Which team(s) will be the disappointment of 2024?

• Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 81 24.3%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Essendon

Votes: 42 12.6%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Geelong

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 26 7.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 53 15.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • Richmond

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • GWS

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 21 6.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll go for either port or the Doggies.
For the so-called "Talent" on these lists they both need to finish top 8.

North/Haw/WCE will probably win about 15 odd Games between them and i think North will be the most competitive out of those 3.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll go for either port or the Doggies.
For the so-called "Talent" on these lists they both need to finish top 8.

North/Haw/WCE will probably win about 15 odd Games between them and i think North will be the most competitive out of those 3.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

15 wins between us. Sorry to let you down Hawks and North but you going to need to do the heavy lifting. Eagles will be lucky to get one win.

15 wins between us. Sorry to let you down Hawks and North but you going to need to do the heavy lifting. Eagles will be lucky to get one win.
Home games against the 3 other side's tipped to be bottom 4.

Eagles should be pumped up for those 3 games at least

I don't go for them so no bias, if everyone is seeing the pre season issues as a speedhump, wouldn't this gesture that the expectations are bing tempered then?

I don't think it would change expectations, because there isn't a guarantee it does impact. Equally, it's only a finite amount of time whilst Oliver and Petracca are at their peak.

Biggest disappointment is obviously relative to expectations, but that means realistically top teams from last year will skew results. Teams who I think might fail;

Carlton - could go all the way or could collapse, they are talented but flakey
Melbourne- all the talent in the world but could see the wheels fall off, also could see them top 2
GWS - could finish top or bottom 5
Adelaide - this is a harsh one, but the expectation is to waltz into the 8 after last year, wouldn’t surprise me if they do, wouldn’t surprise me if the finish 9th.

On us, I think we could push as high as 8 if everything went right, a reasonable chance for 12-13 but could see us as low as 15. Improvement from last year is what is important

Couldn't be more confident in my pick - Carlton.

Voss is an utter dud. Could play footy but is devoid of people skills and has a low IQ. Miraculous second half of 2023 will only prolong the enjoyment for non-Carlton supporters as somehow this bloke now has some bargaining power, and it won't be as straight forward as the Carlton powerbrokers would prefer when the vultures start circling.

Ten weeks into the season, his tenure will dominate the media airwaves.

Voss is an utter dud. Could play footy but is devoid of people skills and has a low IQ.

Not saying you’re wrong re: Carlton, but I’d be interested to hear more about this.

Do you know him / have you had any sort of interaction with him?
Or is it more a ‘vibe’?

Not saying you’re wrong re: Carlton, but I’d be interested to hear more about this.

Or is it more a ‘vibe’?
Has there ever been a coach sacked and then employed by another club and won a premiership?

Or is it more a ‘vibe’?
In terms of results Voss hasn’t done a bad job since he was appointed Carlton coach. I think the list is very good but I don’t think anyone could expect more in terms of ladder finishes.

However, I have no idea how Voss got the job in the first place. His record at Brisbane was terrible and he was part of the reason they went on a 10 year rebuild. He then went to port in 2015 as as midfield coach.

Ports midfield severely under performed until 2020. 2020-2021 seasons it improved, however there mids were still comprehensively beaten up in a prelim in 2021 that they were odds on favourite to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints were pretty average for large parts of the game today.

Playing like that for a season and they will be lucky to make the 8.

If we're talking expectations vs actual performance, I fear Gold Coast. Most think they'll play finals under Hardwick but I'm not totally convinced. Their late season fade was concerning. Hope I'm wrong though, they've played 13 seasons, about time they're relevant.

If we're talking expectations vs actual performance, I fear Gold Coast. Most think they'll play finals under Hardwick but I'm not totally convinced. Their late season fade was concerning. Hope I'm wrong though, they've played 13 seasons, about time they're relevant.
more than a fade, it's the first 10 weeks

The Saints were pretty average for large parts of the game today.

Playing like that for a season and they will be lucky to make the 8.
Maybe. Although, I think St Kilda have the players and coach to be playing finals footy.

Has there ever been a coach sacked and then employed by another club and won a premiership?
David Parkin quit just before he was sacked after the Hawks finished 8th (of 12) in 1980. He went to Carlton and had an immediate impact, winning back to back flags in 1981-82. But it worked out alright for Hawthorn too. They coaxed Yabby Jeans out of retirement and he steered the Hawks to their golden 80's era.

edit: oh yeah... Carlton's John Elliott sacked Parko too after their 0-4 finals record in 1983-84-85... Only to rehire him again as coach in 1991. Premiers 1995.

Back