Best individual finals performance in AFL/VFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

First impact - wins an in dispute ball, bites off the inboard kick and nails it, Richmond kick their 2nd goal

Then going into half time Richmond were down 35 to 14. Dusty creates a goal out of nothing and finishes, a 20% chance goal for anyone else (Kolodjashnij likely nails the tackle on anyone else). If the ball had rebounded out and the last goal of the half had gone the other way Richmond are on the canvas at half time.

He then goes on to kick the go ahead goal, another in dispute goal where he created it out of nothing.

And then the sealer, a 55 meter kick while being tackled and under a lot of pressure?

Add into that he had a big inside 50 tackle, another centering ball that should have been goaled, and a goal assist…not to mention the icing on the cake with a goal that would have been as good as any in that final series (but yes no influence on the result by then).

He won that grand final for Richmond.
Yeah I watched the game and have dissected the highlights. It doesn't change anything about what I said. Richmond had 8 of the best 10 players on the ground and dominated most stats. They knew they could overrun Geelong as they had done it in 2 previous finals.

The last goal was a great highlight but like you said, inconsequential.

Luckily as a Geelong supporter I've been able to witness many insane opposition performances in finals. The bursts of Matera 1992 and Davis 2005 were more ridiculous and soul destroying than Martin's in 2020 or Williams in 1995.

Yawn worthy trolling. Let's try to have a thread that Richmond troglodytes don't ruin.
Funny how you resort to name calling when oppo supporters use the exact same line of argumentation that you yourself used to diminish the achievement of a player who cost you a premiership. Enjoy that projection mate

Funny how you resort to name calling when oppo supporters use the exact same line of argumentation that you yourself used to diminish the achievement of a player who cost you a premiership. Enjoy that projection mate
Ablett got on the end of his midfields work, Dusty changed the game for a win for his team

Ablett got on the end of his midfields work, Dusty changed the game for a win for his team

As a neutral there's no contest.

Dusty grew into a superb hard skilled midfielder who intimidated opponents with his attack on the ball. As a big game player he is probably the GOAT, elevating his extremely high standards in finals. Love him.

Ablett was a strangely unprofessional player who could go missing at inconvenient times.

Ablett was superior to Martin as a footballer in every area of skill and physical prowess. Stronger, more skilled, better mark, better longer kick, better dinky trick shots, brilliant handball (on the rare occasions he used it). Abletts brain worked faster than light it seemed.

Although he was freakishly strong (he broke Dipper in two, straight after he was knocked out cold by Ayres) Abletts most noticeable feature was footspeed. He covered ground like the swiftest rover. He was so fast you forgot he was a wingman who dominated giant fullback and obliterated packs.

Dusty is no slouch but he could not live with Ablett for pace, strength, skill or aggression.

Dusty has become something of an onfield leader, and his teamwork seems top tier, really excellent at bringing team mates into the game.

I never saw anything like that from Ablett, he was a strangely detached man.

Dusty is a far more professional player and a really nice peraon, and much more supportive of his team mates.

Anyone who thinks Martin is a better player needs to watch more footy.

Last edited:
Troglodyte isn't an insult, it's a term for a man accustomed to living in a cave.

Such a man who watched Ablett's grand final may have concluded "real junk time game". That's not to say his opinion is wrong, just that it is one likely to be shared by fellow troglodytes.

Find me just one instance where I use such a term for Martin's 2020 grand final. There is a difference between adding caveats politely and diminishing completely, in an exaggerated and unpleasant way.

As a neutral there's no contest.

Dusty grew into a superb hard skilled midfielder who intimidated opponents with his attack on the ball. As a big game player he is probably the GOAT, elevating his extremely high standards in finals. Love him.

Ablett was a strangely unprofessional player who could go missing at inconvenient times.

Ablett was superior to Martin as a footballer in every area of skill and physical prowess. Stronger, more skilled, better mark, better longer kick, better dinky trick shots, brilliant handball (on the rare occasions he used it). Abletts brain worked faster than light it seemed.

Although he was freakishly strong (he broke Dipper in two, straight after he was knocked out cold by Ayres) Abletts most noticeable feature was footspeed. He covered ground like the swiftest rover. He was so fast you forgot he was a wingman who dominated giant fullback and obliterated packs.

Dusty is no slouch but he could not live with Ablett for pace, strength, skill or aggression.

Dusty has become something of an onfield leader, and his teamwork seems top tier, really excellent at bringing team mates into the game.

I never saw anything like that from Ablett, he was a strangely detached man.

Dusty is a far more professional player and a really nice peraon, and much more supportive of his team mates.

Anyone who thinks Martin is a better player needs to watch more footy.
Ablett Sr is the best player I’ve seen in my 45 years of football memory. By some margin. He was the freakiest of freaks who had all the sublime skills and physical attributes. Like most gifted virtuosos, he operated in his own bubble and was not the team oriented player of some other greats with lesser natural ability. Does that detract from his ‘greatest individual player’ standing? No ******* way!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back